Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hounds and suchlike  (Read 1471 times)

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: Hounds and suchlike
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 10:47:29 pm »

Personally I would like to have the Dungeon Master Phased out entirely in favor of great trainers or some sort of Exotic training expeditions. He could just be a bonus since you could get him much earlier then you could a great trainer or something.

Animals wielding weapons should only be able to improve their weapon skills by a trainer unless they are also intelligent.
Oh noes, the warbeasts have battle claws, and spiked bracelets!!!

The goblin has been sheared in half.
The goblin's  head is impaled through.
The goblin has been struck down.
Pwn'D...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 10:58:40 pm »

Chickens in real life have also had barbs! (or Spurs...)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 12:02:30 am »

The ability to tame local wildlife and assign them as war animals - double damage modification nonwithstanding - would be nice.

For example, if War Dogs and Wolves were equal in terms of damage/stats, then having Wolves would be purely an aesthetic choice. Having, say, Alligators as a later option would be suitable for when you have a Dungeon Master.

Of course, Goblin sieges need to increase in accordance. Give them ratlike reproduction rates, we're tired of all this goshdarn stability!
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 07:33:04 am »

Also the level should determine if they can train other animals. Novices can only train dogs, ... legendaries can train cats.

Fix'd.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 12:41:01 pm »

The ability to tame local wildlife and assign them as war animals - double damage modification nonwithstanding - would be nice.

For example, if War Dogs and Wolves were equal in terms of damage/stats, then having Wolves would be purely an aesthetic choice. Having, say, Alligators as a later option would be suitable for when you have a Dungeon Master.

Of course, Goblin sieges need to increase in accordance. Give them ratlike reproduction rates, we're tired of all this goshdarn stability!

Making different animals trainable is one of the more common mods people put in.

personally, I think the long term solution to this is to allow users to define their own upgrades to animals, kind of like a <trainable:War Dog: XX> where war dog is the creature it becomes and XX is the difficulty.  Then you could make war dogs 'slow learners'.   (or train apes to use weapons ;))

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 02:01:19 pm »

This seems to be one of those suggestions that have all the advantages: it is in line with the game play style of DF, it naturally and relevantly extends the usability of an already existing profession/skill (animal trainer) and existing mechanics (pets, hunting and war dogs), and it brings awesomeness and build ups of extended game value beyond and after the initial challenge of establishing the fortress, all without additional complication. Also, it might finally bring something worthwhile from those annoying elven traders (exotic animals).
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2008, 08:36:34 am »

Ooh! Make battle-carp!
Pages: 1 [2]