Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hounds and suchlike  (Read 1473 times)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
Hounds and suchlike
« on: October 16, 2008, 04:59:17 pm »

When playing a game it is always gratifying being able to upgrade what you have. The only warfare companions we have at the moment are dogs, which can be trained to wardogs or hunting dogs.

First I'd like to see them gain experience and deadliness with time, as the dwarves do. Also, perhaps a beastmaster (animal trainer) could continue to work on them to help them improve. As it is now warhounds are basically cheap cannon fodder.

Also, I would like that with time you should be able to capture and tame the younglets of certain animals (great cats, acid armadillos, the Great Eagletross, imp salamanders, perhaps even drakes) and use, even breed, similar to hounds.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: Hounds and suchlike
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 05:25:01 pm »

When playing a game it is always gratifying being able to upgrade what you have. The only warfare companions we have at the moment are dogs, which can be trained to wardogs or hunting dogs.

First I'd like to see them gain experience and deadliness with time, as the dwarves do. Also, perhaps a beastmaster (animal trainer) could continue to work on them to help them improve. As it is now warhounds are basically cheap cannon fodder.

Also, I would like that with time you should be able to capture and tame the younglets of certain animals (great cats, acid armadillos, the Great Eagletross, imp salamanders, perhaps even drakes) and use, even breed, similar to hounds.
You mean, furthering the task of the ranger types?

My like, The Legendary Warbeast has claimed the life of yet another competition, and it's only at [Fame Level][Arena Name].

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 05:26:24 pm »

I assign a war dog to everyone with a kid or who has to work outside the keep regularly, it's my goblin detection system.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 05:53:43 pm »

Yeah, giving some additional use to the animal trainer and forager skills. Also, it would be absolutely epic to see the battles my legendary axemaster and his war chimaera has!
You are a pirate!

If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 05:57:47 pm »

Plus if Training dummies are ever added to the game they could also help in the training of animals.

Though one problem is that some creatures cannot learn

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 06:27:47 pm »

Creatures would slowly learn, even if they couldn't normally. Dogs don't have [CANLEARN] or whatever it is, but they can be trained. It makes sense that an experienced trainer would be able to further their training. They would need to gain some battle experience before going to the next "level". Sparring could increase their level above basic war-dog level a bit, but not to super-hound.
Some more powerful creatures would need a [trAINABLE_BASIC_ONLY] tag because they're deadly enough already.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 06:33:18 pm »

Combine with pet armour to double the awesome  ;)
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 06:33:40 pm »

The suggestion makes sense, if I look at it from the modding perspective. However this wouldn't really work with dogs. Their physical abilities are quite limited.

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 06:42:26 pm »

The suggestion makes sense, if I look at it from the modding perspective. However this wouldn't really work with dogs. Their physical abilities are quite limited.

There was this crazy body builder on Venice Beach in the 80's that always equipped his dog with heavier and heavier weights on its wrists and back. The dog grew more and more muscular until it looked like a Belgian Blue bull...
You are a pirate!

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 06:45:05 pm »

The extra training should be tied to the level of animal training the trainer has, so a novice trainer couldn't train a dog to uber-awesome, but a legendary one could. Also the level should determine if they can train other animals. Novices can only train dogs, skilled can also train big cats, masters can train unicorns, legendaries can train dragons.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 07:07:41 pm »

Novices can only train dogs, skilled can also train big cats, masters can train unicorns, legendaries can train dragons

I realise WHY this is the case, however this doesn't reflect reality.

Animals should resist training based on their personality rather then their danger level. It should also reflect that fact that these creatures are already tamed (Horses are harder to tame then Dogs, but they are much easier to train).

Though I will agree that the list you gave there would probably match a list based on personality.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 07:18:33 pm »

Only thing we really need are pets that keep up with their masters. Wardog guards are practically worthless since their masters are typically twice as fast. The stunties should not run faster than dogs!

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 08:05:52 pm »

It'd be nice if we could choose our trainee, via Unit View.

Press 't' to train this pet: [InsertStatusToken=NO|HUNTER|WAR] (This hauls them off, via Trainer, to an accessible kennel to be trained )

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 08:36:12 pm »

This also ties in with the topic of mounts. Though I have some difficulties seeing dwarves on horses, training an animal as a mount might also be an option in addition to the two in the previous post. And I do see my dwarves riding into battle on a bear, boar, triceratops or for that matter on an elephant. Bonus credits for training a carp as a mount. Battle-trained mounts have their normal attacks, and mount-trained beasts can be ridden. A nice symmetry.
You are a pirate!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 09:40:00 pm »

Personally I would like to have the Dungeon Master Phased out entirely in favor of great trainers or some sort of Exotic training expeditions. He could just be a bonus since you could get him much earlier then you could a great trainer or something.

Animals wielding weapons should only be able to improve their weapon skills by a trainer unless they are also intelligent.
Pages: [1] 2