Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: New Player  (Read 3455 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: New Player
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 10:52:48 pm »

If any animal (including dwarves) falls asleep/unconscious on a trap, the trap will be activated.  This was added in the 39a-e versions.
Artifacts are created as long as the fort meets certain requirements which are listed in the wiki under "strange mood".  If you're lucky, you'll get artifact weapons and armor, but only champions can wield/wear them.  Champions are soldiers/warriors who reach legendary in wrestling or a weapon skill.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2008, 12:04:54 am »

Ahhhh, thanks for the info...also just tried to gen a map with 10,000 years of history..but it only went to year 300, does this mean it didn't do it or the 10k went by in different epochs that I didn't see?>

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 12:17:59 am »

ANSWER!!!!
KA-BAM!!!!
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 04:53:36 am »

Someone ought to add something about the Megabeast check to the wiki article on world creation.  Someone with a wiki account.

Basically, in the latest versions megabeasts die off allot faster and Toady set a customizable parameter where your world gen will run until a certain date before starting to check what percentage of megabeasts is left.  For large worlds it's set to year 300 and 80 percent, so worldgen usually ends at 300.  You can change it by pressing "e" at the world gen menu.  The options are on the first page of advanced parameters so they should be easy to find.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 04:59:23 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 08:42:04 am »

And kittencuddler, that's kababs, or kebabs if you insist on writing it wrong yet in an acceptable manner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabab

"Kebab (also transliterated as kabab, kabob, kibob, kebhav, kephav)"

Just saying!

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 12:07:07 pm »

Why do I always start out with only being able to give steel bolts/battle axes?! Expensive...

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2008, 12:21:22 pm »

On the embark skills/items screen, you can hit [n] to get a list of all the things you can bring.  If you don't have enough points to bring what you want, you can drop some things.  Most people tend to drop the anvil, I believe, since you can buy one in-game.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2008, 12:23:01 pm »

Yes...I know this...but even with the new world I started it only allows me steel weapons (Except for xbows) and that's REALLY expensive..especially bloody bolts.  Why is this?

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2008, 12:34:07 pm »

Some dwarven civilizations (normally, there are more than one: on the embark screen, hit tab until you get to a list of them and then you can select a particular one) don't have access to certain metals and other materials, I believe.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 12:35:25 pm »

But I have iron stuff...but not iron weps?  and not even all weps?  And it seems everyone I pick..

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2008, 08:24:27 pm »

Just tried adventure mode for the first time...why does sleeping take..forever? 

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 09:40:19 pm »

Because while you sleep, it keeps track of everything going on around you. This is why you could wake up missing an arm if your not careful. Of course, you can just 'T'ravel, thats as good as sleeping.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 10:55:16 pm »

I was lightly wounded..didn't want to hit another Grizz while hurt...of course then a BLACK bear killed me?! Bs.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2008, 04:49:01 am »

You instantly heal when you travel since healing hasn't been implemented in adventure mode yet.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2008, 05:39:18 am »

Ahhhh, thanks for the info...also just tried to gen a map with 10,000 years of history..but it only went to year 300, does this mean it didn't do it or the 10k went by in different epochs that I didn't see?>

A world with a history of 10.000 years? Thats genius! (although i have no idea if its actually possible)
The thing is that all megabeasts will have died long before that and megabeast do make the game a whole lotta fun, also the generation of a world ends when a certain percent (i think default is 80%) of them megabeasts died, thats default but you can change that when "generating a new world with parameters" and then typing "e". (will probably take you a while figuring out how every parameter effects the generation of a world though, likely with a lot of endless rejects after altering a parameter too much for example).
I also wouldn't advice genning a medium or bigger sized world with a 10.000 year history span, that will likely take forever (in my case, it will likely take 1:1 time cause my computer sucks  ;D). I don't even know wether much would happen for the last 9000 of those 10.000 years. In any case, gonna try genning a small sized world with such a history, i'm affraid of entering legends thereafter though, lol.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.
Pages: 1 2 [3]