Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New Player  (Read 3451 times)

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Player
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 04:13:42 pm »

Bump/ Is there anyway to resize the game? I'd like to play window'd mode but it's so small on my resolution.  Also I will endevour to find out all my info on the wiki etc from now on, like I found how to build mechanisms...

EDIT- Is there something special I have to do to give things to people trying to build artifacts?  The guy was thinking of skeletons and shells..I had shells and animals..
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 04:15:50 pm by Snall »

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 06:01:50 pm »

Bump/ Is there anyway to resize the game? I'd like to play window'd mode but it's so small on my resolution.  Also I will endevour to find out all my info on the wiki etc from now on, like I found how to build mechanisms...

EDIT- Is there something special I have to do to give things to people trying to build artifacts?  The guy was thinking of skeletons and shells..I had shells and animals..

Can't help you with the size changing. Check the Tilesets page on the wiki. For the second one, he wants bones. You get bones when you butcher animals or when their corpses rot.

Migrants are decided by how well your doing, based on created wealth and mined out areas. Migrant waves are notorious for being larger than anybody wants them. For the animal trap one, people with the Trapping skill enabled build the animal traps. It's stupid, especially because it's not listed in game, but whatever. As for hunting dogs, they cannot be reassigned unless their owner dies, as I understand it.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Anu Necunoscut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 06:03:49 pm »

I play at 1280x400 windowed, with the curses 800x600 font and black space set to NO.  A good rule is to have the width be the same as your desktop res, and the height being about 1/3 of the width.  That fills up about half the screen, makes the tiles squarish, and allows me room for a browser.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 09:01:58 pm »

You need to edit init/init.txt (or is it init.ini?). I normally just double the default sizes to 1280 by 600.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 09:49:04 pm »

I killed my first goblin! Mwahah...sure I had to set my patrol all the way out there, there really should be a one off command to send soldiers somewhere without making a patrol route?, so that's nice...I had some questions I thought up while I was at work but I can't remember them now...hmm, how to order my soldiers to train maybe?  I have two archery butt's but my 2x marksdwarves are still only dabbling.

Ah here's a question- I have food but they keep telling me they're canceling giving food (I have 3 injured dwarves) because there's no food...I have food in 3 storage pits that they seem to find when hungry...what's up with this?  I also have bags/buckets etc.+

ALSO- Of my 3 injured dwarves one flashed a medical red cross sign, one a yellow sign, and one a blue arrow pointing down?

AND- I just tried to 'milk creature' at the farm, however I couldn't because it need unrotten milkable creature...I have a cow..so..?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:01:55 pm by Snall »

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 11:33:16 pm »

Hmmm, even more important it says I can't link my speartrap stuff to my pressure plate...I have mechanisms/speartraps..I even tried building a speartrap around the pressure plate to see if that would work...

ElectricEel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 01:13:52 am »

I killed my first goblin! Mwahah...sure I had to set my patrol all the way out there, there really should be a one off command to send soldiers somewhere without making a patrol route?

IIRC there is? AFAIK you can station squads to a specific location on the map through the menu through which you control your squads.

ALSO- Of my 3 injured dwarves one flashed a medical red cross sign, one a yellow sign, and one a blue arrow pointing down?

Red and yellow crosses indicate injuries of different severity and a blue arrow pointing down means the dwarf is thirsty. You'll find explanation for all the status icons here.

AND- I just tried to 'milk creature' at the farm, however I couldn't because it need unrotten milkable creature...I have a cow..so..?

Dwarves apparently don't know how to milk cows. IIRC the only creature you can currently milk is the purring maggot.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 11:10:32 am »

Thanks for the info!  Any idea about the speartrap thing with a pressure plate?  I can make all the other traps that don't need pressure plates..but the spear/spike thing needs a pressure...

EDIT- Also need to know why no one can feed my hurt dwarves now?  (The error message, 'no food')
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:17:55 am by Snall »

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 01:52:21 pm »

You also know what is awesome?  I thought I had a meeting to go to today...but now I realized (Cause i'm slow) that it's tomorrow and I can play DF for another 5 hours! 

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 02:31:49 pm »

Help: I thought cage traps didn't get my dwarves? I just had one captured...and now he's in the animal stockpile in it and I can't seem to release him...

EDIT -It seems that you can place cages with hostile creatures in them? But I can't seem to place this cage with a dwarf in it, only the other ones.

EDIT- Ahh, I had it set to dump a while ago to try to get him out so it wasn't in the list.

EDIT--...well I set him out there, hit enter on his name to remove him...but no one did...and even though I made some barrels no one ever gave him water...he died.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 03:03:55 pm by Snall »

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 04:51:53 pm »

That's morbidly hilarious.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 04:52:56 pm »

...and then a raccoon stole his shoe.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 04:57:23 pm »

..as reading this topic somehow "boatmurdered" popped up in my mind.  ;D

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 05:08:54 pm »

The strange thing is I know more building this fortress, but the one before it seems to have done better (Still playing that one too)...this is my first place with traps though...I'm still curious as that dwarf got trapped as he wasn't crazy, etc,..he was just getting water.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 10:28:18 pm »

Are artifact weapons ever made? That would be super.
Pages: 1 [2] 3