Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: GHAAAARGH!!! PARTIES!  (Read 1775 times)

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GHAAAARGH!!! PARTIES!
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 02:06:26 pm »

If I see a party being thrown, I undesignate the room right away. And it seems to happen without fail, every time I try and make ANYTHING a free room "PAAAAAARTTTYYYYY!" regardless of what I want done. So, I find the dwarf who usually throws the parties, put him on a hatch via military duty, and then he gets to have his parties alone in dwarven hell where all the dwarves who derail my plans of world domination erm... peace, with rivers of booze, go. That sometimes stalls them, and the adamantine statue in the dining room makes them nice and happy, even though they all lost a friend.

I should try something like that. sadly, for now, i can't waste any dwarves, no matter how annoying. and considering that its normally legendaries who start my parties, its definitely no option for now.

Also, whenever I see your avatar but I'm not looking right at it, for some reason I see Stewey as Darth Vader from that family guy episode... weird.

lol :D
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 02:47:57 pm »

The problem I've noticed with parties is that they seem to go in waves for me.  All the founders are friends; all the first immigrants are friends; all the second wave; and so on.  So every time one part stops, another begins, keeping a certain portion of the populace busy all the time, with the rest usually sleeping or, my most hated nemesis, "On Break".  I hate On Break.  It's like their own little way of saying, "Screw you, I'm not touching a bit of work for the next seven weeks."  I nearly killed a succession game with a engraved dining room with silver furniture.  Had to undesignate the place just to get trading done.

Build nice wide hallways for the main traffic of your fortress, the most well trafficed of them drop some platinum statues in, dont even designate them anything. Make a nice huge (say 20x20) dining area and fill it with seats, tables, and carved (engraved) areas.
This is my usual plan now.  The appreciation bonuses just from being around cool furniture works wonders on my little idiots' minds.  Best of all, train up a cook to near Legendary - the prepared meals can keep dwarves ecstatic without even tables to sit at, though not quite the invincible happiness of everything combined.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 05:11:54 pm »

Well, the thing about parties is that, only friends/(and lovers/spouses/children to i presume) of the party starter get invited. t

his is why that, when a random child throws a party, less people may go, because he only has a few friends. or when your Double legendary miner/engraver from the starting 7 throws a party, half the fort turns up since he's friends with them ::)
Magma is overrated.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 05:53:55 pm »

my most hated nemesis, "On Break".  I hate On Break.  It's like their own little way of saying, "Screw you, I'm not touching a bit of work for the next seven weeks."

I draft/undraft dwarves who are on break.
Shoes...

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 07:19:07 pm »

my most hated nemesis, "On Break".  I hate On Break.  It's like their own little way of saying, "Screw you, I'm not touching a bit of work for the next seven weeks."

I draft/undraft dwarves who are on break.

Does that work to get them out of parties though?
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 10:10:43 pm »

NEVER build statue rooms, zoos, or designate your dining hall meeting room.

I wish partying was a little less broken.  For realism's sake and making dorf's happy sake I'd love to let them party, but it gets out of control. 

I wish only idle dorfs would party, and when a task came up for them they'd do it, perhaps after a bit of a wait.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 10:20:13 pm »

I was sure this thread was called "GHAAAARGH!!! PIRATES!".
Sigh.

Weird.  It just occurred to me that every time I see this thread, I join it to read about pirates, but I'm immediately sidetracked and forget that I was supposed to be reading about pirates, not parties.
Shoes...

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 02:32:11 am »

Ive actually found that parties are the worst thing for a fortress short of a flood of water or lava.

Build nice wide hallways for the main traffic of your fortress, the most well trafficed of them drop some platinum statues in, dont even designate them anything. Make a nice huge (say 20x20) dining area and fill it with seats, tables, and carved (engraved) areas. Those two things alone (along with optional private bedrooms) are the best way to keep your dwarves in "always extatic mood".

"My wife has been hacked to pieces, and I was forced to eat my own cat... nothing could wrench my soul from this state of despai... HOLY DAMN THAT'S A NICE STATUE! My life is complete! I'm so very happy!!!"

The lesson here is that if we would place one large aluminum statue in every homeless shelter of the world, they'd all be rolling around ecstatically on the floor, too enraptured in their own bliss to remember to eat the free soup or claim some new, clean, free donated clothing.
Pages: 1 [2]