Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GHAAAARGH!!! PARTIES!  (Read 1768 times)

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
GHAAAARGH!!! PARTIES!
« on: July 26, 2008, 08:26:03 am »

ok, I'm gona go bonkers if these dwarves throw one more party  :'( they throw one atleast ounce a month! nothing is getting done around the fortress!! is there some way to make them stop throwing/attending parties??
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
Re: GHAAAARGH!!! PARTIES!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 08:34:28 am »

Remove all the meeting halls, meeting areas, zoos and statue gardens.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 08:40:53 am »

Wells make parties too.

Meeting zones are fine as long as they are designated via "i" (zone) -> Meeting zone.
To avoid parties avoid meeting areas through tables, statue gardens, zoos and wells.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 08:43:36 am »

thanks for the replies. i might finally manage to get some work done around here :D
<@Akroma> eh

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 08:51:59 am »

I was pretty annoyed by this in the beginning too. Actually there was a period when I thought that they party if there'd been any tables/statues/wells inside the meeting zone...
It's wrong, so you may safely assign a meeting zone atop of your dining hall as long as you do it with "i" and not table options.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 08:55:01 am »

You can also stop a party by undesignating and redesignating a meeting zone.

They *are* a decent way of building stats, though, so I keep them going as long as I don't have anything urgent to do.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 09:17:50 am »

Ive actually found that parties are the worst thing for a fortress short of a flood of water or lava.

Build nice wide hallways for the main traffic of your fortress, the most well trafficed of them drop some platinum statues in, dont even designate them anything. Make a nice huge (say 20x20) dining area and fill it with seats, tables, and carved (engraved) areas. Those two things alone (along with optional private bedrooms) are the best way to keep your dwarves in "always extatic mood".

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 09:20:32 am »

They *are* a decent way of building stats, though, so I keep them going as long as I don't have anything urgent to do.

Is this because of the social skills increasing? I have always wondered at those seeming to go up without me noticing...
By far the worst thing about having a long running fortress with regular parties is when a couple of dwarves finally die.

I once got an artifact platinum cage so designated it as a zoo in one big room (it had kittens in it!). Many parties and happy dwarves later, I got seiged, lost fiveish dwarves and the zoo literally became a massive brawl. In the end I flooded my fortress with magma, too annoyed to let anyone survive.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 09:39:26 am »

Is this because of the social skills increasing? I have always wondered at those seeming to go up without me noticing...

Yep.

But still, losing a friend is only a -30 or -20.  That's equivalent to a legendary drink. 

It's your choice if you want a constant small happiness and stats boost with the risk of consequences being worse in a disaster, or no boost and less consequences. 

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 09:43:11 am »

Yeah, but losing several friends and then the said friends rotting in open air is quite a hefty chunk. Then it just takes one dwarf tantrumming to make it even worse.

That said, I prefer to have a party room because otherwise I feel they have no leisure time and I am not a complete bastard...

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 09:56:35 am »

Quote from: Deon
I was pretty annoyed by this in the beginning too. Actually there was a period when I thought that they party if there'd been any tables/statues/wells inside the meeting zone...
It's wrong, so you may safely assign a meeting zone atop of your dining hall as long as you do it with "i" and not table options.

This is good to know.  Thanks.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 11:24:33 am »

I was sure this thread was called "GHAAAARGH!!! PIRATES!".
Sigh.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 11:48:56 am »

Yeah, but losing several friends and then the said friends rotting in open air is quite a hefty chunk. Then it just takes one dwarf tantrumming to make it even worse.

That said, I prefer to have a party room because otherwise I feel they have no leisure time and I am not a complete bastard...

Me too....I hate to make my dwarves go all work and no play, partly cause I feel like a dick if I don't, and partly for realism.

Besides, my parties never seem to tie up more than a handful of dwarves - the child (it's always children that throw them for some reason) and 2 or 3 others at any given time.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008, 12:41:14 pm »

well i dont care how unrealistic or how annoyed the dwarves might be. they each fave a freekin grand bedroom engraved from wall to wall! what more could they want??? and Jude, you're lucky. in my forts, it seems that all parties that are made are started by my legendaries, and attended ONLY by my legendaries and all the useful dwarves in the fortress. only the haulers and peasants are left out. i guess there jobs doesnt make them very popular.
<@Akroma> eh

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2008, 01:10:13 pm »

If I see a party being thrown, I undesignate the room right away. And it seems to happen without fail, every time I try and make ANYTHING a free room "PAAAAAARTTTYYYYY!" regardless of what I want done. So, I find the dwarf who usually throws the parties, put him on a hatch via military duty, and then he gets to have his parties alone in dwarven hell where all the dwarves who derail my plans of world domination erm... peace, with rivers of booze, go. That sometimes stalls them, and the adamantine statue in the dining room makes them nice and happy, even though they all lost a friend.

"He may have been your friend Urist mcminey, but he was an enemy to the dwarven state. Now get some sleep, you have a lot of work tomorrow. And remember, big brother is watching."

Also, whenever I see your avatar but I'm not looking right at it, for some reason I see Stewey as Darth Vader from that family guy episode... weird.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.
Pages: [1] 2