Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: WOOOOOOOOHOOOOO!  (Read 4937 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WOOOOOOOOHOOOOO!
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2008, 11:25:30 pm »

having a "hollow square" designation seems like adding too much in the other direction, ie. too many unnecessary commands. Just draw each wall separately, it's only going to take like five or six mass constructs tops.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 01:01:35 am »

having a "hollow square" designation seems like adding too much in the other direction, ie. too many unnecessary commands. Just draw each wall separately, it's only going to take like five or six mass constructs tops.

Tru. Very interested to give rectangular constructions a go!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2008, 02:14:49 am »

Ye are thinking wrong. In most construction cases you hardly need many individual designations. If you're building the walls of a building, you can designate a filled rectangle, then use "q" and cancel each individual wall piece very quickly, where you want empty space to be.

Speaking of which, a mass "cancel construction" designation would help in these matters, though I can hardly imagine a use for it in other cases..
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2008, 02:34:25 am »

I think the question was along the lines of if you designated a large rectangle for construction, would it be built like a bridge, a single constructed entity, or would each be built separately, as it is currently.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2008, 11:57:25 am »

Hmm...could go either way, depending on how Toady coded it. If it's built piece by piece you run the risk of having stuff built in such a way that you have unsupported tiles that fall and crush people. Not so good.

I'd imagine that it's all built as one piece. Too risky without checks, and I doubt Toady wanted to put in the time to have it check for changes to each tile after its designated to prevent that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2008, 01:33:03 pm »

Well if indeed the massive constructions are built like bridges than that solves my concern.

I just really, really wanna test it so bad, it's not even funny.  :-X
火族

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2008, 09:00:16 pm »

Hmm...could go either way, depending on how Toady coded it. If it's built piece by piece you run the risk of having stuff built in such a way that you have unsupported tiles that fall and crush people. Not so good.

That makes me interested to see how a square of walls would be made? (i.e., would all the outside walls be made first, being the first walls accessed by pathing, and hence cutting off access to the inside walls, or would they fill up in a top-to-bottom, left-to-right fashion like mining prefers?)

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2008, 09:24:26 pm »

I only worry that the designation tool will be too indiscriminant between materials.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2008, 10:04:26 pm »

it already says you can build it using a single material type, so I'm not sure how it will be indiscriminate :)

I suspect it will build like a bridge or other sized construct. Else reaching walls in the middle of a block will be a big issue as well. I can't see Toady releasing something that usually just results in a massive list of "construction suspended" messages, if you build floors over a gap or a chunk of walls.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]