Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: WOOOOOOOOHOOOOO!  (Read 4942 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: WOOOOOOOOHOOOOO!
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 06:39:45 am »

I would probably make something resembling a giant orbiting laser. One tile support to the upper z-levels, where a base built around making small cave-ins in a controlled manner to anything unlucky enough to be beneath the laser.

Oh yes, it will be grand.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LordZabujca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 08:19:24 am »

LordZabujca, would it be possible to have it read the init.txt file to figure out what character set it's using for the pattern? Then all you'd have to do is automagically get it to make the requisite tileset into the format you need... simple! (hah yeah I know, it can be done.. it's also -not- simple, but...)

I guess it would be possible, though I still don't know how to process a bitmap into my map file without the help of external utilities. When I learn how to do that not only will I improve the map creation method, I'll also give the pattern constructor a complete overhaul - I'm thinking of something like using a bmp file to store the pattern, with different colours signifying different construction types/materials to use. That is kind of a plan for the future though - first we have to wait for the new DF version to be released.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 08:41:17 am »

Well, floors will stay as they are unless this is changed - for now you can't designate a floor tile unless it's connected to something real. So old days tile-plus-tile floor construction then...
However if Toady makes it to be considered as one "construction" when it's placed so it requires 1 support anywhere and don't generate "unable to reach" errors... It'd be awesome.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 09:11:27 am »

FREEDOM at last!!!!!!!!

now i will be able to stop being lazy and actually maybe make some cool constructions......

Styrre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 09:41:07 am »

Mass wall/floor? Yay! .... But i'm even more excited by the upcoming (d)esignate (d)ump command. My fortress must be clean, and now it is a matter of seconds!  (For me, not the poor dwarves who'll have to haul rock for a year or so.)
The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run. Over unsounded gorges, through the rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents' beds, unerringly I rush! Naught's an obstacle, naught's an angle to the iron way!

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 01:45:46 pm »

It would have to be standard cocaine.  You smoke crack, you don't snort it. 

And I don't think the supermodel would appreciate having a little fire burning on her chest, but for Toady?   Who knows.

You forget, !!people!! currently don't react to being on fire.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 04:53:28 pm »

Yes they do.  They misinterpret the smoke cloud as being a thunderhead and so they go and have a bit of a lie-down because they're feeling under the weather.

Most disruptive if they happen to be serving as an impromptu crack pipe.

Sacrifice the Goblins, err, butterflies on the top!

So I'm not actually the only person in the world who knows about that.  How comforting.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2008, 05:41:19 pm »

I would probably make something resembling a giant orbiting laser. One tile support to the upper z-levels, where a base built around making small cave-ins in a controlled manner to anything unlucky enough to be beneath the laser.

Oh yes, it will be grand.
I can see exactly how I would do this.

Supports work to prevent cave-ins for masses both above and below, right?

To keep the Tons Of Fun you're dropping from sitcking to the other Tons Of Fun you'd have to break them into a chuck wagon pattern with a layer of blank between them.  I'm seeing 3x3 drop-blocks being the smallest you could go with, but nothing is wrong with either larger or multiple rounds.

Heck, the whole Sky City could be build on the tops of the blocks.  Want to kill a Haory Marmont?  That'll cost you a small neighborhood.

It would take For-Evah to build.  It will give the Power Of Life And Death over almost every square of the map.  It would be bizaare to visit in Adventurer Mode, especially if you pulled the Wrong Lever.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2008, 05:47:31 pm »

As the missionary of the faith of giant orbital cannons, superlasers, and the like, I highly approve of your decision.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2008, 08:42:07 pm »

Works in my head. Here is how I plan on doing it:

There is a large area on the underside of the structure. You have drawbridges made t access the firing platform. You make a support attached to the ceiling. I think that can be done, if not a brave dwarf will need to be the one who gets rid of a supporting wall tile.

Using other drawbridges, the dwarves make the rest of the round. A 3x3 round would probably be best. After built, I get all dwarves to a safe location and retract the bridges. A lever was attached to the support during the construction process, allowing for the thing to be detached from the sky structure at a moments notice.

From what I can see about cave-ins, one floor tile is just as deadly as twenty z-levels of constructed walls. Of course, only the tiles directly below the thing are deadly. The dust cloud only stuns.

The largest problems are making the platform in the sky in the first place, and luring the enemies underneath the floors of doom. Constructing the thing won't be a problem with the next version if our assumptions are correct. A tied-up animal can be be used to lure targets underneath death-zones.

Only a few weeks to test.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2008, 04:25:10 pm »

Not to rain on everyone's parade, but did Toady specify that rectangularly designated constructions will take into account parts that are currently "unbuildable" due to having no walkable perimeter? I don't see that detail on dev_next... and I haven't been reading up on FoF, so I don't know if I might just be missing a comment he made.
火族

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2008, 08:12:28 pm »

It will still make it easier, because now you can build five of those floor tiles that ajoin five more floor tiles to build those roofs with many, many fewer keystrokes. All in all this will go a long way to prevent carpal tunnel in DFers :D
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2008, 09:13:21 pm »

And we all know how deadly anything carpal is to dwarves.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2008, 05:32:32 am »

I see what you did there.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2008, 11:12:47 pm »

This is a really great development!

I'm wondering if
a) the above poster is correct in saying that the mass-constructions need walkable perimeters?
b) can singular sections of the constructions be removed, or can you only remove the entire mass-construction?
c) in the future there will be provisions to make hollow rectangles (walled rooms) that you can designate holes in the walls like we used to with aquaducts (four buttons to designate the side, two buttons to move the centre of the gap along the selected side, two buttons to widen and close the gap).

For other OCPD-minded people, mass flooring will be a great solution to those muddy tracks left all over the grounds and fortress!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4