Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Several questions regarding a creature I'm making.  (Read 693 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Several questions regarding a creature I'm making.
« on: March 06, 2008, 06:32:00 pm »

I want to make an insanely fast creature that runs around leaving a trail of destruction in its wake. If I set the [FIXED_TEMP] really high, would a creature set fire to the grass underneath it? Also, if it left behind an itemcorpse, would it also have a very high fixedtemp? I want it to leave behind something that can be worked into powerful Burn-damage weapons, but I don't want it to set my smiths on fire.

That raises another question: is it possible to change the damage type of weapons made by a specific metal? Or, if not, is it possible to make a weapon that can only be made by a specific metal?

Another thing: I want it to have an extract venom thing that sets it's enemies on fire. If I set the [EXTRACT_FIXED_TEMP] high enough, will it set things on fire if it stings them, or does the game just check to see if the target gets a "poison" effect and then ignores the extract if it doesn't do something like that?

One last question: I want to give these things the appearance of "gliding" without giving them the ability to fly. Would this body work?

code:
[BODY:GLIDER]
[BP:UB:body][UPPERBODY][LOWERBODY]
[BP:HD:head][CON:UB][HEAD]
[BP:RWING:right wing][CON:UB][STANCE]

[BP:LWING:left wing][CON:UB][STANCE]

I'm trying to go for something like a manta ray. Except it "glides" above the ground. And could probably outrace a fighter jet. And burns/freezes everything it comes in contact with.

Edit: decided to scrap the other one, I don't need it.

[ March 06, 2008: Message edited by: Untelligent ]

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Untelligent ]

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Several questions regarding a creature I'm making.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 12:45:00 am »

Set it's fixed temp high enough yes, it will leave trails of fire behind it on grass that will quickly turn into an unstoppable raging inferno.

The itemcorpse question I'm not sure. never did itemcorpse on something with a fixed temp.

About the weapons of specific metal, no and no.

The high temperature fixedtemp I tried to do once and it did have an effect, but  all it seemed to do was create a blank covering on the contact bodypoint. (examining would show it as boiling leather) But I was testing it on creatures with odd temperature values.  The extract had a higher fixedtemp that the creatures heatdam but it never seemed to damage.  It might work better on stuff with standard_flesh.  If it doesn't work changing the creatures damagetype to HEAT has the desired effect. If my other computer was working I could post my tags.

Those body tokens should work. make sure you don't forget to give it a heart and lungs and all that if organic.

EDIT:format

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 10:57:00 pm »

Alright, I've used those answers and some testing I did in Adventure to work out most of the problems, except for one.

Edit: figured out the [ITEMCORPSE:] issue.

[ March 08, 2008: Message edited by: Untelligent ]

regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 11:57:00 am »

By the way, if you want the weapon to set fire to enemies and so on, you need HEAT not BURN.
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 03:44:00 pm »

Seems like I can't get the weapon issue to work the way I had in mind, so it's a moot point.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »

<wrong>

[ March 08, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1]