Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simplified clothing  (Read 1377 times)

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Simplified clothing
« on: March 31, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

I was thinking of making a mod to simplify clothing a bit, both so that a dead enemy doesn't drop a million items that need picking up and categorizing so you can sell it to the trader, and to simplify what you have to produce to provide a certain amount of armor for your dwarves.

My goals are:
1) Entities get one "clothes" slot (so goblins still occasionally drop a giant cave silk item), and one "armor" slot above that. No separate hats, gloves, shoes, ect. EDIT: Seems clothes and armor both use the ARMOR slot, but can stack. Anybody know the details?
2) Wearing the single-item versions of armor should provide about the same amount of protection as the multiple items used too. For example, wearing a "iron mail armor" should be the same as wearing an iron helm, iron low boots, iron leggings, iron mail, and.. what's the mail hands slot? gauntlets?
2a) I'd also like the simplified version to provide the same protection from heat/cold ect.
3) The full suit should take ~ the same amount of material to produce as the constituent parts used too.
4) I don't want to mess with the current shield/weapon usage - that can stay as is.

I see that entity_default.txt is where I want to go to change what the civs wear, and I'm pretty sure I can accomplish some of what I want to do by simply removing all HELM, GLOVES, SHOES, and PANTS entries from the civ races, but where do I go to change the amount of material required and protection afforded by different items?

[ March 31, 2008: Message edited by: Erom ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Simplified clothing
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »

No way to completely simplify currently.

You can merge pants and shirts (like full suits of armor), but boots, gloves, and helms are separate, and cannot be replaced. So, a full set of armor is always the helm, the body armor, the two gloves, and two boots - 6 pieces.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »

It might actually be possible, if you make a piece of torso armor with [LBSTEP] set to MAX. That should mean that the upper body armor also protects all body parts that are considered children of the upper body.

(I'm not too sure if the upper body is considered the parent of all body parts; you might want to check that it actually is.)

For getting one clothes set and one armor set, I think you need to do something with the [LAYER], [LAYER_SIZE] and [LAYER_PERMIT] tags, although their usage is not clear to me.

Armor Tokens

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 03:10:00 pm »

Like I said, you can unify torso armor and pants, so that it covers all of the body, the entire arms up to the wrists, and the legs down to the ankles. You can't make one piece of armor cover the hands and the feet.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 04:13:00 pm »

Is there something wrong with doing just that, and leaving the civ without any gloves/boots/hats? Are their hands/feet/heads particularly vulnerable in combat as a result, for example?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 05:05:00 pm »

Well, yeah. Not that they are specifically targeted in combat, or actually vital, but the hands and feet happen to define the combat ability of the subject, so leaving them vulnerable isn't desirable. Other than that, no problem whatsoever. I suppose goblins specifically wouldn't mind lacking boots or gloves.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »

In cold climates, your dwarves will need full coverage to avoid losing toes and things.  Goblins will, too, but they generally won't be around long enough to freeze.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »

Darn. I'd have been OK with having to have helmets separate (only one more item), but I feel like I'd really need to be able to get rid of boots/gloves to make the mod worth anything. Oh well, thanks for your help guys.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

HALP.

Regenerating full worlds over and over to get the occasional one with a cold enough extreme to cause damage is getting very tiring. Please, is there a way to generate cold temperatures on a pocket map?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 02:20:00 pm »

Add COLDDAM_POINT to the creature you're testing.
Specifically, COLDDAM_POINT:10050. It will make the creatures take damage at any temperature lower than 50F, which is any temperate climate at night.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 04:56:00 pm »

Warning:  IIRC all subterranean areas are fixed at 10015 (47 F).  10050 would be 82 F.