Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pantheons are inferior to monotheistic religions  (Read 444 times)

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pantheons are inferior to monotheistic religions
« on: February 24, 2023, 02:51:22 pm »

Issue: In any given fort of mine, the dwarves that are distracted by a need to worship seem to be, 95% of the time, dwarves with very many deities. If I spot check the dwarves that are least distracted, it generally includes all the dwarves that have as few deities as possible. A quick peek in my current fort shows that the least distracted dwarf worships one deity, and the most distracted one worships ten. I feel like there was not an intention to make more-deity belief systems less productive overall.

It's my assumption that they simply do not have time to put in 10x as much worship as other dwarves. That said, I typically build one generalist temple since I observe them praying to specific deities there and assume this should cover their needs. (Random check on my 10-deity dwarf confirms they are mostly native deities, including the top 3 for need.) Based on that,

Suggestion: In a generic temple, worshippers can "Pray to personal deities," and this reduces the need to worship across all deities the worshipper has.

(Alternate suggestion: normalize the number of deities worshipped per dwarf somehow)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 03:51:18 pm by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Resmisal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pantheons are inferior to monotheistic religions
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 05:27:14 pm »

Curiously, this is almost exactly the subject of my thread! Please forgive my poor forum skills. Since I don't want to falsify posts by improving them after a discussion has been had - barring typos -, I plan to "restart" the thread with an improved post. Please check Orange of Cthulhu's thread also! While my idea was primarily about a setting to switch between a monotheistic world with one temple (per settlement, e.g. fortresses) and a polytheistic world (incl. monolatry, henotheism, pan(en)theism, animism, etc.) with limited zone spam, his concern is the needs of dwarves being fulfilled by an adequate theological supply.

Edit: Typo.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 05:49:16 pm by Resmisal »

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 06:27:09 pm »

Thanks for the heads up! Both of those threads were interesting and have some good ideas, though my concern is relatively more basic: I feel that dwarves with lots of deities in their belief system shouldn't be penalized mechanically beyond those with fewer.

Perhaps I should have chosen a clearer title.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 06:32:05 pm »

Having lots of religious beliefs to accomodate gives you more stuff to do to keep your dwarfs happy, which I like. It is however really hard to keep track of which deities/religions you've built temples for, because you have to delve into nested sub menus when you're looking at them individually and there are lots to check. I've noticed that some dwarfs are particularly finicky about their worship, and generic temples won't do. What concerns me is that they only ever seem to commune with one deity when they actually want to commune with a lot. I think this may be a bug or possibly ill considered code.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.