Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Hunter's Call (IC)  (Read 5081 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter's Call (IC)
« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2022, 09:14:03 pm »

"By the way... can you remind me your names?."
"Yes."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2022, 11:55:28 pm »

Rumor Hunt Rumors:

Shepherding the Flock: As the lot of you are aware, a group of religious refugees has arrived with the Zepher. These refugees are bound West, toward the foot of the Giant's Rest (meaning the bottom, not the Giant's Feet). While they are not expecting any trouble, they are likely to appreciate additional Hunters guiding them between the safety of Foothold and the Reformist settlement. The mostly likely threats are monsters along the somewhat-higher fertility lands the road cuts through.

Reward: Successful completion will allow you to participate in the welcoming feast, worth 2/3 of a stat point per participant. In addition you will have access to the Reformist Settlement and its library.

Possible Piracy: According to the gossip in the sailor's favorite watering holes, there is a group of "scavengers" who have managed to tame a mighty sea beast. While they claim they have trained it to find sunken ships and loot the treasure within, rumors are saying they have no trouble with making wrecks to loot. While there is no hard evidence, the scavengers bringing in cargo meant for Foothold days after it was scheduled to arrive has raised more than a few eyebrows. To receive a reward evidence of piracy must be established.

Reward: Trade equivalent to two Low Quality purchases as a bounty.

Homesteading: Any land without a fence around it is free real estate. These are the words of many of the young men and women who come to the New World in hopes of getting their own property, and in the swagger of those who have succeeded in their dreams. With no government there is no paperwork, the process is simple as finding land nobody else has claimed yet and slaying or driving out the monsters that make it home. Once you make some modifications that prove you own it to anyone who walks by, you own it. Once you own it you can then reap the benefits of property ownership, so long as you can keep the monsters away. You can also sell it to someone less able to clear land on their own. In most cases the most valuable land is that with very low fertility (as it is the safest making it perfect for settlements that do not produce resources) or very high fertility (as it produces the best resources).

Reward: Any land you manage to claim

Spawning Season: It is currently late Summer. According to the local fishermen, this is about the time that a horde of monsters comes from the ocean to their river spawning grounds. The prudent tell you to avoid the rivers at this time, the brave say it is a great opportunity. The swarm of monsters attract many land monsters to the rivers edge to take advantage of the herd. This means a hunter can bring in these monsters in addition to the spawning monsters, and the spawning monster's eggs. Of these the eggs are of particular value, as they can be used to spawn loyal monsters. Mostly these are added to ponds as a form of livestock, though there has been some use weaponizing them to protect docks from roaming monsters.

Reward: Monster Eggs
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 27, 2022, 02:19:25 am »

"I say it'd be a good idea to hitch a ride with the caravan headed westbound. Best to make friends out here early."
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 05:43:44 pm by VermilionSkies »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 27, 2022, 05:43:14 pm »

I recommend we shepherd the flock, while pursuing homesteading as an ongoing secondary goal.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2022, 01:01:21 pm »

If no one else votes by the weekend Shepherding the Flock wins

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2022, 11:28:28 pm »

While your group of Hunters hung around town gathering rumors, the refugees had been preparing for their journey. Due to the limited space aboard the ship, most of the gear for their new life will be purchased in Foothold. It can be up in the air if smaller towns out west have a blacksmith in safe walking range, let alone something more specialized like a clothier or gunsmith, so Foothold and its access to something resembling trade is the best place to equip yourself.

And so many of the refugees waiting at the western end of town outside the gate can be found loaded with gear. Much of it was general equipment, such as axes and knives, that any household would need for survival. Some was more specialized for a specific profession, such as a family of farmers equipped with scythes, harvesting forks, gandasa, and other such tools they would need to work with the crops from either the New World or the Old World.

The more social of you recognize most of the faces from your long journey, but the apparent leader of the group is the one who speaks with you. It is the preacher from the same trip - the one who worked to protect the civilians during the Star Sinker attack. He motions for the refuges to make room for you to pass before it becomes clear that you wish to join them.

"You wish to join us? I of course mean on the journey, and not the metaphorical one with a winding path given that some of you have voiced their disagreement with our scripture" He states, giving a nod to the Sailor and his pet. "The Creator will certainly bless you for this kindness! While it is true that our beliefs allow us to be self-reliant, the unfortunate reality is that many of our adherents are unable to live up to this standard. Growing up without the light of education or a proper diet has left them rather vulnerable and in need of protection."

From what you can tell, that group encompasses most of the refugees. While the others are all armed, often with cheap slings in addition to their tools, it is clear the Preacher is the only member of the group who could hold his own against monsters. Much of the refugees is made up of noncombatants, while there are few single young men and woman most seem to be part of a family unit that includes some combination of very young and very old.

"Of course as important as self-sufficiency is, the Scripture says to assist your neighbor when they are in need. That is why we are going to Promise! It is a herding town, focusing on moving creatures from the safe village up the mountain for higher mana, then back down when the sun begins to fall. It mostly focuses on producing wool...but the generous shepherds donate wether to slaughter for new arrivals. So we bring them to Promise to study and feast, giving them the strength to stand on their own two feet before they move to their more permanent home."

The group of refugees greets you openly. While some of you have a rather intimidating appearance (especially given one of you openly walks around as what could easily be mistaken as a monster), the fact they have spent no small amount of time with them in an enclosed space has mostly given them a passing familiarity even with the more socially adverse Hunters of your group. And a greater familiarity with the more social.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2022, 10:15:49 pm »

After exchanging pleasantries, the group heads down the path leading outside of town. Compared to the mighty brick paths of the Old World, the narrow dirt road ahead of you seems like something created by rabbits rather than man. It is in truth a path of trodden earth, something made more as a side effect of travelers going west rather than concentrated effort on the part of a road smith. Notably it breaks away from the river - while it is practical to build a road following a water way given that this is usually easier and human settlements tend to dot the river for its life giving water, the river is also one of the places you are most likely to run into a monster. Coupled with the fact you must travel across low-fertility areas for safety and you end up following a road that drunkenly turns through the woods at random intervals.

In front of the group, the slowest refugees set the pace along with the Preacher and whatever Hunters decide to form the vanguard. On occasion he stops to check nearby trees giving the slower members a chance to check their breath. At set intervals the trees on the path are marked with five Holy Symbols with tools of varying fertility. This way marks the danger of the area, if a tree is marked with three holy symbols then the first two tools where not hard enough to scratch it and consequently you know the approximate fertility of an area. This lets travelers know where to rest and where to rush through, or paths to avoid entirely. For most of the trip you are in four notch area, with the occasional dip into three. More rarely words are carved into trees, either as warnings or directories towards towns. You note the town of Randall and Folkan in the direction of the river, though both are passed without a stop.

You make it the first day without incident. Before sunset you arrive at a small walled farmstead that allows the group to sleep in a hay-lined barn for the night. While it is only a small family settlement along the path, it is guarded by a small army of dog-like creatures who are liable to kick up a racket if anything threatening the group where to approach. In the morning you are awoken by a different type of racket from the array of egg laying creatures whose home you are borrowing. After refilling the group's water from the family's well and eating a warm meal over their fire you are back on the road.

Half a day's travel from the farmstead and you arrive at the first hint of danger. The Preacher motions for the group to stop. He moves to the side of the road and pokes something with a stick. He returns with a grim face and a low voice.

"Scat alongside the road. Fresh and large."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2022, 12:56:43 am »

So more bluntly...

Do you want to go after the creature or attempt to avoid it?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2022, 06:34:33 pm »

If there are still three or more people playing, go after it.
Otherwise we might not quite be able to fight it. :P

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 18, 2022, 07:07:24 pm »

I've been moving for a while and haven't been able to write up much, but I've finished up most of what needs to be done, so I'm up to continue.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]