Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Armories of Valturia: Fabrique Riviere Thread  (Read 7153 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Armories of Valturia: Fabrique Riviere Thread
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2020, 01:35:59 pm »

Fair enough.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2020, 03:58:49 pm »

This is a design for an automatic rifle which I thought I posted in here but apparently didn't. Personally, I think it's a bit too big for the contracts we have right now, but it could still serve as a good design to springboard off of. Judging from Discord talk, people may favour a version of this in 9mm.

Quote from: FR 3.a Automatic Rifle 'Vin'
The 'Vin' is an automatic rifle chambered in 11mm Riviere, designed to also fit in the light machine gun role. It uses a design based on a modified Wiel.b action, with a flywheel (in a slim cylindrical stamped metal housing on the top of the barrel, directly in front of the end of the receiver) that is driven by a short-stroke gas piston - like a locomotive's wheels. There is also a small gas port to let out excess gases after the action has been cycled. Due to this, it retains the Wiel's ramping fire and lack of recoil. The top of the wheel-housing is held by a snaplock, so it can be easily removed in the field. It feeds from the left, out of 20-round box magazines or 60-round casket magazines, and ejects out the right. Because the Vin chambres a rimmed cartridge, the magazines have a slight but noticeable curve. Each Vin also ships with a loading guide to make it easier to reload the magazines with stripper clips. Perhaps the most significant improvement over the Wiel, however, is the ready-spring: whenever the trigger is pulled, the spring will release and give the wheel a starting boost. The act of firing the first round also readies the spring, so there is no downtime required to make the gun usable. After this, the spring stays under tension until the next trigger pull. The spring is designed to be easily replaced in case of failure. If the automatic retentioning of the spring fails, there is also a tab sticking out of the wheel-housing that can be manually pulled to ready the spring. If the wheel is already going fast, the ready-spring will not boost the speed and instead slip harmlessly.

The Vin is select-fire with a progressive double-stage trigger: semi-automatic fire resulting from a light pull, and fully-automatic fire from a harder pull. The trigger has a spring that provides resistance when pulling the trigger past the semi-automatic position, making it harder to go into fully-automatic accidentally. There is also a simple manual safety, which physically prevents the trigger from moving and locks the firing pin in place. The furniture of the Vin is wood from the shoulder stock all the way to around 1/3 of the barrel's length, to allow comfortable gripping. To help with cooling, the barrel is stepped. It features both a pistol grip and a full stock as well as a carrying sling, and a folding bipod at the end of the barrel. The iron sights of the weapon, a post and diopter, are raised so as to not be blocked by the wheel-housing. Wherever possible without reducing quality, cast and milled metal parts have been replaced with stamped metal to aid cost.

Edit: Have a low-quality picture I drew of it
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 04:16:28 pm by Iridium64 »
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2020, 04:48:15 pm »

I've taken the liberty of breaking this up into distinct points regarding the rifle.

Quote from: FR 3.a Automatic Rifle 'Vin'
1) The 'Vin' is an automatic rifle chambered in 11mm Riviere, designed to also fit in the light machine gun role.

2) It uses a design based on a modified Wiel.b action, with a flywheel (in a slim cylindrical stamped metal housing on the top of the barrel, directly in front of the end of the receiver) that is driven by a short-stroke gas piston - like a locomotive's wheels. There is also a small gas port to let out excess gases after the action has been cycled. Due to this, it retains the Wiel's ramping fire and lack of recoil. The top of the wheel-housing is held by a snaplock, so it can be easily removed in the field.

3) It feeds from the left, out of 20-round box magazines or 60-round casket magazines, and ejects out the right. Because the Vin chambres a rimmed cartridge, the magazines have a slight but noticeable curve. Each Vin also ships with a loading guide to make it easier to reload the magazines with stripper clips.

4) Perhaps the most significant improvement over the Wiel, however, is the ready-spring: whenever the trigger is pulled, the spring will release and give the wheel a starting boost. The act of firing the first round also readies the spring, so there is no downtime required to make the gun usable. After this, the spring stays under tension until the next trigger pull. The spring is designed to be easily replaced in case of failure. If the automatic retentioning of the spring fails, there is also a tab sticking out of the wheel-housing that can be manually pulled to ready the spring. If the wheel is already going fast, the ready-spring will not boost the speed and instead slip harmlessly.

5) The Vin is select-fire with a progressive double-stage trigger: semi-automatic fire resulting from a light pull, and fully-automatic fire from a harder pull. The trigger has a spring that provides resistance when pulling the trigger past the semi-automatic position, making it harder to go into fully-automatic accidentally.

6) There is also a simple manual safety, which physically prevents the trigger from moving and locks the firing pin in place.

7) The furniture of the Vin is wood from the shoulder stock all the way to around 1/3 of the barrel's length, to allow comfortable gripping.

8) To help with cooling, the barrel is stepped.

9) It features both a pistol grip and a full stock as well as a carrying sling, and a folding bipod at the end of the barrel.

10) The iron sights of the weapon, a post and diopter, are raised so as to not be blocked by the wheel-housing.

11) Wherever possible without reducing quality, cast and milled metal parts have been replaced with stamped metal to aid cost.

1) For an automatic rifle (or even an lmg) 11mm is huge.  I understand the appeal of using our existing round, but we really just gotta design a new one.  9mm is still pretty damn big - most lmg's used close to 7.62mm's in ww1.  Even modern lmg's tend to go between 5.56 - 7.62 mm.  Since this is also designed to operate both an lmg and a rifle, we need to go smaller...and even so, this will be a damn heavy gun.

2) Okay, leaning into the flywheel.  At least it's using a gas piston now, so we're closer to sanity.  I'd shy away from saying "lack of recoil" - the 2.b had "reduced recoil" because the recoil in the 2.a was the massive flywheel jerking in every direction.  Since this flywheel is now horizontal, if it's an appreciable size the user is going to notice his aim slipping to the side while firing.  But we can't really avoid these problems if we use a flywheel, so it's not a thing we can address in this design anyways.

3) 20 round box magazine OR a casket magazine?  Is it belt-fed or magazine fed? It can't be both.  Belt-fed means extra machinery to extract and chamber the rounds, meaning a necessarily larger gun - magazine-fed means a smaller gun, but smaller ammo supply.  If I had to choose I'd go with boxmag to reduce cost of the magazine, but then you're left with a trailing ribbon of cotton as you fire.  Still, I'd prefer that to a bar of metal jutting out of the side of the gun.  The casket magazine may be asking for too much with all the other bells and whistles, and will definitely increase cost - it's practically a revision all on its own.  Also, 20 rounds ain't much for a box mag.

4) Ready-spring is a good idea for the flywheel.  Especially the self-setting and replaceability of it.

5) I'm not sure about this one.  I honestly don't know a lot about double-state triggers, but it seems like the sort of thing that bumps complexity for a small amount of value.  I'd leave it as a solely full-auto weapon, but if we want select fire why not use a switch?

6) This is fine.

7) I'd personally prefer more wood, but this is fine.

8) What do you mean by "stepped"?  Since our metallurgy is inferior to prykanbuls, I'd prefer to do a cooling shroud over the barrel to help combat heat - like the lewis gun.  We're going to experience barrel warping - especially since this is a "light machine gun" firing comparatively large-caliber rounds through a low-quality metal barrel.

9) This is fine.

10)  This is fine.  It's an lmg using a flywheel, so it's not going to be accurate anyways.

11)  With all the bells and whistles we have on this gun, this part is kind of insulting.  At no point is this gun cutting corners for cost, so saying "we use cheap parts where we can" doesn't mean anything.  Either leave it out, or actually design a cheap gun.  Either way this is going to be expensive, probably more than the 2.b was.

Final thoughts: 
The Vin is an Assault Rifle disguised as an LMG.  We're not going to fool anyone.  It's WW1, so unless Sensei is generous I'm unsure just how much call we'll have for this type of weapon.  Nations tended to prefer heavy MG emplacements and precise, accurate rifles.  The calls we've been getting for rapid-fire weapons have all called for SMG type weapons - light, and equipped for trench work or easy transport.  The Vin will be expensive, and could easily end up as too heavy for squad use, yet too light for emplacements.  It feels like an uneasy middleground between these two extremes.  I'd say either redesign it to be cheap and light, or reliable and heavy.

I'd rather do a heavy gun, personally.  Design a 13x100 mm round and lean into our MG role.  We currently have the strongest hold on that type of weapon, and I'd like to discourage the other teams from trying.  I'm also a fan of our reputation as being able to mass-produce cheap crap, and I'd like to design purposefully cheap (but reasonably reliable) firearms, but I know I'm in the minority with that sentiment.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 04:50:27 pm by evictedSaint »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2020, 07:00:17 pm »

Edit: disregard
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 11:15:27 pm by evictedSaint »

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2020, 11:52:31 pm »

Ok, two designs here.

FR Riviere 14x76.2mm Shot Shell: The Riviere 14x76.2mm Shot Shell is a 3” long rimmed brass shell designed to propel either a 14mm slug or other common shell loads downrange with more long term reliability than the common wax paper or cardboard shells. The extra length of the shell compared to others to allow a larger powder load for increased lethality compared to other shells of its size and to keep it competitive with regular shotgun shells.

FR 3.a ‘Morgenster’ Shotgun: The FR 3.a ‘Morgenster' Shotgun is first and foremost is designed to be as reliable and simple as possible. The ‘Morgenster’ fires the Riviere 14x76.2mm Shot Shell, 10 of them being fed into the gun from a double stack box magazine inserted in front of the trigger guard; the magazine being made of stamped metal have an internal groove on either side of the magazine’s interior allowing for the rims of the shell to feed easily and keep the rounds in line without the need for excess spring pressure damaging the brass cases.

The ‘Morgenster’ operates on a long recoil operation where as the shot leaves the barrel it reciprocates backwards pushing the breechblock backwards with it, soon inside the foregrip a gear attached to a coil spring returns the barrel forwards disconnecting it from the breech and allowing the ejector to kick the round out to the left of the gun and the breech moving forwards to pick up a round from the magazine and locking closed snugly against the barrel once more. The breech block itself is returned by a tubular spring and plug behind it that is compressed by the recoiling barrel forcing the breech rearwards, once the pressure of the barrel is off of the breech the spring returns it forwards. The ‘Morgenster’ has a 430mm long barrel of which 2/4 of it is a wooden forestock with a checkered pattern and in-cut groove for the shooter to gain a better purchase on, there is also a small shroud to protect the users fingers from the hot barrel after repeated firing, the lower half of the shroud extending forward to provide a set of bayonet lugs for a 13" straight bayonet with the back side of the blade serrated. The stock is capable of being screwed off to allow the shooter to have a better range of movement in confined locations.

The ‘Morgenster’ possesses a simple safety that locks both the trigger and firing pin in place. The sights on the shotgun is a simple open Buckhorn sight to allow the shooter a clear sight picture around him at all times, the shape of the rear sight being approximately the spread of the standard buckshot shell at 50 yards. In order to chamber a shell after inserting a fresh magazine the shooter needs to simply pull back on a tab mounted on the breech block moving it backwards and releasing it to snap forward and chamber a new shell. The breech block itself has a small groove milled into it where during cleaning the user can leave a small pool of oil before reassembly to continuously lubricate the parts as the gun cycles for better reliability. The gun also comes with a sling mounted on the foregrip and the breech housing, it being mounted on the housing to make it usable without the stock attached.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 06:04:40 pm by Maxim_inc »

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2020, 10:44:47 pm »

Quote from: Vote Box
FR Shot Shell first, then Morgenster: (1) Maxim

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2020, 09:46:18 am »

Quote from: Vote Box
FR Shot Shell first, then Morgenster: (2) Maxim, Doomblade
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]