Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Armories of Valturia: Fabrique Riviere Thread  (Read 7143 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Armories of Valturia: Fabrique Riviere Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2020, 06:06:38 pm »

FR No.3 Light Machine Gun "Fromage"

The next generation in weapon Technology, the Fromage is a rather simple machinegun designed for the average soldier.  Featuring a gas-operated piston, the Fromage is designed to cycle through 12.7×120mm shouldered ammo in disintegrating link belts.  The piston features a spring under constant pressure, which results in a constant recoil while under fire.  A simple series of vaccum tubes and a mechanical counter keeps track of ammo left in the box magazine for easy reference.  A 1,000 Watt lightbulb in a closed box with a double pin-hole outlet acts as a rudimentary laser pointer for quick-snap aiming.  Both the lightbulb and ammo tracker is powered by an attached car battery.

A mechanical arm connects from the grip to a set of goggles that sits on the users face.  This arm and goggle set are fitted with a rotating mirror assembly which provide an immediate heads-up down-sights visual; no matter where the user aims, the mirror assembly allows them to be aimed down sights.

We estimate this design to be about 30 Credits per batch.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2020, 06:34:22 pm »

Am I to assume the illuminated HUD would look something like this when in use?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2020, 03:25:51 pm »

It is now 1913. You have 35 credits, and saving up 50 for a second assembly line is a high priority. Your one assembly line is currently tooled for the Wiel machinegun, though you also have a carbine in your catalog. The current contracts include a survival rifle which Prykanbul has already expressed interest in (although you could compete), two machine gun contracts which both prefer lighter machine guns than the Wiel although you could still attempt submitting it as-is, and another contract interested in carbines. You'll have to decide where to go from here, although avoiding a tooling fee would be the fastest way to afford a new assembly line.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2020, 03:48:19 pm »

Quote from: revision
FR No.2.b Light Machine Gun "Weil"

Although decent for an emplacement, the Weil is currently too large and too unweildy for lighter operations - despite the rather underpowered ammunition.  This revision is focused primarily on removing material from the weapon - making it lighter and cheaper.

First and foremost, the wheel must be reduced in size.  This is done primarily through modifying how the wheel drives the action; the wheel now no longer reverses direction, but spins in a continuous motion such that the torque helps push down the barrel of the gun.  This is accomplished through gearing the wheel to the action. This allows the wheel to maintain momentum with a reduced size like an actual flywheel, which should theoretically reduce the needed weight to drive the extractor arm.  The wheel will continue to spin freely after firing and is simply "engaged" when the trigger is pulled - a small wooden brake can be engaged to manually slow the wheel.  The downside to the reduced wheel size and free-spinning state is that rate of fire is no longer adjustable, but instead rigidly set at 400 rpm.  Additionally, if possible, we would attempt to increase the mechanical advantage of the wheel over the action, which should improve the transfer of energy and further reduce size.

The barrel is now fixed in place rather than replaceable.  This allows the wooden handle to be used to help hold the gun steady during firing.  The handle may also be used to hold the gun while standing and firing from the hip.  The fins are reduced to four blades in an "X" shape running down the length of the barrel.  The barrel itself is also slightly reduced in length - although this negatively affects accuracy, it will improve weight, reduce cost, and help with heat management.  A folding tripod much smaller than what's used for the 2.a is attached to the underside so the gun may be quickly emplaced.

The fabric belts are stored in wooden boxes at 100 rounds each which can be clipped to the side of the gun to improve mobility.  A sling going from the barrel to the stock can be slung over a user's shoulder, increasing the easy of hip-carry.

I'm really going for the "Bren Gun" vibe here.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 05:40:59 pm by evictedSaint »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2020, 07:44:26 pm »

Quote from: Une Boîte de Démocratie
(∞) FR No.2.b LMG "Weil": p much everyone

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2020, 04:48:37 pm »

FR No.2.b LMG "Weil" (3): Maxim, Doom, eS.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2020, 05:54:10 pm »

I don't intend to count votes-by-proxy from discord. If anyone ever puts another person's name on the wrong vote it's going to be way too much effort to sort out what they really wanted to vote. Given that it's a ghost town in here I'll take two votes though.

Roll: 4
Difficulty:

This design originally called for an elaborate set of gears which translate rotation in a single direction to rotation back and forth. In fact, such a gear attaching the wheel to the action isn't necessary at all. A much simpler connecting rod can translate the rotation of the wheel into a reciprocating motion, like the way in which pistons push the wheels on a steam locomotive. This is basically how the original gun works already. The actual question is how to make the wheel move in the first place. The original wheel had a piece which was pushed away from the barrel by gas, and then returned in time to be pushed away again. The need for mechanical advantage for this escaping gas, and the need to have the reciprocating motion travel a certain length, are factors which tend to make the wheel larger.

Your engineers are stumped on this problem for a while, before building a prototype with a bicycle freewheel- a ratchet, basically. This lets the flywheel be a different size than whatever the gas port is pushing on. Since minimizing weight and keeping the gun steady are the main priorities, you settle on a very small and short lever which springs closed. This necessarily means less mechanical advantage, but the energy stored in the flywheel should help make up for that. Essentially you have redesigned the old "potato digger" machine gun design with a much small lever that doesn't buck the gun around or strike the ground, and made up for the lack of leverage with the flywheel.

After using most of the schedule on this novel mechanism, there's precious little time for weight savings. Besides making the barrel and tripod lighter, holes are cut in the wooden furniture. It's still a very heavy gun. Regardless of size, the flywheel is also more effective at storing energy the heavier it is, so it weighs more than a kilo. 100-round belts are trivial to make available, but you don't figure out a good way to attach wooden ammo boxes to the gun without adding a lot of weight and complexity, so that idea is scrapped. The four barrel fins are of dubious value, so they're dropped for cost and weight.

FR No.2.b Light Machine Gun "Weil": This shares most of the rear action with the original Weil, but the entire gas mechanism is vastly different. A gas port in the barrel pushes a small lever, which exerts force on a spinning flywheel in the position of the old wheel through a ratcheting mechanism, like a bicycle's freewheel. This flywheel has a coupling rod to the reciprocating action of the gun. The trigger disconnects this. It can be spun up with a crank, and then maintains speed for up to 30 seconds before coming to a stop. Each time the gun fires it accelerates the flywheel a little bit. The whole time the flywheel is spinning, it makes a distinctive ratchet noise. The exact rate of fire depends on the speed of the flywheel, it can operate as low as 90 rounds per minute, and will accelerate as the gun continues firing, up to 500 rounds per minute, at which speed the gas lever is not returning for every shot so the gun loses a little speed. The top rate of fire may be much lower depending on how well-lubricated the gun is. The gun will fail to chamber a second round if it is fired when the wheel is at a complete standstill, and it often fires once after the trigger is released. There are also some weight saving measures: the barrel is shorter, lighter, has no fins, and lacks a quick disconnect mechanism. The removable wooden stock has a large hole in the middle, and the tripod is smaller and lighter. It's portable by one man, although someone else will still have to carry the ammo. 42 credits per batch.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2020, 09:03:31 pm »

Bidding Plan.a
- Bid the Weil.b to the Revolutionaries
- Bid the Weil.b to the Ministry of Ordanance
- Bid the Nouveau.b to the Bike Troops

Bidding Plan.a (1): Maxim

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2020, 09:33:09 pm »

Quote from: Bid Proposal B

FR No.2.b to Vostoyan Revolutionaries @42 (sold at cost: plus, ammo is compatible with Royal Guard Weil ammo!)
FR No.2.b to Crovem's Ministry of Ordnance @70

If we only get the Vostoy Rebels, maybe we can try actually affecting the civil war.  Would be neat - besides, a 6 profit wouldn't be terribly useful, anyways.

Quote from: Vote Box
Proposal A:
Proposal B: (1) eS
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 10:27:22 pm by evictedSaint »

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2020, 09:46:05 pm »

Proposal A:
Proposal B: (2) eS, maxim

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2020, 10:24:56 pm »

I'm gonna bust out the "you can only bid for two contracts at a time" here. Sorry, gotta side with my own laziness. Maybe I'll offer some kind of expanded office upgrade later.

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2020, 11:10:57 pm »

Proposal A:
Proposal B: (2) eS, Maxim, TFF
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 11:24:29 pm by TheFantasticMsFox »

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2020, 05:00:14 pm »

I'm sorry, I just can't condone selling at cost. It's just such a fundamentally worthless decision that accomplishes nothing but occupying our lines for two turns. Also, I'm not very confident in our chances of winning the Crovem contract - it's for a light, individual weapon, and the Weil.b is both very heavy and requires a second person for ammunition. I don't think we can get away with offering it at asking. I'm not sure if it's worth it to offer the Weil.b instead of the Weil.a to the rebels, as that's 4 credits of profit potentially left on the table, but for now, I think I'll go with it.

Quote from: Bidding Proposal C
FR 2.b 'Weil' to Crovem's Ministry of Ordinance at 68 credits
FR 2.b 'Weil' to Vostoyan Revolutionaries at 50 credits (willing to negotiate to 48)

This proposal is open to modification; I just wanted to get my thoughts out.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2020, 05:24:41 pm »

Proposal A:
Proposal B: (2) eS, Maxim, TFF