Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yalgraf: The City of Two Currents  (Read 980 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Yalgraf: The City of Two Currents
« on: October 08, 2020, 11:20:11 pm »

Yalgraf, the City of Two Currents, is treasured as one of the Empire's southern jewels. A city founded on an island of the great Lalow River, its wealth is founded on its status as a trade port. Wealth, as it often does, attracts power. With power comes both grief and joy. Yalgraf, due to its wealth, has had both in great supply.

The nominal rulers of the City are those who sit upon the Council. Traditionaly made up of Two seats, it has over the years become Three Seats, then Five Seats, and now Six Seats. Bound by tradition and law, they are appointed to legislate and decide on issues.

Unfortunately for all, the whole of the Council has died from an outbreak of the Dancing Plague. The City of Two Currents is in anarchy, its Seats unfilled and its people in jeopardy. Even now, the Dancing Plague ravages the cityfolk, adding yet more weight to Yalgraf's yoke. Almost unprecedented, it has been decided to immediately fill all Seats and begin the task of bringing about order to the City.

Hi all, this is a bit of an experimental game. Briefly, this game is about ruling a vaguely medieval fantasy city via committee. There is no one ruler. Instead, influential officials must vote on legislation that may or may not benefit the City, and may or may not benefit themselves. I'm looking for at least THREE players with a max of SIX. The rules are described in the following spoilers.

MECHANICS

Spoiler: Phases (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Action Types (click to show/hide)

SEATS

Those who have the right to a Seat at the Council are the nominal rulers of the Yalgraf. There are three Permanent Seats and three Temporary Seats. The game cannot start unless the three Permanent seats are filled. Special Rules for Temporary Seats have not been written as unlike Permanent Seats, these are more reliant on the personage's backstory.

Regardless of Seat, all players share a common stat:

Clout [C]: a representation of one's influence and wealth, Clout is used to buy assets and agents. May also be used to increase the chance of success in some events. Each Seat starts with a different amount of Clout.

Sign-up Sheet is below.

Code: [Select]
Name:
Appearance:
Backstory:
Seat:
Seat Description: fill this only if making up a custom Seat. Include a description of your desired position and its responsibilities.

Spoiler: Permanent Seats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Temporary Seats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 06:28:37 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name: Lady Claudia of Keswick
Appearance: An old short women with long grey hair, wearing noble cloth and jewelry
Backstory: Widow of the previous Honoured Mayor and friend with the Count, she convinced him to give her the position to continues in her husband's work.
Seat:The Honoured Mayor
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 06:31:52 am by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile

Name: Chairwoman Wolfirna Ayes
Appearance: A seemingly unremarkable woman in her late 40s
Backstory: Wolfirna nevertheless rose steadily through the ranks of the coopers guild based on her intelligence and winning personality. When disaster struck she was able to convince the other elders to elect her as representative.
Seat: The Respected Representative of the Trades
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name: Aerin Illya
Appearance: Long of hair beauteous and soft, wearing vestments of silk and a gemstone necklace representing her position as High Priestess. A beauty untouched.(And unmatched in her opinion. She takes care of her looks to take advantage of others who underestimate her.)
Backstory: A girl taken in by the clergy, she has dedicated her life to the collection of knowledge, peace, and learning. Her devout faith in Ilyan has led her to be chosen as the new high priestess after the death of the previously seated late High Priestess due to her intuition when it comes to trade. This can primarily be noted to the fact that she spends a lot of effort learning about the populace and current conditions in the city and elsewhere, meaning she can learn what is wanted ahead of time and use that to make a profit.
Seat: High Priestess of the Trade Goddess Ilyan
Seat Description: High Priestess of the Trade Goddess Ilyan
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 11:30:59 am by TricMagic »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Name: Wolfgang Dröss
Appearance: A grim-looking young man with a high nose, who appears to be some kind of blacksmith.
Backstory: The son of the titular Khagan of a formerly nomadic clan since integrated into the town. Considered heathens, black magic users, and filthy horsepeople at best, the clan are tolerated because they serve as intermediaries to the other nomadic clans outside, who could overrun the city in weeks if offended. However, their own industry and the trade with the other nomads does enrich the city, even if few would admit it.
Seat: The Other Seat
Seat Description: The Other Seat is not spoken of except indirectly. Founded after the Siege of Yalgraf by nomadic barbarian hordes in AUC 640, its presence in the government is an unwelcome reminder to most which side actually won, whatever the peace treaty may have said. Years when the Khagan does not deign to send a representative to the Council are treasured, as the occupants of the Other Seat are rarely concerned with the well-being of any peoples in the city but their own, and always demand their cut of any business the Council might become involved in. This is not one of those times.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

Name: Matthias Endell
Appearance: A dignified man of noteworthy height whose glasses seem to slide down his nose a little too often.
Backstory: Formerly a teacher of history at the University, Matthias has held a record of excellent performance in his position, with his students consistently receiving top marks for all their work. He had been known to personally assist the former Primate with work and, when the time came for a new one to take her place, he was the most popular choice by far.
Seat: Primate of Royal Grave University
Black lives matter.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1 bump
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

1 sheet

Name: Hareanas Embercoil
Appearance: A stereotypical devil: Tall, red-skinned, and handsome, with hooves, horns, and a tail. His eyes look like obsidian cracked with gold, his horns are ribbed and largely vertical somewhat like an impala's, and his beard is long, narrow, and pitch-black.
Backstory: Appointing a demon to the highest holy position in the land is an unorthodox move, to say the least. Then again, so are three Worshipful Metropolitans in a row dying of plague, with much of the city in danger of following. A mysterious outsider promising salvation from their woes and wealth beyond imagining are somewhat more standard, but due to the prior conditions it worked especially well this time, and so Hareanas Embercoil was elected with only a moderate bribe from the boundless coffers of Hell.
Seat: The Worshipful Metropolitan
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That is a great deal more fantastical than I was anticipating. I'mma going to have to say no to that one. Don't quite like the idea of heavenly/hellish forces on city council
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not to mention the primary seats are yet to be filled. No one likes the The Worshipful Metropolitan apparently.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

had enough of religious figures holding secular power in real life
Black lives matter.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

I'm willing to switch to the Worshipful Metropolitan if nobody wants to play it.

Name: Heliogabalus Ignacius Meretricius Dormiscius Periculus Patrocinias Aquillius
Appearance: An incredibly aged, wizened man with white hair and a shaggy white beard who uses the sceptre of office as a walking stick.
Backstory: Born Natanael Möller, the fifteenth son of a minor burgher, Heliogabalus followed the tradition of adopting a saint's name when he took up the cloth, but, unable to pick just one or two saints in his zeal, piled on as many as his brethren would let him. In fact, he added three more when he was elected to the position of Metropolitan. He dreams of one day becoming the holy father of the entire church throughout the land, and, though everyone outside the church believes him to be a bitter and dried-up old man who doesn't approve of anything, he has plenty of time to achieve that goal, because he's actually 35. He believes in projecting an aura of hoary paternalism and therefore has a team of servants to apply copious old-age makeup before every public appearance. Despite his prudish, prunish public image, his personal life is actually quite revelrous.
Seat: Worshipful Metropolitan

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well we have enough to start, but I'll wait a day more just in case.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name: Aerin Illya
Appearance: Long of hair beauteous and soft, wearing vestments of silk and a gemstone necklace representing her position as High Priestess. A beauty untouched.(And unmatched in her opinion. She takes care of her looks to take advantage of others who underestimate her.)
Backstory: A girl taken in by the clergy, she has dedicated her life to the collection of knowledge, peace, and learning. Her devout faith in Ilyan has led her to be chosen as the new high priestess after the death of the previously seated late High Priestess due to her intuition when it comes to trade. This can primarily be noted to the fact that she spends a lot of effort learning about the populace and current conditions in the city and elsewhere, meaning she can learn what is wanted ahead of time and use that to make a profit.
Seat: High Priestess of the Trade Goddess Ilyan
Seat Description: High Priestess of the Trade Goddess Ilyan

Special Rules:

Zeal: the High Priestess has the Zeal (Z) stat, which can be used to increase the effectiveness of actions. The High Priestess always has 1 Piety each Debate and Actions phase , but may gain more by passing legislation that fosters trade and glorifies Ilyan. Improper conduct may result in Zeal decreasing.

Intuition: the High Priestess is known for her initiative to know the thoughts of the City. The High Priestess is able to gauge the feelings of the City towards pieces of legislation to a relatively accurate length.

Business Interests: Ilyan's priesthood is favoured by the City's merchant houses, providing the High Priestess with 1 unit of Ilyan Acolytes (2 Learning, 1 Organisation).

Name: Matthias Endell
Appearance: A dignified man of noteworthy height whose glasses seem to slide down his nose a little too often.
Backstory: Formerly a teacher of history at the University, Matthias has held a record of excellent performance in his position, with his students consistently receiving top marks for all their work. He had been known to personally assist the former Primate with work and, when the time came for a new one to take her place, he was the most popular choice by far.
Seat: Primate of Royal Grave University

Special Rules:

Academic Counsel: the Primate is able to call upon the advice of his own circle of professors and clerics at any time in order to give their own opinions on legislation or other matters.

Intrigues at the University: Sequestered on a lonely islet away from the rest of the City, Royal Grave University is a world unto itself with its own factions and issues quite separate from the City. Each meeting, the the Primate will face a new Issue that if not resolved, may pose problems to the University and City. Successfully solving the Issue may impart benefits, however.

Scholars-With-Arms: the students and staff of the University, whilst scholars, are not unused to violence or indeed, general disorder. The Primate has access to 1 unit of University Students (2 Learning, 1 Prowess).

You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando