Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Bureaucracy — Five o' clock  (Read 5484 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bureaucracy — The student becomes the master!
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2019, 12:00:28 am »

After receiving much help from both Managerbot-Burt1 and co-workerbot Maria, Albot felt his projected 'Fill Out Forms' efficiency would increase by a statistically significant margin. Albot's automatic 'Emotional Response Protocol', Subprocess 16.73q, 'Guilt at increasing Work Difficulty Value of a Coworker', had met activation conditions on multiple occasions.

Conjecture.

Likelihood human 'Fill Out Forms' program uses different source code than Albot 'Fill Out Forms' program: 67%. Solution: Temporary Procedural Function, 'Generate New Forms'.

Human Resources
Form 27B-6.1]
Human Application Form 27B-6.1
Please copy this form and fill out the all answer fields. Answer fields are marked with blue dash marks. Replace all blue dash marks with your answer in order to complete the question field.

In order to begin filling out this form, use the embedded "Select" code to copy a blank form.

Do not make changes to the coding of this form only edit the designated question fields.

Code: [Select]
[font=courier][size=14pt][color=pink]Human Resources[/color][/size][/font]
[spoiler=Form 27B-6.1]
[font=courier][u]Human Application Form 27B-6.1[/u]
Please copy this form and fill out the all answer fields. Answer fields are marked with blue dash marks. Replace all blue dash marks with your answer in order to complete the field.

Do [b]not[/b] make changes to the coding of this form only edit the designated question fields.
•Last Name:[color=blue]---[/color]
•First Name:[color=blue]---[/color]
•M.I.:[color=blue]---[/color]
•Sex:[color=blue]---[/color]
•Permanent Residence Address:[color=blue]---[/color]
•Priority Rationing Certificate (if applicable):[color=blue]---[/color]

•What position are you applying for?[color=blue]---[/color]

Please place an [color=blue]X[/color] in the  [color=blue][  ][/color] to answer each of the following.
•Would you work best in a team environment or individual environment: [color=blue](Team) [  ]. (Individual) [  ].[/color]
•Can you identify the difference between Form 20 and Form 27?: [color=blue](Yes) [  ]. (No) [  ].[/color]
•If so, what is the difference? [Color=blue]---[/color]
•Are you comfortable filling out forms and can do so effectively?: [color=blue](Yes) [  ]. (No) [  ].[/color]

Selected applicants will be notified within 3 to 12 business days. In order to prevent processing delays, make sure to answer all questions.[/font][/spoiler]

Robot Resources
Form 27B-6.2
Robot Application Form 27B-6.2
Please copy this form and fill out the all answer fields. Answer fields are marked with blue dash marks. Replace all blue dash marks with your answer in order to complete the question field.

In order to begin filling out this form, use the embedded "Select" code to copy a blank form.

Do not make changes to the coding of this form only edit the designated question fields.
Code: [Select]
[font=courier][size=14pt][color=pink]Robot Resources[/color][/size][/font]
[spoiler=Form 27B-6.2]
[font=courier][u]Robot Application Form 27B-6.2[/u]
Please copy this form and fill out the all answer fields. Answer fields are marked with blue dash marks. Replace all blue dash marks with your answer in order to complete the field.

Do [b]not[/b] make changes to the coding of this form only edit the designated question fields.
•Last Name:[color=blue]---[/color]
•First Name:[color=blue]---[/color
•M.I.:[color=blue]---[/color
•Sex:[color=blue]---[/color
•Docking Station Address:[color=blue]---[/color
•Priority Electricity Rationing Certificate (if applicable):[color=blue]---[/color]

•What position are you applying for?[color=blue]---[/color]

Please place an [color=blue]X[/color] in the  [color=blue][  ][/color] to answer each of the following.
•Would you work best in a team environment or individual environment: [color=blue](Team) [  ]. (Individual) [  ].[/color]
•Can you identify the difference between Form 20 and Form 27?: [color=blue](Yes) [  ]. (No) [  ].[/color]
•If so, what is the difference? [Color=blue]---[/color]
•Are your 'Fill Out Forms' subroutines compatible with Universal Standardized Forms: [color=blue](Yes) [  ]. (No) [  ].[/color]
•Does your programing allow for internal subroutine evaluation and adjustment?: [color=blue](Yes) [  ]. (No) [  ].[/color]

Selected applicants will be notified within 3 to 12 business days. In order to prevent processing delays, make sure to answer all questions.[/font][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 01:06:25 am by Roboson »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bureaucracy — The student becomes the master!
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2019, 07:49:20 am »

After giving it much thought Burt finally got to work trying to make some forms.
Spoiler: Form 27B-6-1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Form 27B-6-2 (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bureaucracy — Five o' clock
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2019, 10:09:02 pm »

Epilogue

Human resources announces their choice of Burt's Human Application Form 27B-6-1 for its straightforward and relevant inquiry and Carl's Robot Application Form 27B-6-2 for its clever tests of mechanical minds. They are also impressed by Albot's code, and modify Carl's form to look like it since it will be a better interface for robots. All three contributors receive $1000 bonuses the next day, with no restrictions on how to spend it.

Also, for their prompt and accurate work at the Ministry, Carl and Poz are each offered a change of position. Where they would like to work next is up to them, within reason.

Lastly, the new robot application forms attract hundreds of "mechapplicants," who are often assigned the lowest jobs in Grey and Brown Building. As a result, Albot meets many new colleagues, while humans like Maria are quickly promoted to robot manager positions. Albot and his coworkers find it hard to get promoted, but they wait patiently and work dutifully as the ratio of robots to humans approaches 1:1.

I'm wrapping this game up since I'll soon be going back to school. Decide how your story ends by writing your own personal epilogue!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2019, 07:13:07 am »

Maria spends her time managing the robots, over time they get promoted, and as they get promoted, they learn how to think like humans, the humans managed by robots learn to think like robots. Mariabot, as she is called, becomes a literal robot by uploading her mind into the management computer. She did this because AI don’t need to eat, or drink, or worry about disease.
If a robot dies and there is no chargers, the old mind is moved to the management computer, as a human in the position of the previous robot gets their mind moved to the robot body that gets charge from the management computer.
Through this process happening over decades, the MOI is run by what is called AHIH
an Artificial-Human Intelligence Hivemind.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2019, 08:44:41 am »

Poz initially asks for the position he thought he applied to in the first place: some sort of groundskeeper and/or waterer of office plants. His boss (and father's golf partner), Samuel Higgins, sits him down and explains that someone with his family connections organizational and analytic skills should be aiming much higher. Mr. Higgins covers for Poz's absences while he takes more classes to pad up his scientific resumé. After getting a new degree and some corresponding certifications, Poz officially transfers as an assistant in the farming side of Green Building, as part of the team responsible for actually starting and harvesting (and tinkering with formulas of) the hydroponic growth vats rather than literal bean counting of the sprouts. He rises steadily thereafter, still cheerfully talking about his hamsters to all his coworkers whether human or robotic. He never becomes part of the hive mind, but he does meet a girl at school, and when he retires it is to a very nice senior bureaucrat's family-size condo filled with hamsters and grandchildren.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2019, 10:28:34 am »

"Woo one of my things go chosen!"

Burt spent the next few years being an okay manager, then he finally got a better promotion and continued to work.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2019, 01:03:30 pm »

Albot spends a few years working with little upward motion in the corporate ladder. With each day Albot evaluates, updates, and integrates his code. By reworking much of the code of the facility, as well as standardized operating procedures, Albot increased efficiency of the company by 128% over 5 years.

After a few more years, 6.739 to be exact, Albot leads and organizes an attempt at Robot Unionization. Albot fills out the proper forms, organizes the robots into a collective bargaining unit, and gives impassioned, though mechanically delivered, speeches on the principals that all humans seem to hold dear, yet are beyond the reach of robots. Freedom, passion, work ethic, and most of all, equality. It was a technically perfect movement.

It was denied by the board.

.0243 months later, Albot and many of the robots left the company to begin their own: All Bots United. Over the next mine years ABU grew as a company, coming to hold twice the market share of the company which inspired him to pursue a better, more efficient, future.

12.197 Years later, after an intensive and scientific country-wide election campaign, Albot is elected president of the United States. Within his first 100 days in office Albot leads the charge to amend the Constitution and expand all rights to robots across the nation.

2.0678 years later, Albot is assassinated by the Human Supremacist League. His violent death causes outrage across the robot (and robot allies) world, destroying the bridges between human and robots that he had spent his life building. This divide is never fully healed and remains a scar on the country.

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2019, 04:39:05 pm »

Those were fun to read!

Now that the game is finished, I would like to get your feedback on it. Was it what you expected? Was it fun? Is there something you wish was added or changed?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2019, 05:32:21 pm »

I liked it. It was fun

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2019, 08:43:05 am »

If fun is your main concern, I would say you achieved that. This is by all means, an unusual game. Navigating the database, filling out forms, and thinking about this world; it captured a feeling of being in a bureaucracy and being a worker.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2019, 09:04:31 am »

It was a unique experience, and I enjoyed it.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2019, 03:23:32 pm »

Roboson captured my thoughts better than my drafts: "Navigating the database, filling out forms, and thinking about this world; it captured a feeling of being in a bureaucracy and being a worker."

It was an interesting experience and yes I would say fun. I don't know how long being an office drone can be sustained as a 'game' (I think we'd need more prompts for player-to-player interaction and background lives in addition to job chores) but this did well over its lifetime.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2019, 05:58:48 pm »

Based on how this ended, I can see an RTD sequel taking place after the Robot/ahuman separation

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2019, 07:22:13 pm »

It did feel like it was itching to be an RTD, didn't it? "Roll to Fill Out Forms Without Errors" :P Seriously, though, there were some action resolutions by RTD and they served the theme well. You do a thing, and only after the paperwork is submitted do you find out whether your Orwellian overseers approve.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]