Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: (SG) System King of Yggdrasil  (Read 3285 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) System King of Yggdrasil
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2019, 11:30:18 pm »

Confirmed. Would gladly marry our large lady friend because hot damn.

As for Aunt yes, we must confront her and put her in her place.

Anything she offers will be a trap and rather deal with her in person than hammership repairs for space Battle.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2019, 09:44:59 am »

Honestly, this update made me pause a little – I'm worried about Serpentina's religious practices now. How would our children be raised?

I was hoping to mingle on Hetch-3 a bit more, like seeing if our sister-in-law has an in to any of the good parties. Asla will still be available to talk during the ride home.

Thoughts for confronting Aunt Asla:

Plan A:
Keep calm. Ask, calmly, how many recent murderers have been punished by executing offspring. (Note: there may be a Leviathan cultural thing, don't forget she's actually an Alien and we mustn't assume anything.) Calmly point out the timeline that the magic voodoo attacks happened two years before the twins were born, they could not possibly be part of it. Note, calmly, that they were raised by our father longer than their own, and in fact he even sent them to be trained in the Order that specializes in hunting down and eliminating rogue magic users! Far from extending Loki's legacy in any sense, they are thoroughly turned against him.

Plan A-and-a-half:
Very calmly ask if it's the part of Father's plan where we are to wed Serpentina that keeps her so riled up, and very calmly offer the proposition that co-opting the Seljuk family to ensure Mother's line continues is the true antithesis of Loki's death curse.
— At this point, I, personally, would make a 'bargain': she obviously doesn't want us marrying that family, we don't want any more blood feud. Perhaps a mutually (un-)satisfactory understanding could be reached?

Plan B:
(B might still work after A / A.5 fails, but I don't think A would work as well after B)

Calmly reminisce about the vengeance we already took against Alexander's family. Compare it to Asla's thirst for revenge, and calmly wonder if it's a family trait. Assert, barely keeping calm, that we are trying to be a King of statecraft in our father's style but that we would be moved to extremes should anything befall those who are closest to us. We doubt even high station would be sufficient protection.

B-and-a-half:
Especially if it involved the prospective mother of our children. Family is so important, isn't it Aunt Asla?

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2019, 12:55:15 pm »

Honestly, this update made me pause a little – I'm worried about Serpentina's religious practices now. How would our children be raised?

I was hoping to mingle on Hetch-3 a bit more, like seeing if our sister-in-law has an in to any of the good parties. Asla will still be available to talk during the ride home.

Thoughts for confronting Aunt Asla:

Plan A:
Keep calm. Ask, calmly, how many recent murderers have been punished by executing offspring. (Note: there may be a Leviathan cultural thing, don't forget she's actually an Alien and we mustn't assume anything.) Calmly point out the timeline that the magic voodoo attacks happened two years before the twins were born, they could not possibly be part of it. Note, calmly, that they were raised by our father longer than their own, and in fact he even sent them to be trained in the Order that specializes in hunting down and eliminating rogue magic users! Far from extending Loki's legacy in any sense, they are thoroughly turned against him.

Plan A-and-a-half:
Very calmly ask if it's the part of Father's plan where we are to wed Serpentina that keeps her so riled up, and very calmly offer the proposition that co-opting the Seljuk family to ensure Mother's line continues is the true antithesis of Loki's death curse.
— At this point, I, personally, would make a 'bargain': she obviously doesn't want us marrying that family, we don't want any more blood feud. Perhaps a mutually (un-)satisfactory understanding could be reached?

Plan B:
(B might still work after A / A.5 fails, but I don't think A would work as well after B)

Calmly reminisce about the vengeance we already took against Alexander's family. Compare it to Asla's thirst for revenge, and calmly wonder if it's a family trait. Assert, barely keeping calm, that we are trying to be a King of statecraft in our father's style but that we would be moved to extremes should anything befall those who are closest to us. We doubt even high station would be sufficient protection.

B-and-a-half:
Especially if it involved the prospective mother of our children. Family is so important, isn't it Aunt Asla?
...you. yes. We need you and your big logic brain.
+1 to this whole damn thing.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2019, 10:17:14 am »

We need you and your big logic brain.
Assuming that Aunt Asla is susceptible to logical arguments, which has yet to be proven.

When I say calm, I don't necessarily mean hide all emotions, just demonstrate that we are holding them in the service of policy. And by all the gods we are the SYSTEM KING, OWN IT and MAKE her look at us when we speak.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2019, 09:26:02 pm »

You bump into your sister-in-law Princess Drew over breakfast, and ask her about her plans for the day. She tells you that she plans on attending a mixer thrown at the Grand Hetch-3 Academy of the Performing Arts. "I'm trying to butter up the Dean of Admissions to get my daughter Brigit in. Would you like to tag along? I was hoping your brother would have come out to the premier with us, so I could drag a Prince of Yggdrasil along to the party, but I suppose a System King would would just as well, if not better, as a high status plus-one for me to show off."

"Sounds like fun. Count me in!"

Despite not actually being related to her, and indeed not even knowing the girl all that well, you have always felt a kinship with young Brigit, who like you suffered an unfortunate birth thanks in part to the Witch King. Your mother was cursed to die, hers was raped by a jailer while she was King Loki's prisoner. As a bastard she has no birthright within the Yggdrasil system, so you would be doing her a great favor if you could help her get into a good school.

To your mild disapointment, Brigit does not attend the party with you and her mother. "Civilized Space is weird about letting young people mingle at parties with Alcohol," Princess Drew explains, "hell, I'm not sure they'd let you in if you were not an important foreign dignitary."

The school, and thus the party, is in another city, so you and Princess Drew take a short flight on her longboat together. During this voyage, your sister-in-law opens up to you a bit. She tells you that she has fallen out of love with your brother, who nowadays rarely leaves his chambers, and will probably leave him and return to Hetch-3 full time once you get married and produce several heirs. "The only reason I haven't, is that separated parents would stain my son's honor, and I will not harm my boy's honor so long as there is a chance that he might have to become King."

"Oh?" You offer a relived smile, "I had expected you to be more protective of your son's claim to the throne than that."

She laughs. "Oh. Don't get me wrong, I was pissed when my husband gave you the throne. Livid even. But I'm not going to cross you over it. War sucks. Our family knows that better than most. I'm not going to start one just because I'd rather my son be a King than a wealthy and well off prince."

---

The party itself is a pretty exclusive affair. As far as you can tell, aside from a couple of security guards, you and Drew are the only humans present. Many of the guests belong to the powerful and influential races of Civilized Space. Many are clearly looking down at you, and why shouldn't they? You are sure at least some of them may be worth more than the entire Yggdrasil system. Eventually, however, Drew introduces you to the Dean of Admission as "System King Berlin I of Yggdrasil, Lord of Warp Island, Lord Commander of the Breslau, King-Admiral and grand flame of Muspelheim, and overlord of Midguard and Nidavellir." The other guests overhear you, and you can tell your title earns you at least a degree of respect.

You are quickly approached by a tall humanoid creature with the long face of an anteater, which speaks to you through a robotic translator. "THAT IS A SOUL SWORD ON YOUR HILT. QUERY: ARE YOU A VOID KNIGHT?"

"Indeed I am. It is always an honor to meet with a Librarian." You answer with a smile that you couldn't publicly share among your fellow humans. The Librarians are one of the most powerful and influential races in the Galaxy, and in civilized space they fill a role similiar to that of your order, archiving magical knowledge and hunting rouge magic users. Their history with the Knights of the Void is complex. At times you have been their ally, vassal, and enemy, but the relationship has always been one of mutual respect.

"I am King Berlin of Yggdrasil, to whom do I have the pleasure of speaking." You emphasize the name of your system as you speak, hoping the Alien's translator gets your drift. Although you respect the Librarians, most of your subjects despise them, as they played a major role in the fall of Odin and sack of Midgaurd four thousand years ago. It probably wouldn't do you any favors to be seen in public being friendly with such a being.

The creature takes a moment as its translator processes your words, before responding. "I AM DUKYSSYSPTOLVPQM. TRANSLATION SYSTEM TELLS ME IT IS UNLIKELY YOUR VOCAL SYSTEM CAN PRONOUNCE MY NAME. CALL ME DUNKIN."

You and Dunkin spend the better part of an hour talking. Mostly about Soul Sword technique. He himself owns such a weapon, but didn't see fit to bring it to the party. He does mention that various key members of his race and family might be interested in aligning with a human who controls the entire Yggdrasil system and who happens to be a Void Knight. In hopes that you will pursue these opportunities, he offers you a free timeshare at an exclusive resort his family owns on The Great Quartz Planet at the center of civilized space. You promise to consider visiting, but warn that many of your people still hate his kind, and that doing so may not be in your best interests.

A three-headed Drux called Minos eventually works up the courage to interrupt your conversation with Dunkin to introduce themselves. Minos explains that they are a senior at the Academy, and need to produce a film as a final project. With your permission, they would like to join your court for a bit, gather camera cards and flight data from your warships, and conduct interviews with pilots and commanders to produce a documented about your victory in the Battle of the Solar Void. You are sure that some of your military and intelligence officers will be annoyed if you give up classified military data to a filmmaker, but the final product sounds like it might be something you could use as propaganda. Do you accept Minos' offer?

The rest of the party passes uneventfully. After several minutes, Dunkin pulls you to a side room, and puts some great soul sword duels on the screen. You find these battles to be so engrossing, you don't even wind up getting wasted.

---

Your plan to grill your aunt on the return trip falls through completely. When you ask for her, Asla's servant informs you that "she has remained on Hetch-3 for the time being. She is consulting with local florists to design an exotic arrangement that she may place in her dear sister's mausoleum in honor of her 58th Birthday. "She swore an oath to never forget your mother, nor the circumstances of her death," The servant explains. You wonder if she guessed your intentions.

Although you fail to reach your aunt, you do recieve an interesting offer from your Cousin, her youngest son, Brok. Clever enough to figure out that you are inquiring about his parents' grudge against the twins, he makes you an offer. "I'm not sure if it would help, or just get me disowned, but I'd be willing to wed Serpentina. My mom might not be willing to kill the mother of her grandkids."

You pause in consideration. "I'm not sure if she'd go for that. She wants to marry materlinially, so that her kids may be born into House Seljuk."

"I'd be fine with that," Your cousin responds, "so long as you'd be willing to issue a royal decree naming my bastard Loki-Peter a trueborn son of House Odinson."

You promise to consider his offer. At the very least, young Loki-Peter, an aspiring Void Knight and one of Lil'Gaius' new students, would benefit from having a step-mother as talented as your friend... But of course, you have still not ruled out marrying her yourself.

---

Back aboard the Lindbergh, you consider the trip. Although you do not feel that you have resolved much regarding the Odinsons' beef with the Twins, you have learned alot. You wonder what, if any, further action you should take. Regardless, now that you have gathered information, perhaps it is time to step back from working over Odinson and his family.

List of Focuses and Court Members. New Focus Added. Now would be a good time to change focuses if you wish to do so.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2019, 08:52:53 am »

"(Y)ou do not feel you have resolved much regarding the Odinsons' beef with the Twins": on the contrary, their feelings may not have changed but ours can. Odinson already said that he's not about to try anything stupid, and Asla seems to be occupied with venting and nudging her husband to say impolitic things. We can ignore that if we have to. There remains some possibility for treachery, but I no longer fear it's more likely from this quarter than any of the other "unknowns."

Speaking of which, I'm a little sad that nothing updated on Odinson's summary, did we spend all our time talking about Serpentina?

We also learned that Kay appears to be good at what she does, and I think we can expect her to act in our interests to the extent that her ambition requires our continued, um, "patronage." Not the best candidate for wife – Av'ivqix is also a proven operator and brings many more resources besides, though her loyalty is necessarily more split by being a vassal of her father – but Kay would make an excellent mistress, with a decent shot at being our second wife if politics permits.

As you might have guessed from the preceding paragraph, I'm moving back to the Av'ivqix for wife camp, although I want to take a little more time for consideration before setting down exact focuses and assignments. Serpentina's plan to take direct control of all three planets is contingent, as she says, on finding the military resources to subdue Midguard (if we can't manage that then neither can we contend for Nidavellir when Alexander dies) and that's just not happening. Brok, if he's not a tool of the aforementioned treachery, gives her about the same level of familial 'protection' as we could. I think we should pass along Brok's offer, quietly (and regretfully) mentioning that we'll respect her choice as far as trusting him but in any case we don't foresee a more prestigious proposal than the System King's cousin.

As a 'bonus' Av' is a ruler of a world in her own right and can't be expected to be constantly in the same court as us, making the maintenance of a mistress perhaps less fraught so long as we supply the requisite gene engineered children. Remember at the first choice I said that I'd like to emulate Pompey, the guy who had many wives and many children (several of whom were 'adopted')? Yeah, I'm still inclined in that direction.

(Edited)

I have many ideas for how this could all interlock perfectly and Work Out BeautifullyTM but I'm afraid that if I write them down FateTM will intervene. So instead let's keep taking things slow and steady.

First, as seen above, I'd like to be able to really trust Kay on various assignments. So Befriend Kay. As she was candid about her designs, so may we be upfront about needing a better political marriage; try not to have any bastards that would complicate those negotiations later. (Expect that she won't sit back and take no for an answer, and enjoy the ride.) Maybe put the problem of needing forces for Midguard to her, she can probably suggest more levers to push on Muspelheim even if it's not her official assignment.

Also Woo Nidavellir, we don't want to let that fester for too long. For Alexander, Caryn, and Jytte practice this speech in the mirror: "I recently had a chance to see what nursing a grudge looks like from the other side, and it hurt to see how it twists and corrodes the soul. That's not the king – that's not the man – I want to be. I could hide behind the war as an excuse, but I know my motivations were more personal than that. Your sons and brothers deserved a better opponent; you deserve a better King. I pledge to try as best I can, for whatever that may be worth to you." For the rest of Nidavellir, the only person we really know is Jax the Hoplite but opportunities may present themselves.

Otherwise keep assignments the same for now, although we'll probably need to rearrange them next time.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 12:04:41 pm by mightymushroom »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2019, 04:48:43 pm »

You spend one more day on your old routine, sparring with Serpentina and drilling with your soldiers. During your daily meal with the Queen Sister of Midguard, you pass along Brok's offer to your friend. Pauses silently and nods, before promising to consider it, noting that she doesn't intend to get married until her home world is secure. You hope that your offer hasn't disappointed her too much, but find her face hard to read. Eventually you part ways, telling her that you will be focusing more on politics than training for the next several weeks.

---

Buttering up Kay proves a bit more difficult that you would have expected. The young woman spends 6-8 hours every day sitting the throne on the Lindbergh's bridge and attending to the daily affairs of Muspelheim, and the rest of her time running various errands for her father. After two days of failing to catch her alone, you eventually just wait on the elevator to the bridge as her shift wraps up, and pull her aside as she leaves. After greeting her, you get straight to business.

"Listen, I need to get a better political alliance than you can offer from my eventual marriage, and cannot afford to have any bastards mucking those negotiations up. That said, I wish to spend more time with you. Not only are you a key member of my court, but you seem like you would make for a great friend and ally."

Kay laughs. "I have no designs of ever falling pregnant anyway. Should I wish for children, I'll use some combination of bio-engineers, test tubes, and surrogates." She looks around, determines that there is nobody else on the lift, and continues. "I am famously discrete and infertile. I promise that the only consequences of giving me what I want will be us falling further under each other's influence. It will be worth it."

She gives you a peck on the cheek, and promises to get in touch.

---

48 hours later, you find yourself in disguise, sitting in the mess hall for the peasants who work one of the Lindbergh's hydrophonic crop chambers. Kay approaches with a thirty-something year old woman on her arm, who she introduces as her lover Helga, and sits across from you. "Places like this are good for highborn like us to have our fun. The people here have lived in this small corner of the ship for generations, and aside from the logistics officers who move their crops, have no regular contact with those outside of their community. The residents of such isolated quarters consider noble attention to be a high honor, and so long as we don't commit rape or steal somebodies spouse without making proper arrangements first, they will keep our deeds in confidence."

To drive her point home Kay, dressed in full highborn officer's regalia, engages Helga in a long, sloppy, wet kiss in the middle of the crowded chow hall. Despite her confidence in this place's ability to keep a secret, Kay respects your disguise, telling Helga that you are just a "highborn friend" whom she promised a lesson in the art of love making. She spends the rest of the meal lecturing both of her dates about the finer points of statecraft, but your teenage mind is too excited for what is to come to pay any attention. Eventually the three of you retire to Helga's quarters.

Kay and Helga make you watch first. The first officer carefully explains the how and why of everything that she does to Helga in bed. When Helga does things to her, Kay seems to preoccupied by the fun she is having to give proper explanations, so instead she makes you summarize the events after the fact, offering corrections and explanations where needed. After about an hour of this, Kay leaves the bed, takes a seat in a nearby chair, and invites you to take her place with Helga. You are apprehensive, but follow instructions. Kay watches, gives advice, and, once your virginity is thoroughly dead, tags back in while you recharge your batteries.

You repeat this process several times. On the fourth go-around it is Helga who leaves the bed, so that you may finally have a turn with Kay. Eventually, you return to your quarters satisfied.

Having met her goal of seducing you, Kay's relationship with you proceeds to develop more along the lines of a normal friendship. She takes you out to the various clubs and bars scattered across the massive capital ship. She almost always brings a romantic date with her; Sometimes the date is you, sometimes the date is shared with you, but more often than not the two of you part ways without first making a trip to some bedroom or another. She keeps you updated on the affairs of Muspelheim (mostly just local lords squabbling about where the crippled Breslau is to land for repairs) and enjoys listening to you talk about your adventures as a pilot and a knight.

One such date finally ends up with the two of you alone in your chambers. It is here Kay lays her cards on the table. "It seems as though you are happy to leave official duties to me. I think it is time we come to terms with what that means honey. You are a trained warrior who won a kingdom, but totally lacks the experience to rule it. I was born and bred for statescraft. I think your reign will be most successful if you abandon any pretense of running Yggdrasil, leave me in charge, and focus on your duties as a Soldier and Void Knight. You build a name and reputation, and I'll be the power behind the throne. Marry soon. Use a bio-engineer to have many children and quickly. I will raise them so that they can actually rule on their own when the time comes. Circumstance dictates that you are to be a figurehead and a puppet. If you embrace this, you will get the most from your reign."

You recoil, somewhat shocked by Kay's words. No king wants to be a mere figurehead. But you cannot deny there is wisdom in your lover's words.

---

Kay is gone when you wake up the next morning, but her offer still haunts you. You suppose if you reject it, you will have to do something impressive soon to assert yourself as an actual leader. Perhaps befriending King Alexander is just what the Bio-Engineer ordered for your reign. You have been practicing a speech in the mirror, apologizing for the actions of your grudge and promising to put it aside and be a good leige for him. Perhaps now is a good time to put it into action. Your Squire Pilot keeps your Hammership in a state of constant readiness. Perhaps you should fly to Nidavellir for a surprise audience with Alexander now. Or perhaps you should inquire about his schedule and visit the planet to attend an event he will be at. Perhaps you should host an event aboard the Lindbergh and invite him.

Perhaps you should pratice your speech some more. You have Alexander's two daugheters imprissioned aboard the Lindbergh; You could test it out of them first, before approaching their father.

Or perhaps you should do as Kay says, and leave the matter of Nidavellir to her and others like her.

List of Focuses and Court Members. If you wish to comply with Kay's request, you may change focuses now, but only to 'Secure Alliance with the Wraith Rings' or the various Personal focuses. You may delegate focuses at this time.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2019, 06:30:28 pm »

Ouch. Well, I guess we don't have to worry about her not speaking her mind.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2019, 07:11:27 pm »

Ssecure Alliance with the Wraith Rings

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2019, 08:01:25 pm »

Or perhaps you should do as Kay says, and leave the matter of Nidavellir to her and others like her.

List of Focuses and Court Members. If you wish to comply with Kay's request, you may change focuses now, but only to 'Secure Alliance with the Wraith Rings' or the various Personal focuses.

I'd like clarification: is our ability to change focuses contingent upon "complying" with Kay's proposal? What if we don't want to be a figurehead?

I mean, yeah, marrying the Wraith Rings was going to be my next step anyway, I just want to understand what all the options are before shaking things up a bit.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 08:08:28 pm by mightymushroom »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2019, 08:39:57 pm »

You have not done enough to woo Alexander to consider that focus resolved. I suppose you can swap away from Befriend Kay if her words have left a bad enough taste in your mouth.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2019, 01:18:19 am »

No plan yet but still.. figurehead?! We are a damn war hero who got the job done. Yes there are a billion jackals who wants to over take our lion so to speak. But still, damn man.

“ History is made by strong men.”

Remember this.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2019, 08:45:57 am »

*rereads opening post, the part where Hussein, now Fenrir, was the main commander while we pursued our personal sideshow*
*shakes head*

I don't like it.
I don't see any way good to change it starting from our current situation as new, young, and, yes, almost accidental.
Maybe later if we take up reforming the feudal system (always dangerous to kings).

I'm tempted to say keep befriending Kay, this time with a goal of getting her to teach us practical politics instead of practical bed exercise. At least enough that we can converse intelligently with various nobility about their concerns. Even better, my hope was that we could actually, you know, rule as king locally while sending her as our interstellar agent of diplomacy and "diplomacy." It's going to be tough to dislodge her from de facto queen of at least a planet, though.

SO

Probably best to get started on negotiating an alliance with the Wraith Rings. Since Kay is determined to run things her own way, no need to fear taking up Lil'Giaus's time making up plans to get around the more onerous requirements. Most important in my mind is not letting Despot Grinx'riq win the Grandmaster vote, either by being slippery in our own promises, or by swaying other voters so ours doesn't swing it any more.

As far as making our apology to Alexander, I have the impression (maybe wrong) that it would work better on the man himself than his daughters. If there's an event we could reasonably use as a travel excuse in the next week or so, do that, but otherwise just go. It wouldn't hurt to also check in with the daughters at least once before we leave, part of the charm offensive is not neglecting them. — (I'm sorta assuming they have regular communications, possibly some sort of room-sized video chat? I included the "sons and brothers" option in case we found a situation where we can address all three at the same time.)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 08:55:02 am by mightymushroom »

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2019, 12:48:58 pm »

Mushroom makes sense yet again.

Also only thing would wish to do but not enough plot time is upgrading our skills and learning force powers/magic from our Void brethren.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]