Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: That First Werecreature....  (Read 3349 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: That First Werecreature....
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2018, 03:46:58 pm »

Probably just luck. All I know is that there needs to be at least one vampire/werebeast type, temples for mortals to get cursed in, and deities to do the cursing. I wish world generation gave us more options, but the myths and magic update will focus on this it seems. From the development page:

Magic settings: From none to ubiquitous

Randomness settings: From Earth-like world to standard fantasy to completely random

Hostility settings: No death or violence to regular settings to bleak and horrifying

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE M&M UPDATE, THERE IS ONLY DORF.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2018, 09:38:17 pm »

I don't know if it has been already answered but that's how I do. Dealing with werebeasts is essencially the same as dealing with pretty much any other outside threat.

1°) You need to clearly define an inside and an outside, and have a military standing between the two at all times. Use burrows. Limit access to the outside as much as possible. Drawbridges can help but you can do without. If a werebeast is spotted, activate burrow immediately
2°) You need to start training your military at the first migration wave. Ideally you can start a one man militia as soon as you have your first room carved out. Delaying production is okay. Three dwarves training at all time will often make the difference between a successful fort and a fort spiralling down into chaos. After that, gradually increase the size of the military. Also copper weapons are perfectly fine for dealing with werebeasts. If you can, use copper armors, if you can't, leather, shells and wooden shield will do.
3°) Breed doggo. Chain two near the outer walls of your fortress. Not only they will spot the furry, they will also delay it.
4°) Send your men and enjoy your well deserved victory.
5°) Check the werebeast combat logs afterward. If anyone is injured, isolate it until next full moon.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 09:40:03 pm by Cathar »

Seolferwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2018, 02:21:36 pm »

I've had several werebeast attacks in my current fort, but none of my dwarves were infected so far.

I've simply set up an underground burrow, constructed a raising bridge at my only entrance to isolate the outside from the inside and pastured lots of meat shields on the surface at the fort entrance.
For meat shields I use whatever seems useful and can be bought from elven caravans, meaning giant wolves, crows, eagles, etc.
Hunters also get a work animal to function as meat shield.
Once a werebeast appears I hit the panic button and have all the civilians run for the burrow while the meat shields do their duty.
If it looks bad I raise the bridge to lock out the menace.
Eventually, when the werebeast turns back to its less harmful form, I send out the militia to beat the crap out of it :)

Now my militia is well trained and armored.
They can probably handle a werebeast just fine now, but the first few years I didn't want to risk them getting infected since I play without immigrants.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:27:22 pm by Seolferwulf »
Pages: 1 2 [3]