Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I make a monster more durable?  (Read 749 times)

deepspaceprobe9

• Bay Watcher
  • "Personal" Text
    • View Profile
How do I make a monster more durable?
« on: May 01, 2018, 09:41:43 am »

I'm trying to mod in a monster that looks like a regular human being, but can take an iron sword strike with no worse than a cut. Is this possible to do without making new body materials? I've tried just making their toughness really high (median is at 45,000), and while they are very clearly better at taking a hit than a normal person, they aren't as good as I'd like them to be.

I'm aware of how werebeasts take less damage from most materials, but I want this monster to be able to take more fall damage too, and I don't think that's covered by the werebeast tokens.
   (*) Stopped zombies from interrupting your sleep to ask if they can help you with something

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I make a monster more durable?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 01:09:08 pm »

Besides making new materials, you could do what bronze colossi do and just steal a metal for your creature

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 01:23:27 pm »

Considering how fall damage works... I'm fairly confident that the werebeast damage factor applies there too. By my last reckoning it's basically a really big block of %groundmat% headbutting the fall-ee at the velocity of the fall.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 11:18:55 pm »

To add to scourge's suggestion, you could remove the SKIN, add a new material IRON_SKIN (or whatever), then replace SKIN layer with IRON_SKIN. See bronze colossus ro see how to make inorganic layers, and the dragon raws to see how to add and remove materials from a template.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:20:26 pm by thompson »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 04:24:10 am »

Try increasing the shear strength of the skin.  This will make it hard to cut, but it will take blunt damage normally.