Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: MY DWARFS HATE WORK  (Read 2395 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MY DWARFS HATE WORK
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 11:46:48 am »

As Fleeting Frames said, DT uses tables of memory offset, sizes, etc. and those are generally produced using the DF structure mapping work. Once you have a layout file DT uses that and not DFHack.

Moving to 64 bits caused all pointers and a lot of other data types to change size which scrambles things. Since DT is built only on a relatively small set of addresses and size from DF structures (although I suspect it actually uses the C headers produced by the DF structures work as well) it cannot make use of the inherent size adjustments that the DF structure work partially produces, as it essentially has parts of that coded into the tool itself, which means all those no longer valid relations have to be found and replaced. It doesn't help that Splinterz, who wrote DT, logged out before 64 bit DF came along, so not only did DT face a significant upheaval due to the DT compiler change + 64 bit transition, the people who have tried to bring DT back on track also had to start with very little prior knowledge of it.
Pages: 1 [2]