Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MY DWARFS HATE WORK  (Read 2389 times)

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
MY DWARFS HATE WORK
« on: September 16, 2017, 02:49:33 pm »

My dwarfs hate work they wont cut trees or build a mason and mechanic work shop.Help!!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: MY DWARFS HATE WORK
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 03:01:51 pm »

My dwarfs hate work they wont cut trees or build a mason and mechanic work shop.Help!!

....You probably need to assign labors.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Tontomanzz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 07:53:22 pm »

Hope you're using dwarf therapist to track labour.   But yeah make sure someone has the labour active, has the proper tool, and isn't doing something else. 
If it's early in the start (lots of initial digging, hauling), you can turn off all the hauling jobs for a dwarf so they'll do nothing but the main job.

And making a workshop with stone requires a mason iirc, so if you're mason is already busy...

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 07:56:43 pm by Tontomanzz »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 08:01:10 pm »

This thread will eventually fill up with all the useful information you need on labors and stuff but your first couple of games will go much smoother if you read the guide first:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 12:21:48 am »

Dwarf Therapist is a free add-on that makes managing labour much more easy. Have you tried it?

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 04:08:03 am »

DO you have assigned skills to the dwarfs before embark?
When not, they haven't active labours so they do nothing.
To give them Jobs:
Press "u"-->unite list
scroll to dwarf who should get labour-->(when they are peasants they havent skills--> no labour)
Press "z"-->now see dwarf on map
press"p"--> preferances
press"l"-->then choose his labour

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Labor
The old apple revels in its authority.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 06:39:29 am »

DT crashes for me. So I decided to say "screw it" and designate every labor manually. I also learned this in basically one evening, minus advanced stuff like minecarts and mechanics.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 07:41:54 pm »

DT crashes for me. So I decided to say "screw it" and designate every labor manually. I also learned this in basically one evening, minus advanced stuff like minecarts and mechanics.

are you using it via lazy newb pack or did you download it yourself?

if you downloaded it yourself did you install dfhack? i think dfhack is required to use therapist.

but i would recommend getting LNP because its just so convenient and there is no fuss
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 08:42:06 pm »

IIRC KittyTac is on Linux and there was a known issue about DT with the Linux LNP (which might or might not be solved by now... I didn't follow the thread).

But I'm with KittyTac on this one.  Assigning labours is not as difficult as many people suggest.  Here are the questions you usually want to ask:

• Do I have someone with X labour set?
  • What labours are set on this dwarf?
  • Where is are the dwarfs with X labour set and what are the doing?
  • Which dwarf should I set with X labour?

When you are first starting #4 barely matters.  Skills are gained pretty quickly for the most part.  Thinking about skills that actually matter: Grower, Diagnoser, Weapon Smith, Armourer.  Animal trainer matters, but most novices won't care.  Nothing else really matters because either the skill will be gained so quickly or the benefit of extra skill is so small that it doesn't matter.  And really even the skills I've mentioned don't really matter too much (there is already an overabundance of food in the game, you almost always have more migrants than you want so dead dwarfs are OK, weapon and armour material far outweigh weapon and armour quality in terms of importance).

As a novice, you really just want to make sure that all of the labours that you want to use have a dwarf set.  Then when you choose a dwarf for a labour it's useful to see what labours are already set.  Division of labour is important.  Finally, when something isn't getting done, it's important to see where your X dwarf is and why they aren't doing their job.

This can be accomplished in many ways.  Here is a list ordered from more organised to less.

A surprisingly easy way is simply to make a spreadsheet with the dwarf's name in the left hand side and a column for each labour that might be set.  So it works pretty similar to using DT except that you have to do it by hand.  It might seem like a lot of work, but writing down the names of the dwarfs in each migrant wave takes a lot less time than deciding which dwarf should have the labour.

Another way is simply to put each activated labour in the dwarf's profession nickname.  At the beginning of the game you might have a dwarf or 2 with 4 or 5 labours, but as the game progresses it stretches out to having only a few labours each.  Really the entire fortress can run on about 20 dwarfs, so unemployment is actually a bigger problem than organising labours.  By doing this, you can look at the 'U' screen to get a list of all dwarfs and see their assigned labours.

Another way is to split up the labours into groups.  So you might have mining, stone detailing, and stone crafts as a group; grower, thresher, spinner, weaver as a group; cook, brewer, miller, plant gatherer as a group; etc.  You assign a profession title to each group and set the same labours up on each dwarf in the group.  If you find that you do not have enough resources for a specific group, then just move some dwarfs from one group to another.  I've not actually tried this method, but watching Krugsmash's youtube videos makes me think it would be fun to try.  The only tricky thing about this for a novice is knowing which labours don't work together (for example, you can't have the fisher dwarfs and the fish cleaning dwarfs in the same group).  But you can eventually figure it out...

Finally, the last method I'll mention (but not the last method I can imagine) is simply to leave the dwarfs with the labours that they have at the beginning.  It's a little harder to see what's going on, but what I suggest is to try to have dwarf with each main skill.  If you don't have a dwarf with a main skill that you want (say wood cutting), then disable all the labours except that labour until they become skilled enough to have their title match their labour.  At the beginning of the game, you'll be missing lots of dwarfs with specific labours, but you'll also only have a few dwarfs so you can relatively easily look.  I don't think this is really a good novice way, but it would be a fun challenge.

There are other techniques for managing and optimising.  For example, if you have a legendary worker, then you might build a special workshop for them and make it exclusively for them.  Then you can use the manager to ensure that they always have work for that specific workshop (with the other workshops filling in for volume).  Or if you have a group of workers all with the same labours (say cook, brewer, etc) you can assign the kitchen to 2 of the dwarfs and the still to 2 other dwarfs.  That way they will only do the things you want and you don't have to mess with their labours.   I also often set up military squads and have some patrolling or training, while others work in the shops.  It's a way to battle unemployment since you can say "This month these 2 squads will do all the work in the fortress, next month these other 2 squads will do it", etc.

I don't want to detract from the DT fans -- it's a great tool.  However, I often hear that people think the game is impossible or un-fun without DT.  I really disagree and want to encourage people to try to play a vanilla style to see what it is like.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 08:53:08 pm »

IIRC KittyTac is on Linux and there was a known issue about DT with the Linux LNP (which might or might not be solved by now... I didn't follow the thread).

my laptop runs linux and lnp works as expected on it

also yeah, early in a fort i will manage labors by myself, DT is for when i have over 100 dwarves and i want a summarization of all the information available so i know who should be doing what.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 08:53:25 pm »

I do not and never have used Therapist. I also don't mean to knock anyone who uses that useful tool, but my process is as follows:

Everyone gets assigned a permanent role upon embark, and is then never thought about again outside of extenuating circumstances.

3-4 miners
1-2 carpenters + woodcutter combos
Specialize 1-2 each of weapons/armor/metal crafting/engraving.
A couple bone/leather/stone crafters, skill unimportant.

Anyone who shows up with doctor skills gets everything disabled but medical duty.
First 2 unskilled peasants get nursing duty, AKA nothing but tending patients.
First 10 military skilled/unskilled peasant dwarves form the military. Best one gets captain of the guard.

Everyone else is a farmer or a mason.

Crossbows are drawn from the farmer/mason class.
Bookkeeper + Broker + Manager is drawn from first wave of potential farmer/mason migrants.
If no mechanics arrive, conscript two from f/m class.
Priests/Scholars/Tavern Keepers also drawn from f/m.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 09:29:21 pm »

are you using it via lazy newb pack or did you download it yourself?

if you downloaded it yourself did you install dfhack? i think dfhack is required to use therapist.

but i would recommend getting LNP because its just so convenient and there is no fuss

LNP comes with graphics. I prefer ASCII. And nah, I run Windows. I'm a gamer. I want compatibility.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 03:07:01 am »

You don't need DFhack to run Therapist.
Or at least, you never used to. Been a few years since I set aside that crutch (in favor of Dfhack's Manipulator, sure, but I eventually stopped using that too...).

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 09:02:49 am »

You don't need DFhack to run Therapist.
Or at least, you never used to. Been a few years since I set aside that crutch (in favor of Dfhack's Manipulator, sure, but I eventually stopped using that too...).

something about moving to 64bit caused therapist to go nuts and it took months to fix and it involved dfhack

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 09:10:32 am »

Well, dfhack has a script used to find the memory addresses for dwarf therapist. Perhaps you're thinking of that?

Though JapaMala did propose moving it to using remoteFortressReader plugin like Armok Vision does, it is not yet done.
Pages: [1] 2