Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population requirements and FPS  (Read 2097 times)

Urist_McUnoriginal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Population requirements and FPS
« on: April 10, 2017, 07:39:40 pm »

I'm thinking of editing the raws so I can get a monarch at a lower population cap (to stall the inevitable FPS death)

But looking at the d-init files, it says that I need a population of at least 100 to get current game features.

What are these features, exactly? And does anybody have any tips to improve FPS without taking away anything? I don't care much about world size, so long as there's enough to explore in adventure mode and plenty of !!FUN!! for fort mode, along with normal fun.

PS. I run DF on Toshiba Satelite laptop, so I don't have much power to work with.
Because one of the gods got pissed, literally, and it covered the world in magma. Then another one said "Fuck you, you didn't call me back after our date," and threw water at it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Population requirements and FPS
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 10:03:22 pm »

Over 100 (isn't it 130?) is for the king.
Over 80 for goblin invasions unless you tweak their siege triggers slightly.
Titans at...60? I think (altered in advanced worldgen options).

That's most of what you need I think.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 01:02:32 am »

You'll need at least 140 dwarves for a king.
This is because you have to be a metropolis in order to become the mountainhome, which requires 140 dwarves in addition to the production requirements.

Therefore to get all features you'd need to reduce the population requirements for sieges and metropolis classification. Megabeasts might also need editing? I'm not certain.
Barony/County/Duchy only needs 20 dwarves so they're fine.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 03:29:49 am »

As Pirate Santa said, the monarch arrival requires a metropolis plus some stuff.

Apart from that, Titans are allowed to arrive at a pop of 80 (can be changed: it's one of the advanced world gen parameters). Other races are allowed to invade you once you get a pop of 80 (can be changed in entity_default.txt: [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3] for a race means 80, 2 = 50, 1 = 20, 0 = Disable the trigger (i.e. this condition will not trigger sieges, so you'd need to enable another trigger to get them). There is one such parameter for each race).

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 08:50:05 am »

Hm.. This has me curious, could you set the siege trigger to be the value of your fort? That would (to me) make more sense.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 01:07:48 pm »

In addition to the pop trigger, there are also wealth and export triggers for sieges, so yes, that's possible. You have to look up what the values mean on the wiki, though, as I just set all three of them to 1 for all races.