Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your oldest fortress?  (Read 7363 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Your oldest fortress?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 11:00:41 am »

Towerclouted went on for 36 years before it was overtaken by lag and general boredom (tens of thousands of stones I wanted to destroy but didn't have the patience), not to mention its lack of certain special features (no chasm/pit, no underground river)

Wasprag ran for over 44 years and was home to several megaprojects (23 Z-level hollow clear glass pyramid filled with magma, twin magmafalls, big constructed battlements and drop tower above the entrance, small shrine built out of soap, dwarfputer-operated obsidian factory) before I got tired of it as well.

Finally, Rhymestakes ran for 25 years until I decided it was complete - a 16 Z-level obsidian tower 47 squares in diameter, held up by a single steel support, complete with sealed water and magma inlets connected solely by bridges and floodgates.

All of those fortresses spent a significant amount of time with temperature turned off, though less so with Wasprag (what with its entrance defenses being mostly magma-based).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 08:23:17 am »

23 years now, took a slice at 20. Inkpartner

My first king.  :D
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 02:54:40 pm »

Apexwhips made it 12 years. Almost got the king before a swarm of ambushes dropped my fps to 2. Didn't have the heart (or patience) to wait for them to show up, especially since I kept having kids snatched if I put my military out there. Ambushes are the number one killer of forts in my experience, Toady needs to update their detection code so they don't consume 10 fps per ambush party.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 06:01:33 pm »

Most my forts die out at around the 3-5 year mark. Longest I've ever managed to go was 11 years.  Was the first and only of my forts that ever was attacked by a magabeast, was fun :3
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.
Pages: 1 [2]