Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Masterwork keeps crashing far, far more often than Vanilla ever did.  (Read 7423 times)

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile

I can't seem to play this mod to any enjoyable extent. If I generate a world with more than 5-8 years of history, it crashes. Play the game for too long, crash. Try to save the game aside from the initial-save-on-embark, crash.

I have no idea what's going on or why, and it's making it very difficult to enjoy the game. Is this a common issue?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Masterwork keeps crashing far, far more often than Vanilla ever did.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 10:03:26 am »

I only know of crashes that happen at the moment you press 'e' to embark. Reembarking fixes it. I know that some people have crashes on long worldgens, but thats because there are so many civs. Reducing the number of civs, the size or the world or making a shorter history fixes that as well.

I'm not aware of any ingame crashes. It has been a long time since I saw any reports about them, and in the test-forts I play I dont have any.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 10:31:05 am »

These crashes...

As far as I can understand it, it's the same as the vanilla ones, only a bit more often when dealing with lots of scripts.

And the worst part is that it seems to be semi random, and based on the machine, rather than just the files, so even giving your whole install directory and a sure fire way of making it crash might just work as intended on an other computer.

I know, it doesn't really help when it's your instance that crashes.
It might be helpful to post your CPU and RAM, and maybe to try a fresh install in an other folder, from a fresh download (just in case of a file that had a problem).

I personally used to have a major problem with the mod (long ago), where it would even cause BSOD, as well as the crash on save problem, and the complete re-installation of the mod fixed it, and I still don't have any idea why, having compared every single file and even the "write" and "execute" rights.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 11:17:12 am »

I can't seem to play this mod to any enjoyable extent. If I generate a world with more than 5-8 years of history, it crashes. Play the game for too long, crash. Try to save the game aside from the initial-save-on-embark, crash.

I have no idea what's going on or why, and it's making it very difficult to enjoy the game. Is this a common issue?

Have you changed settings in the launcher? Can you save a profile and post the JSON?

Also, what print mode are you using? I've had fun crashy times when trying to get smart and using print modes other than STANDARD or 2D, as well as when playing around with ARB sync.
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 02:18:31 pm »

One more thing: Masterwork (or better: dfhack) has a quicksave option. Just type quicksave into dfhack and press enter, or press Ctrl-Q ingame.

It works just like any other game, it wont exit like the normal df save. Just press Ctrl-Q every now and then and if it crashes on you, you lose way less progress.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 05:54:31 pm »

A few versions ago I got a lot of crashes.  Some were mysterious, some i eventually learned were due to a specific vanilla bug that kept cropping up in my forts (kea or langurs steal an operational minecart). 

Currently I get very few.

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 06:45:40 pm »

One bit of info I've run across to help you get past worldgen: remove the "[HISTORY_SEED:####]" "[NAME_SEED:####]" and "[CREATURE_SEED:####]" lines from your world_gen.txt before generating worlds. This way you'll get a different history, creatures, and name each time you try world generation - so if you find yourself crashing, just try again a few times. NAME_SEED is of course optional, but hilarious random world names I find to be part of the charm.

Note that you want to keep "[SEED:####]" intact if you want the physical characteristics of the world presets, though most of the major features are provided elsewhere and not actually generated with the seed. Things like volcano positions, rivers, etc would shift around, but the big stuff like where the highlands are should remain constant.

It's worth playing with anyways, and you can always replace the file with the one included in the masterwork download if you mangle it.

Anyway. Repeatedly trying world-gen with static seeds is, well, a waste of time, because it uses a pseudorandom number generator (read: deterministic - given the same seed, you should get the same output) and there's no reason to expect it to work just because you did the same thing 5 times in a row.

... of course none of this will likely be of much help if you crash during play, except in what I'd imagine to be obscure corner cases.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 06:53:06 pm by draeath »
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 08:53:21 pm »

For whatever reason, if I attempt to gen a world in anything other than fullscreen mode it crashes. You could give that a try.

Also, if you have a high resolution display, go into the init file and manually set the fullscreen parameters to 800x600.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 12:04:15 am »

Reducing the number of civs, the size or the world or making a shorter history fixes that as well.
This actually helped a lot. Genned over 150 years of history without issue and even fought off a necromancer siege without issue. Well, without any issue you wouldn't normally deal with fighting a necromancer, leastwise.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 06:16:58 am »

It seems to be machine dependant, I get crashes at worldgen sometimes, and sometimes not. While many report crashing at startup between the first 2 init scripts on Win8.

This is why I prefer to move features towards scripts and less on inorganics and such. When it fails, it's easier to debug.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 08:07:07 pm »

I only know of crashes that happen at the moment you press 'e' to embark. Reembarking fixes it. I know that some people have crashes on long worldgens, but thats because there are so many civs. Reducing the number of civs, the size or the world or making a shorter history fixes that as well.

I'm not aware of any ingame crashes. It has been a long time since I saw any reports about them, and in the test-forts I play I dont have any.

How Do I re-embark?
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 12:52:23 pm »

I used to get a lot of worldgen crashes, but I found they stopped completely if I just left the window in focus during worldgen. And can just pause it if I need to do something else for a bit.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

ReynTheLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Edible beserk! now available in masterwork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 04:09:12 pm »

I used to get a lot of worldgen crashes, but I found they stopped completely if I just left the window in focus during worldgen. And can just pause it if I need to do something else for a bit.

Oh. Because I have problems with worldgen going past year 100 and such. I guess his might sole it.
I am currently trying to comprehend what sick, mad, dwarven mind came up with the fortress name "Lancefondled", because it wasn't me.