Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: About long drops with a sudden stop.  (Read 3085 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: About long drops with a sudden stop.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 05:19:34 pm »

Did they ever fix the "shaft of enlightenment" bug, where a fall onto a spike trap would result in massive dodger skill increase?
Is the spike dodging bug still around? In .34 at least, dodging the spike would instantly give legendary dodging ability.
If you meant falling 2, 3, 5, or 9 z-levels onto spikes giving super skills, that was fixed.
Ծ_Ծ

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 05:33:08 pm »

Never mind me, I am just blind. Totally did not see that.

The gibbletizing research thread linked is still applicable though I believe. The raw damage calc formula from falling is, to my knowledge, unchanged.  10+z fall should be 99% fatal under most conditions.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 05:38:30 pm »

As the reports earlier in thread note, even 20z fall isn't necessarily deadly anymore. v.31 modeled damage a fair bit differently than v.43.05 - for example, I expect a fall that breaks a leg could now also twist the hip.

It's a great thread and I've read it all, just...Doesn't match reality after DF has doubled it's age.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 06:10:33 pm »

Well then, a new falling science fort is in order.

I might do that.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 06:54:16 pm »

Well then, a new falling science fort is in order.

I might do that.

You're doing Armoks work old son
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 12:34:37 pm »

Well it sounds like MORE ZEES are in order.

I'm going to pull up all my traps and make it 30z, and see how that goes.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 05:33:37 am »

Well it sounds like MORE ZEES are in order.

I'm going to pull up all my traps and make it 30z, and see how that goes.

Well I didnt to many tests but the fort I built few months ago sure instagibbed all the goblins that fell down in it 5-7 or so. Painted the walls red even. Think it was about 30z deep.

I made sure to smooth all the walls though, didnt want any of the goblins to grab hold of the wall.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2016, 04:12:10 am »

There was another thread on this very topic. In it I posted how to make a good pit fall trap based on what I knew of older versions, but was corrected by somebody running the newest one. Apparently the days when you could be sure to utterly cripple pretty much any attacker with even a relatively short fall are a thing of the past. I haven't done any new science myself, but from what I understand armor is now surprisingly effective at mitigating fall injuries and the distances involved have all greatly increased. If I remember right some guy was flinging goblins down a 20z dodge trap pit in the new version and they were getting back up afterwards.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2016, 07:48:49 am »

Throw some dragons down after them and they won't get up afterwards anymore.

Either dig deeper or put some marksdwarves in a half-ring around the bottom and give it to them. Take bets on which ones hit first, which ones get up, and which suffer headshots vs. severe perforations to ... everything.

Giant war grizzlies are also an option. Or is it black bears? Or polar bears? I think one was trainable, the others were just nasty anyways.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2016, 09:54:01 am »

There was another thread on this very topic. In it I posted how to make a good pit fall trap based on what I knew of older versions, but was corrected by somebody running the newest one. Apparently the days when you could be sure to utterly cripple pretty much any attacker with even a relatively short fall are a thing of the past. I haven't done any new science myself, but from what I understand armor is now surprisingly effective at mitigating fall injuries and the distances involved have all greatly increased. If I remember right some guy was flinging goblins down a 20z dodge trap pit in the new version and they were getting back up afterwards.

Thats so disappointing. What point is there to a long fall if there isnt a satisfactory splat after?
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Taetrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2016, 06:16:16 am »

In my current fort, a 30z deep dodge trap (natural diorite floor at the bottom) brings death by total dismemberment to goblins - armored or not- or beasts like hydras. Quite a mess to cope with corpse parts afterward...
May be a little overkill, but I had issues with still dangerous goblins after 10z drops on copper spikes, so I wanted to make sure the little buggers would not climb back.

Note: as some infortunate cheesemaker accident told me, dwarves appear slightly less prone to dismemberment by splattering, need to do science about it... Perhaps dismemberment might partially be due to the traps ?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2016, 04:13:05 am »

It is unfair because dorfs kill themselves even if the drop is only 6 z levels high.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2016, 10:15:57 pm »

A while back I did a fort where, for medical training, I dug a pit with a retracting bridge over it and dropped dwarves about three to five levels down. It was just to injure them and get them healed so the doctors would be better and faster.

I only had one dwarf actually die from it. A broken neck or head.

This sounds like a fun project to do science on.
Pages: 1 [2]