Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: About long drops with a sudden stop.  (Read 3089 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
About long drops with a sudden stop.
« on: September 28, 2016, 08:24:30 pm »

I have a 12z tall fall trap with lead at the bottom.

However, I have also filled it with 110 iron spears.

Will the spears prevent the elves from taking the fall damage from landing on lead?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: About long drops with a sudden stop.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 10:40:04 pm »

Does it matter, they should die either way.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 02:55:30 am »

My understanding is that the floor hardness adds to the damage. However, a 12 Z level fall is unlikely to kill (I tried 20 onto lead and my test undead (goblin or somesuch, not a head/hair/etc) only got bruises (so spikes, though. I was trying to make a splatterer).
Thus, lead would probably not make much of a different compared to regular stone.

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 04:26:40 am »

Making long drop traps is a real bastard, I had a 20z drop onto platinum floor and it barely reliably killed the bastards, let alone splatter them. I have heard tale in previous versions that captured goblins that dodged the spear they were thrown into managed to survive much taller drops. I don't if this remains true but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
I'm not entirely convinced a denser floor does more damage. I tried to do some !!SCIENCE!! in the arena but it only goes 10 ź levels up.
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 05:34:56 am »

My understanding is that the floor hardness adds to the damage. However, a 12 Z level fall is unlikely to kill (I tried 20 onto lead and my test undead (goblin or somesuch, not a head/hair/etc) only got bruises (so spikes, though. I was trying to make a splatterer).
Thus, lead would probably not make much of a different compared to regular stone.

We should test lead floors versus steel floors.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 05:46:25 am »

Are boulders of ore as heavy as their metal, but still hard? Perhaps you could pave the floor with that.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 05:57:51 am »

Since falling onto the floor is modeled as cube with density hitting, the volume of boulder vs block shouldn't matter.

@Skorpion: Be my guest, though I expect the difference would be slight, given differences between steel and silver for blunt weapons. For maximum damage, I'd pick platinum, due platnium warhammers performing better.

For minimum damage and most stark test results, should pick featherwood of course.

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 06:05:38 am »

Ninja'd! But yes fall damage is modelled as being hit with a block of the material, so warhammer rules apply. Denser is better.
From wiki:
The density of the material in the landing zone can have a significant effect on the outcome of a fall. Light materials like featherwood reduce the risk of serious injury, while dense materials like platinum increase it.

In general, falls of 1-2 z-levels are unlikely to cause significant damage to your dwarves, and goblins have been seen to fall more than four with only light bruising and stunning. Large falls (30+ z-levels) will tend to cause the hapless victim to explode upon impact. The minimum drop with 100% mortality appears to be around 25 z-levels.

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 06:43:01 am »

This discussion is the essence of DF.  Well done, all.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 12:45:51 pm »

Is the spike dodging bug still around? In .34 at least, dodging the spike would instantly give legendary dodging ability.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 02:32:40 pm »

I can attest that pit traps that rely on fall damage are obsolete.
21 lvl drop onto lead floor is likely to break all the bones in arms and legs, but if it won't jam them it won't kill the creature.
What is worse any creature falling onto the one already on the floor will ignore floor density completely due to cushioning effect.

Setting upright spear/spike is the only way to make use of pit trap these days.

Also:
Is the spike dodging bug still around? In .34 at least, dodging the spike would instantly give legendary dodging ability.
It didn't worked like this. From what I have personally witnessed, an enemy had to dodge all 10 weapon in the trap onto another square where he dodged another full weapon trap.
This somehow multiplied the experience right into legendary dodging.
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 02:36:04 pm »

In general, falls of 1-2 z-levels are unlikely to cause significant damage to your dwarves, and goblins have been seen to fall more than four with only light bruising and stunning. Large falls (30+ z-levels) will tend to cause the hapless victim to explode upon impact. The minimum drop with 100% mortality appears to be around 25 z-levels.[/i]

I've done 30.  The descriptive text is really satisfying and the victims were really, really dead.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 02:42:28 pm »

If you meant falling 2, 3, 5, or 9 z-levels onto spikes giving super skills, that was fixed.

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 03:58:08 pm »

I remember Human prisoners would throw the demon lord of a Goblin civ and that caused it to die due to impact with a slade wall. But digging 100+ z-level pit to slade would be pointless given the depth you've already dug.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 05:11:27 pm »

Did they ever fix the "shaft of enlightenment" bug, where a fall onto a spike trap would result in massive dodger skill increase?

Also, falling science was conducted extensively in the past.  The thread was dwarfy as hell. Worth the read.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93256.0

details quite well how deadly falls from each zlevel are.
Pages: [1] 2