Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: No alcohol poisoning, no fighting  (Read 3932 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No alcohol poisoning, no fighting
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 07:28:32 pm »

Yeah, I think like with a lot things in DF (crossbow squads come to mind), you're better off playing the game how it's meant to be played until you're sure something really is broken before searching for workarounds.

Pretty much everything written is out of date, and even if it's written recently, you can't be sure the writer wasn't using an old version (everyone using the Starter Pack/DFhack) or generated a world in an old version, or is basing their Science on a one particular world's freaky rng.

The crossbow squad thing is the rumor that never dies. I think people are still spreading that one around.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2016, 04:05:42 pm »

Try running a fort really badly and keep a tavern. I'm sure some of your dwarves will try to kill each other/themselves there eventually.

They seem determined to remain cheerful no matter what calamities I allow to unfold. Hell, I did some testing a few months ago, and locked a nice bunch of dwarves in a substandard fort and did my worst. Miasma, noise, no decor, dead relatives, no coffins, no new clothes... They were still happy as long as the tavern was up and running.

How many idlers do you have?

I've found that busy dwarves rarely visit the tavern or don't hang out in it long enough for bad things to happen. Once work orders and things to do dry up, my taverns turn into murder city.

Bare in mind this is all experience from when tavern were first introduced. Since then I don't assign tavern keepers to stop this kind of thing from happening.

I've usually got a few milling around, but that's a point. There's usually something that needs doing, so that might be it. I always assign tavern keepers and performers and mugs and everything, maybe it doesn't happen to me because I want it to happen? I can't think of anything as deliciously d0rfy as a brawl breaking out on top of a dead-drunk fisherdwarf.

Why do bad things happen to good people's forts instead of mine? : <

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2016, 07:57:50 pm »

Same. I've never had a single ill effect from taverns.

Occasional vomiting.

Add more booze and more bartenders. I've got taverns with a casualty rate approaching the first wave to hit Omaha beach.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2016, 10:23:10 pm »

Same. I've never had a single ill effect from taverns.

Occasional vomiting.

Add more booze and more bartenders. I've got taverns with a casualty rate approaching the first wave to hit Omaha beach.

Trying to figure out what weird set of things makes this happen, because it simply refuses to happen for me. How many idlers do you have? How many visitors? How many bartenders? Do you burrow your bartenders into the tavern so they don't do anything else? Turn off all other labors?

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2016, 10:55:13 pm »

Yeah, I think like with a lot things in DF (crossbow squads come to mind), you're better off playing the game how it's meant to be played until you're sure something really is broken before searching for workarounds.

Pretty much everything written is out of date, and even if it's written recently, you can't be sure the writer wasn't using an old version (everyone using the Starter Pack/DFhack) or generated a world in an old version, or is basing their Science on a one particular world's freaky rng.
The crossbow squad thing is the rumor that never dies. I think people are still spreading that one around.
Could someone enlighten me to what this Crossbow rumor is?
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2016, 11:06:33 pm »

Could someone enlighten me to what this Crossbow rumor is?

The rumor is "crossbow squads won't train at archery targets" sometimes with "unless they are off duty" thrown in. Not true, they train like demons at those targets if they have everything they need to do so and everything is set up right. Every time someone says archery training is broken, it turns out it is because they screwed something up.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2016, 11:19:36 pm »

Ah, thanks.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2016, 08:25:53 am »

Yeah, that's the one. There are so many "guides" on how to do crossbow squads right. They're all well-meaning I'm sure, but almost every one veers off topic by explaining in detail how to needlessly work around a mythical bug.

The only thing which needs doing to work around broken behavior (uniform issues) is to switch off hunting skill from dorfs before you recruit them into your squad.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2016, 10:48:29 am »

Trying to figure out what weird set of things makes this happen, because it simply refuses to happen for me. How many idlers do you have? How many visitors? How many bartenders? Do you burrow your bartenders into the tavern so they don't do anything else? Turn off all other labors?

All I do is the following:

1. Have a large (at least 15x15 tavern)
2. Put booze stockpile in tavern
3. Have a great many mugs there, usually around 50.
4. Assign at least four bartenders, sometimes as many as eight if I'm feeling sadistic. I haven't had to disable labors that I've noticed but doing so couldn't hurt?

Every time I do this casualties happen. They aren't constant, and are much much more likely among visitors, but they do happen quite regularly. It seems the more idlers I have the more likely they are too, since that gives dwarves more time to drink. The only thing I can think that might prevent them is that there are so many visitors to the tavern the barkeeps just can't over-serve? I got no idea to be honest. Basically I put lots of booze-related things in the tavern and lots of personnel and then the magic happens.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2016, 11:25:51 am »

Too many patrons might be an issue, but when I've looked at it it seems the tavern keeper keeps serving the same small number of selected victims again and again rather than spreading the serving evenly. It might be a trait thing (e.g. immoderation) that causes these victims to carry a "serve me" beacon, but I've failed to identify any cause of that kind.
If your dorfs are sufficiently busy I would guess you'd see few deaths because:
1. If a dorf isn't at the tavern at all he's not going to be served.
2. If the dorf is busy most of the time he's likely to rise, swipe the vomit off with his hands, and stumble away to work after going unconscious and thus heal the lung damage, rather than immediately being sent crashing down no the floor by another serve to accumulate damage.

Thus, to fearlesslittletoaster's list I'd add:
5. Make sure dorfs are lightly loaded by work duties so they have time to be in the tavern. If you've kept them busy for a long time, expect some of them to spend a long time at a temple and/or library rather than the tavern. If you're going for visitite mining, you may actually want to keep the dorfs busy to keep them out of danger, but that doesn't seem to be the OP objective.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2016, 01:04:36 pm »

I don't think that there is a real fixed limit on the number of barkeepers you can assign.

I still think there might be a bug related to server jobs, and multiple barkeepers. I will start a "Tavern Fortress Challenge" fortress to test this hypothesis.

Fortress will consist of the BARE minimum of essential dwarves for booze supply line, and drinking containers-- and one giant tavern, with several dozen barkeepers.  We will see if fatality rate increases.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2016, 02:01:23 pm »

I don't think that there is a real fixed limit on the number of barkeepers you can assign.

I still think there might be a bug related to server jobs, and multiple barkeepers. I will start a "Tavern Fortress Challenge" fortress to test this hypothesis.

Fortress will consist of the BARE minimum of essential dwarves for booze supply line, and drinking containers-- and one giant tavern, with several dozen barkeepers.  We will see if fatality rate increases.

Dwarven science at its absolute finest. Can there be any science more dwarfy than "How do we get everyone to drink themselves to death?"

Bacos666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2016, 02:49:49 pm »

To add to this: I find that, much like visitors, idlers tend (note that key word there) towards the last location designated.

So, with my temple designated last, most dwarves end up praying rather than drinking unless they have an unfulfilled need.  Deleting my tavern and re-designating it so that it is last on the list seems to bias them towards the tavern again.

This has helped increase my tavern's lethality, if mostly among visitors.
Pages: 1 2 [3]