Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 'Creating' Water  (Read 5777 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Creating' Water
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 04:54:18 am »

Caverns in 0.43.05 can be both devoid of water and completely dry. In the first case there's just no source of water in them, but otherwise they work as normal (including arrival of water creatures such as giant olms). In the second case the cavern is covered in mud and there are no herbs and no trees, unless it's the third cavern, which has blood thorn (or at least it can have it). Despite the brown appearance, there is cave moss under the mud, so grazing is supported, and moss spores are released upon breach.

You can modify the amount of water in the caverns via advanced world gen parameters to make it more likely for caverns to be devoid of water and completely dry. I do that because it's such a pain to secure a completely water covered cavern, and to add insult to injury lots of water increases the risk of those blasted spheres that FAR too frequently camp in the water. And a completely drowned cavern won't get the non water compatible migrants (until you create a dry edge).
In one of my low cavern water worlds (0-25% water) I did the only genuine fortress reclaim I've made, but the mountainhome was completely dry: no surface water, no aquifer, and no water in any of the caverns.

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 09:53:18 am »

Seems dwarf fortress was tough back in 2007

ApatheticExcuse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 11:25:26 am »

Seems dwarf fortress was tough back in 2007

Not particularly. The newer versions are much more complex, you can't just kill everything with traps, 1 level of wall no longer means you're impervious to literally everything, titans and beast survive world gen now, the list goes on. About the only easier thing I've noticed gameplay wise these days is that it would appear very difficult to lose a fort to a tantrum spiral.

The UI, military management, and pathfinding are the three biggest things that come to my mind that made old DF frustrating more than anything.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2016, 12:42:56 am »

Can you melt a (natural) ice wall by running magma under it with the floor to keep it from turning obsidian?
If so, then let the 7/7 water spread to an adjacent underground tile, and then clear the magma away so the 4/7 water refreezes into a full ice wall.
Next open a hatch to allow the underground water to drop into a pool.
You'll have 3/7 water added to your reservoir and that should be infinitely loopable as I understand it.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 04:04:38 am »

If you have seed water and a freezing biome you can turn that into an unlimited water supply, yes.
As far as I understand, magma beneath (and probably above) natural ice will melt the ice.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2016, 05:50:58 am »

How far we have come
Damn. This thread was so dead, half it's skeleton had turned to dust and it's children had no idea it ever existed in the first place. You just beat the previous record for the oldest thread I've ever seen raised. Congratulations. This is some lich level thread necromancy right here.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 08:05:33 pm »

How far we have come
Damn. This thread was so dead, half it's skeleton had turned to dust and it's children had no idea it ever existed in the first place. You just beat the previous record for the oldest thread I've ever seen raised. Congratulations. This is some lich level thread necromancy right here.

Thank you, thank you, well I can't just let a thread like this die out
Pages: 1 [2]