Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 'Creating' Water  (Read 5779 times)

Bad_Skeelz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
'Creating' Water
« on: December 02, 2007, 07:17:00 pm »

My current fortress, Gravewalled, is located in a streamless tundra next to a magma vent. I was so stoked to actually find magma that I forgot to make sure it has things somewhat necessary to Dwarf survival, like water.

The fortress is about three years old and is steadily drilling down into the earth, but I'm worried about the lack of water. I've already had one bedridden Dwarf dehydrate to death, and I'm worried about making a real military for fear of them slightly wounding each other in sparring and suffering similar fates.

While I kind of like the idea of the Gravwalled Dwarves tolerating no phsyical weakness, I'd like to ensure at least some surviability for minor injuries. So, my question is this: is there some way to create water on a map that essentially has none? It pretty much snows nonstop here, and I was wondering if I might be able to fill a pit with snow and heat it with magma.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Creating' Water
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 07:25:00 pm »

I don't think there is any way to make water.  You can place a booze stockpile next to injured dwarves though.  military dwarves stop sparring as soon as one gets a gray wound and those heal in about 3 seconds.  So if you train them on wrestling there shouldn't be a problem.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Bad_Skeelz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 07:34:00 pm »

An army of iron-clad stranglers does sound appealing. Does putting a booze stockpile next to a wounded dwarf allow them to drink from it? I was under the impression they wouldn't drink booze period, not because it was inaccesible to them. I'll give it a shot, though, thanks!

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 07:35:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can haul ice down into the stone layers and it'll melt.

Bad_Skeelz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 07:37:00 pm »

quote:
I'm pretty sure you can haul ice down into the stone layers and it'll melt.

Unfortunately, there is no ice on the map. Just snow, muskox, and the cowardly polarbear.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 08:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Vanigo:
<STRONG>I'm pretty sure you can haul ice down into the stone layers and it'll melt.</STRONG>

This is sort of true. Water boulders (which are ice) melt when you take them underground, but unfortunately they don't melt into real water, but instead into little puddles like when a dwarf spills a bucket, which are promptly (or not so promptly) cleaned up.

if you have ice walls (glacier) you can drop them underground (need to build a roof over them first so it counts as indoors, and thus the underground still counts as underground) and they melt into water. Rewalled ice walls never melt so that won't work.

If you have a very small amount of water, pumps are bugged that they spit out more then they suck up, so you can pump it back and forth between 2 cisterns or whatever and (slowly) increase your stores. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to generate water from nothing though.

[ December 02, 2007: Message edited by: BurnedToast ]

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 10:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>

This is sort of true. Water boulders (which are ice) melt when you take them underground, but unfortunately they don't melt into real water, but instead into little puddles like when a dwarf spills a bucket, which are promptly (or not so promptly) cleaned up.</STRONG>

Hmm. What if you melt the ice, and have a pool zone designated - would the dwarves pick up that water and turn it into real water?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 10:47:00 pm »

I think it needs to be in a bucket, but it could possibly work.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 11:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Vanigo:
<STRONG>

Hmm. What if you melt the ice, and have a pool zone designated - would the dwarves pick up that water and turn it into real water?</STRONG>

Maybe, but I don't think so. It's like blood or mud, it just sits there until someone comes to clean it and you can't designate it for anything.

Worth a shot I guess if you have some spare ice, but I'm not very hopeful.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

DMT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 08:16:03 pm »

How far we have come

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 11:52:54 pm »

Well, I just put two adjacent opposite-oriented screw pumps powered by a windmill with water alternating between pools, and didn't notice an increase of water beyond what the dwarves filled with pond.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 12:04:52 am »

My current fortress, Gravewalled, is located in a streamless tundra next to a magma vent. I was so stoked to actually find magma that I forgot to make sure it has things somewhat necessary to Dwarf survival, like water. <P>The fortress is about three years old and is steadily drilling down into the earth, but I'm worried about the lack of water. I've already had one bedridden Dwarf dehydrate to death, and I'm worried about making a real military for fear of them slightly wounding each other in sparring and suffering similar fates.<P>While I kind of like the idea of the Gravwalled Dwarves tolerating no phsyical weakness, I'd like to ensure at least some surviability for minor injuries. So, my question is this: is there some way to create water on a map that essentially has none? It pretty much snows nonstop here, and I was wondering if I might be able to fill a pit with snow and heat it with magma.

I can't believe no one has said this yet; the caverns should have water. Almost a guarantee that 1 of the 3 caverns has some sort of water. Just dig down till you find one.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

gentgeen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 12:46:08 am »

The Caverns didn't always have water back in 2007. Back then, you had to be lucky and find an underground lake or river to discover subterranean water.

ApatheticExcuse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 01:03:06 am »

The Caverns didn't always have water back in 2007. Back then, you had to be lucky and find an underground lake or river to discover subterranean water.

I might be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure there were no caverns back in 2007. I personally was just happy to have some of them new-fangled "zee-levels" all the kids take for granted these days, even if it meant my dwarves had to path uphill, both ways, in a snowstorm.
/fogey

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 03:02:33 am »

Yeah, back then we just had really big holes and cracks in the mountain. No huge flat expanses of open space like we have now. All the subterranean creatures would be concentrated in those little spaces, and opening one up was pretty dangerous.

I remember I once lost about a dozen dwarves when I cracked an underground river right above a waterfall. One of the dwarves went in there to fish or drink from it and got attacked by a giant toad or olm. The rest of them followed to pick up the socks.
I also had a giant cave swallow fly out and start pecking dwarves to death. Just going after one at a time, nobody coming to their rescue despite it being in the middle of my meeting area. Marks dwarves were ignoring it. Fucker eventually went back to the chasm and stayed there.

Also, the new caverns can be completely dry sometimes as well. Or at least that's happened in the past, like the 31.x versions. In that case theres also no vegetation. Its not common though, and that being the case in all three cavern layers is even more unlikely.

Now, to creating water... I think you could do it via reaction if the reaction gives a glob of basic water in a bucket as product. That requires modding, and since you've already started the game you'd be replacing a preexisting reaction. No other good ideas...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: [1] 2