Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf hauling himself to death  (Read 987 times)

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf hauling himself to death
« on: May 24, 2016, 02:17:48 pm »

Right now, I got a Dwarf who is hauling 5 pages (!) of Silver war hammers and Steel spears. He is moving so slowly that he's now thirsty for a bit over a week.

I believe this never happened before, is this a bug ? Did you ever see something like this yourself ?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf hauling himself to death
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 03:26:25 pm »

If you're using 0.42.05 it could be the "steal stuff I like" bug that's fixed in 0.42.06 (only to be replaced by the masterworks trading bug instead). That bug causes dorfs to steal items they have preferences for, either the items themselves, or the materials.
I''ve worked around the bug by taking a look at dorfs moving slowly, and if they haul around a bunch of diorite pots (in my case), I use DFHack's autodump to take the items from the thief (after marking the items for dumping and making sure nothing else is marked for dumping).

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 03:58:26 pm »

Nope, I'm running 42.06 and after I forbade the rest of the hammers and spears he instantly went to the stockpile and dropped everything. But before that, I had 6 Dwarves making spears and hammers on repeat and he went to gather any non-mastercrafted ones to haul.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 04:20:27 pm »

With the recent fix to "pick up a bin to haul a penny" behaviors, even worse bugs have arisen. It looks like he's been taking one step away from the forge, then turning back to grab the next hammer. Silver hammers are very heavy. Try stopping production and seeing if he finally gets there. If that fails, use locked doors, civilian burrows, whatever, to cancel the job, then place a stockpile beneath the pile of hammers and tell it to "give to" whatever stockpile you actually want them in. Allow wheelbarrows in the actual pile first.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 04:23:35 pm »

That's the odd thing, I actually have wheelbarrows in the target stockpile, he just didn't use them.
And indeed, after stopping the production, he did drop them off. But he did not haul a bin for all this stuff, so this was kinda new behaviour for me.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 04:24:36 pm »

Are bins enabled in the target stockpile? Are they being used?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 04:32:17 pm »

Yes and yes, the target stockpile is the one in the lower middle room ( the one below the cursor), you can see them there as well as the wheelbarrow.