Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why you should play adventure mode.  (Read 6584 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why you should play adventure mode.
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 01:56:11 pm »

I just starting trying to play this in AM.  Worst part for me is every step I take I get three to five walls of text of people talking and can't continue for an eternity.  Too much to even try to read when all I want to do is find a merchant to sell some stuff to in order to get my speed back up (currently at 0.099).  Seems to lag worse than a five year old fortress that has cracked the candy.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 02:34:18 pm »

Drop the stuff and the lag will end. Basically, when you're ten times slower, each step has ten times more calculations to make, and is thus... Ten times slower.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 04:33:55 pm »

Yeah, it's not really lag that's the problem so much as the fact that you're taking something like 200 ticks to move.

Gun_Secutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 06:20:17 pm »

I just starting trying to play this in AM.  Worst part for me is every step I take I get three to five walls of text of people talking and can't continue for an eternity.  Too much to even try to read when all I want to do is find a merchant to sell some stuff to in order to get my speed back up (currently at 0.099).  Seems to lag worse than a five year old fortress that has cracked the candy.
Honestly unless you're trying to RP or something, carrying stuff to sell isn't really worth it. If you want equipment it's easier to just "find" them than legally buy them. Or just steal.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 11:30:14 pm »

totally agree with the OP, adventure mode is pretty fun, and is looking to be an even greater experience next patch.  Crafting and housebuilding looks amazing while not completely overshadowing loot you find in your excursions.  Hopefully the size on random gear will also be randomized now as well so other races besides humans are more interesting to gear.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 06:47:57 pm »

Aye, adventure mode is fun ... but can be deadly slow...

Right now I'm cleaving off Goblin number 1204's head in the middle of one of their Dark Fortresses which is full of them and the lag is horrible, in fact it takes several mins sometimes between each action. Lagging a little bit less now with all the dead...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 09:11:42 am »

It's definitively the biggest problem of adventure mode, everytime you're trying to visit an interesting site (interesting as in it's not near-deserted or not super small so there are many things to see and do) , the lag is near unplayable level.

I hope Toady will find a solution there, it's always disheartening to have to avoid sites because of this, despite there are things to do in them (free prisonners, take over, fight your faction enemies, etc...)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 08:30:43 am »

Weirdly, massive towns aren't bad unless there is a library (or zombie merchants), and they are actually lag-free in comparison to world-gen forts. Massive (30~40+ tile wide) rivers are the worst problems in the worlds I've been playing lately. Lots of towns, no world-gen forts, gobs restricted to the tundras/glaciers.

makeshift 8

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimli, sitting on 43.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 04:39:57 pm »

Why play adventure mode? Murder all Elves. Damn hippies.
Legolas: Final count... fourty-two.
Gimli: Fourty-two? Ohhhh, that's not bad for a pointy eared elvish princeling. I myself am sitting prettily on fourty-three!
Pages: 1 [2]