Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to view civilization beliefs and values before ADV or FORT Mode?  (Read 968 times)

KodiakDJ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

With the advent of citizens from other civilizations being able to join your fort (mercenaries, scholars, bards, etc.), I've noticed something interesting: civilizations, even of the same race, often have drastically different default values and beliefs, most noticeably in Human civilizations in my experience. Now, I like to know as much about my prospective civilizations as possible, and I often spend hours in Legends Viewer reading about the pantheons and histories of those civilizations before actually picking one to play. I'd like to know, is there's a way, via a utility such as Legends Viewer perhaps, in which I can see the beliefs of a given civilization, before playing either Adventure or Fortress mode?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Each human civ  has a set of base values generated at random.
You should be able to check them by starting adventurer with a human from each civ. Before you begin, go into the complete value customization screen, it will show you the default for the civ. Then just back out and try humans from other civs.

Everyone else has set values which get modified by individual personality traits.

Remember your human visitors may come from nearby dwarf or elf civs too.
Or indeed you may get a human from a different human civ, now a member of a civ with very different values. Depending on how poor he is at arguing, his values may be quite different from what you expect.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:18:03 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

KodiakDJ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Each human civ  has a set of values generated at random.
You should be able to check them by starting adventurer with a human from each civ. Before you begin, go into the complete value customization screen, it will show you the default for the civ. Then just back out and try humans from other civs.

Everyone else had set values which get modified by individual personality traits.

Remember your human visitors may come from nearby dwarf or elf civs too.
Or indeed you may get a human from a different human civ, now a member of a civ with very different values. Depending on how poor he is at arguing, his values may be quite different from what you expect.

Ah, I hadn't thought to do that. Might be somewhat time-consuming, but worth it. Thanks for the insight, and the suggestion!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Should be pretty quick, as you don't have to actually start the adventure to get the info. You'd have to make a note of what you want to know though as you can't get back there easily once you've started a fortress.
Oh well, you know you always wanted to keep a detailed Excel sheet of Dwarf Fortress info, right?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Should be pretty quick, as you don't have to actually start the adventure to get the info. You'd have to make a note of what you want to know though as you can't get back there easily once you've started a fortress.
Oh well, you know you always wanted to keep a detailed Excel sheet of Dwarf Fortress info, right?
It's actually fairly easy to go back and check thing with the proper planning: just copy the save BEFORE starting to play. You can then go and check these things in the copy (and you can even copy or move the copy to a separate DF install so you can have both at hand concurrently).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

True, this is what I usually do when I'm checking legends while playing. DF takes up so little space and generally doesn't seem to mind having two versions open at once.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

In fact, if you didn't copy the save, you can copy it now and abandon/retire. Same difference.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!