Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Movement: Exiting a water tile  (Read 520 times)

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Movement: Exiting a water tile
« on: April 21, 2016, 02:49:12 pm »

Is it possible to move from water to floor without a ramp in between?

An FB roamed around my first cavern layer for over a year without entering my trapped hallway.  I assumed it couldn't resist smashing the helpless door I left for it.  But after it suffered a fatal giant cave toad bite to the abdomen, I started wondering if maybe it couldn't get to it.  It seemed to have no trouble moving wherever it pleased around the cavern - water or no.

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
Re: Movement: Exiting a water tile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 11:59:43 pm »

interesting.... I am picturing something like a dock.  we already know they can't jump to a floor tile, so I would assume a floor above water is the same?

BUMP!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 09:07:46 pm »

...what?

Is it like this:

Code: [Select]
B...▼.D
OOOO▲OO

B=forgotten beast
.=floor
▲=upward ramp
▼=downward ramp
D=door
O=wall
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 06:33:27 am »

...what?

Is it like this:

This

Code: [Select]
OOOO
..ww
OOww
 Oww

O=wall
.=floor
w=open space over 7/7 water

So yeah, more like a dock.

The FB was a venomous spider.  I don't recall ever seeing it submerged, but I didn't really pay that much attention to it.  There are regularly cave crocs and toads in the cavern and so far (about 3 years) the traps haven't snared anything.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 06:46:39 am »

With the implementation of climbing, any creature with [GRASP] (that is, having a limb that can grab onto stuff) can move wherever it pleases as long as it can climb something (except ceilings). That means crundles, gremlins, ogres, FB's (with hands) could climb all the way up the well shaft for a surprise visit.

Of course, climbing 1 z-level out of water is not a problem. Crundles, for example, are natural legendary climbers, and I would assume spiders are too, along with spider-morph FB's.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 06:52:39 am by Urist Sonuvagimli »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 03:32:08 pm »

Actually, water exits are special. Any climber or swimmer with at least Adequate skill (for the swimmer; I think any skill is fine for climbers) is capable of exiting water, even without a ramp, so long as - if a ramp was placed where they currently are - they would be able to exit if there were no water/climbing. Essentially going up one z-level and moving to an adjacent floor tile.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 07:55:19 pm »

Thanks for all this info, it was exactly what I was wondering.

As an update, another FB is roaming the cavern now.  It's a webbing "Quadraped".  I've built it a special trap room that is just a bunch of doors in a hallway with fortifications overlooking the other trapped hallway.  I assume four doors is enough for if it ever wanders into the hallway and smashes one to close the gate behind it while it smashes the other three.  In any case, I built this one with a ramp into the water.  It's been open for several months and the FB seems completely oblivious to its presence.  Maybe low quality chert doors just aren't cool enough to smash these days.

But watching this one has definitely reminded me of the other one, and they both move in the 7/7 water tiles - which I presume is just swimming.  Since this cavern is completely flooded, I'm not certain either of them could even leave the water.