Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is this possible or might it come to be?  (Read 488 times)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is this possible or might it come to be?
« on: April 23, 2016, 01:10:59 pm »

I was thinking I'd like to have an independent multi-racial fortress whose main source of income is whatever's left by anyone who tries to invade it.

So anyone from a single adventurer or group to a necromancer with an undead army or a goblin/dwarf/elf/human army would come, attack, die and all the armor, weapons and supplies would be taken.

The fortress would need something to attract enemies, such as an artifact or a really big treasure. It might have its own diplomats and trade.

I thought I'd suggest it but since I hear you can take over entities in adventurer mode, maybe this is possible already or might be in the future?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Is this possible or might it come to be?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 01:27:45 pm »

Multi-racial? Accept petitions.

Sieges? High number of enemy neighbours, just sell their stuff to the caravans.

So yeah, once you have high wealth, more people/titans/etc will siege you.

Could be done, a fort that mostly depends on selling goblinite etc.
One wheel short of a wagon

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 02:12:36 pm »

If you wan to focus on the visitors/invaders part of the game, you might want to check out mods that allow for a greater variety of invaders/visitors/loot. Mods like the Fortress Defense Mod add over a dozen new mercenary and invader types, and most of the latter bring valuable equipment with them. Other, more esoteric mods may add new metals and armor types you may want imagine as being valuable loot.

Even a small mod to make elves and dwarves act as mercenaries might help improve your experience.

The mechanics in Dwarf Fortress definitely allow for such a playthrough as you desire.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 05:28:50 pm »

Currently enemies run out. Necro towers deplete from losses against you, and won't fill up again until you retire (at least they didn't for 70 years, but when I checked a few years later while reclaiming the mountainhome the necro towers had repopulated).
Goblin invaders unfortunately don't know how to use reinforcements, so they attack you from one settlement and continue to attack you from that settlement alone until they run out of bodies. In that same fortress they depopulated a small settlement and then actually repopulated it very slowly over the next 65 years or so, attacked twice again and lost half their forces each time, so they gave up again when they were down to 7 or so. And the later ones were recruits, i.e. unarmed and unarmored, so it wasn't exactly any fights.
All goblin civ collapsed as well. The one that attacked me lost the settlement it attacked from in the second year (to another goblin civ), but kept sending hello/goodbye sieges for another 6 years. The civ then went completely site and pop less, but still attacked from that small site, which was owner less at the time of the later sieges. The last goblin civ died as its 3 remaining members (all humans) died of old age. Note that the goblins weren't in trouble as a race (27000 goblins and a sum of 500 or so of the other races), but they all lived in sites that were outside of any civ's control.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 06:46:11 pm »

v.34.11 didn't have that problem, but on the other hand, it didn't have multiracial fortresses.

If you're okay with a bit of modding, you could make human/elf/goblin "castes" of dwarves, but they could all reproduce. Which really isn't that unrealistic, given half-elves or whatnot, but two dwarves could make a human baby via spores. Put it down to the rampant spores floating everywhere.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 05:03:31 am »

All these things sound great. How about the independent part? I'm pretty sure it's planned(probably 10 years in the future or so) to have the ability to switch between adventurer and fortress mode. Would it be possible then to make a group of multi-racial merry adventurers, take over a site, and then manage it like a fortress?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 03:34:18 pm »

Hrm, try waiting for 42.07. And you'd still need to have a civilization for embarking - though a bit of DFHackery could assign your fort a -1 civ_id or whatnot.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!