Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Performance Troupes, generic units, and vampires.  (Read 2457 times)

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: nonsensical euphemisms] [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
Performance Troupes, generic units, and vampires.
« on: April 02, 2016, 03:11:44 pm »

So, as Dwarf Fort decided once again that it was time to create bizarre fortress inhabitants for me, I had a performance troupe join my fortress. As in, an entire band of about twenty three poets. But, that isn't the important point;

Several of the performers were more skilled in random tasks like fishing than actual performance arts...
(Yes, most of the performers were goblins. The other half were elves. This is an equal-opportunity hole in the ground.)

(A goblin ranger performer. I assume their routine involves sniping fruit off someone's head)

(A goblin fisherman performer. Presumably, they utilize magic tricks involving fish)

And one of them didn't even have a profession at all

The first two make enough sense, I guess, but I don't understand this last, generic one at all. Can anybody shed any light on this, or at the very least put a few ideas out there as to what happened here?

UPDATE: I checked their personalities; the two "normal" goblins (the fisherman and the ranger) are both somewhat cruel and dream of ruling the world, (which I guess is pretty normal for goblins) whereas the generic goblin is a pacifist who values nature and wants to travel the world observing natural beauty.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 04:52:58 pm by Prop42 »
@: You: "Can you tell me where I can find me?"
1: The Dwarf Philosopher: "I don't know myself, and I don't even know anyone who could tell you."

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Performance Troupes and generic unit descriptions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 03:25:40 pm »

My guess is that it's the equivalent of the Dwarven "Peasant" -- a goblin without enough skills to have a profession, (and not drafted into the military to become a "recruit".)
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Performance Troupes, generic units, and vampires.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 03:33:48 pm »

UPDATE:

This just happened literally less then five minutes after the troupe arrived. I'm starting to think something is wrong here, considering that this is the same copy of Dorf Fort that the whole necromancer clerk happened in.

They're represented normally (except for the fact that they're blinking, signifying legendary skill) on the unit list, but... yeah. I have... absolutely no idea anymore.

UPDATE: They're trying to gain residence in the fortress under a psuedonym that isn't actually used by them in the unit list.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 03:44:22 pm by Prop42 »
1: The Dwarf Philosopher: "I don't know myself, and I don't even know anyone who could tell you."

Prop42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 04:40:19 pm »

Alright. So, a whole lot of stuff happened all at once. I'm still very confused, but here's what I DO know for sure:

I denied entry to the vampire, at which point they immediately became hostile, then ran away in fear when a chicken pecked at its legs. It then ran around in circles in a small open room my miners were digging in, while said miners chased it around. The militia (who I had armed with crossbows) then came down and began firing at the vampire, joining the miners in chasing it around the fortress for about 10 minutes, with the vampire dodging almost every arrow,  turning the area into a sci-fi battlefield of colorful lines flying everywhere, which I don't have pictures of because I'm dumb and forgot to take them.

(here's a page of the report. 16 pages of this, by the way.)

This continued for quite a while, until one recruit, who was armed with a shortsword instead of a crossbow, woke up from sleeping, plodded downstairs, and stabbed the vampire in the stomach, killing it, before going back to bed and sleeping for half a season.

While of this was going on, there were about 3 trolls trying to get into the fortress through a staircase leading into a cavern; each of them broke down a door, and then were beaten to death by an unarmed farmer, who kicked their heads in. At the same time, the aforementioned performance troupe that joined the fortress apparently broke the pathfinding of all the dwarves in my tavern, who began spamming several hundred job cancellations per second.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened, but yeah. If anyone cares, I'll post any details that I find.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 05:52:46 pm »

Annoyingly, the petition screen shows the English translation of petitioners' last name, which of course causes some confusion.
I've recently seen a few performance troupes composed of characters from different civs. One of them asked for residence for the troupe, and the whole lot of them joined as one.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 10:34:19 pm »

I also had a few dwarves visiting my Tavern that were labelled as "metalcrafter" and "farmer".

I think the 'visiting summary' thing was broken too. It said something like:

"Urist McFarmer has come to . He heard the oily breakfast was the place to relax/perform"

I can't remember the details of if it was relax or perform. But the reason they came was broken.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 10:59:30 pm »

Performance troupes have bodyguards. That would explain some of the non-artist followers. Might also explain why they have no reason for visiting. The others are...groupies?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 11:21:40 pm »

Alright. So, a whole lot of stuff happened all at once. I'm still very confused, but here's what I DO know for sure:

I denied entry to the vampire, at which point they immediately became hostile, then ran away in fear when a chicken pecked at its legs. It then ran around in circles in a small open room my miners were digging in, while said miners chased it around. The militia (who I had armed with crossbows) then came down and began firing at the vampire, joining the miners in chasing it around the fortress for about 10 minutes, with the vampire dodging almost every arrow,  turning the area into a sci-fi battlefield of colorful lines flying everywhere, which I don't have pictures of because I'm dumb and forgot to take them.

(here's a page of the report. 16 pages of this, by the way.)

This continued for quite a while, until one recruit, who was armed with a shortsword instead of a crossbow, woke up from sleeping, plodded downstairs, and stabbed the vampire in the stomach, killing it, before going back to bed and sleeping for half a season.

While of this was going on, there were about 3 trolls trying to get into the fortress through a staircase leading into a cavern; each of them broke down a door, and then were beaten to death by an unarmed farmer, who kicked their heads in. At the same time, the aforementioned performance troupe that joined the fortress apparently broke the pathfinding of all the dwarves in my tavern, who began spamming several hundred job cancellations per second.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened, but yeah. If anyone cares, I'll post any details that I find.

Dafuq? Sounds like succession fortress material! Are you sure you aren't living on a succession fort's grave?

Joking aside, looks like funky morale.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 02:11:37 pm »

You think a vampire performer is bad... I had a werebeast (I honestly forgot what type) visitor once.  I got the message a nightcreature was attacking and quickly put my trained militia on guard near the -only- entrance to my fort who had been training in the adjacent barracks.  Confused about when this bastard would actually get to my front gate (they are fast) I zoomed in on him to find... it was in hte middle of my grand hallway surrounded by the bodies of its fellow travelers and half my haulers.  At least vamps only occasionally kill people and don't spread >.> They can be found out before they so much as kill a single person, too.