Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Call of Cthulhu IRC - Have You Seen This Man? (Recruiting)  (Read 1918 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I've got an idea for a Call of Cthulhu scenario I think should be pretty fun, possibly avoiding some of the common tropes and settings of Cthulhu stuff (not to spoil anything!)

So I want to see if there's interest in a game before I start doing serious work on it, plus it'll be better if I have an idea of the characters.

The setting is Cold Spring, a small, dreary, rust-belt city in New York, in the year 1990.  Investigators can be natives of Cold Spring if you'd like, but they probably don't live there now.  That can be changed depending on what kind of backgrounds people come up with. 

The investigator situation I had in mind was that you're a newly-formed and untested private investigation company, and for your first mission you get a softball pitch:  One investigator's aunt calls, and your 19 year old deadbeat cousin Billy has disappeared.  He's probably off shooting up in some burnt-out factory but he's all your aunt has and she's having conniptions.

Police or similar backgrounds would make sense for at least one character.  As an alternative, your little organization could be of a more paranormal bent, in which case different backgrounds might be in order.  This is the age of Satanic Panic after all, and Billy certainly fits the profile, with long hair, drugs, and heavy metal music. 

Either way, you're a budding bunch of investigators, and you can't help but feel like you're being thrown a bone here, but you gotta build your resume one way or another. Hopefully it'll turn out as straightforward as it looks, right?  Right?  I'm open to completely different ideas for how your characters get involved. 

Setting aside, I'm pretty sure most people are familiar with what CoC is.  You play a group of investigators, initially ignorant and optimistic about the world, pursuing what seem like mundane cases until you're confronted with the stark reality of things that can't be explained, and next to which human lives are inconsequential.  They find themselves fighting vainly not just against humanity's extinction, but against their own inexorable conviction that what they're doing doesn't matter.  You gave up everything to stop Cthulhu but he'll just be back later.  At least the end of the world isn't your fault?

I'll be using the 7th edition rules.  There's not much different from 6e which people are probably more familiar with.  It'll been a long time so it'll be a learning experience for me too, so I'm not requiring people to be super familiar with the rules.  We'll probably meet on IRC once a week, preferably the weekends since I'll be working soon. 

I need to go but I'll be editing this more in a few hours.  People can post availabilities and ideas for characters, and we'll figure out actually creating them.  Probably on the first session in IRC for people who don't know how.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:50:57 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody up for Call of Cthulhu? (Gauging Interest)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 04:33:20 am »

Me! I'd love to join!

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 10:19:53 am »

Depends on the timeframe we're lookining at

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 10:34:17 am »

I would be interested in PBP, since I cant nail down any one time I would be available.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 12:33:26 pm »

How appropriate that you're calling for this :P

Just waiting for the investigators to figure out that Cthulu isn't an entity that exists in their world, but a person creating a forum game about their suffering.
Or Cthulu IS an entity in game, and the only way to beat it is to show it you and give it a complex :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 02:57:17 pm »

I would be interested in PBP, since I cant nail down any one time I would be available.

I don't do PBP.

As for timeframe, probably evenings on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.  5 or so GMT-5.
Shoes...

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 08:21:43 pm »

I don't do PBP.

As for timeframe, probably evenings on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.  5 or so GMT-5.

I'm out

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Cthulhu IRC - Have You Seen This Man? (Recruiting)
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 03:59:32 pm »

If it's Saturday or Sunday I can probably do it.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 07:32:35 am »

This sounds like fun, unfortunately, I'm only able to do weekdays, so Friday. Unless there is a role you can ignore on days when we don't do it Friday, I probably shouldn't join. Having to be on auto-pilot two out of three sessions won't be fair to any of us :P

Out of curiosity, how long would each session last?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 07:36:46 am »

Probably three or four hours.  I'll need to look through and see how many people we've actually got.  If we do Friday I might be able to get a friend to join, he's been jonesing for D&D but has a baby.  This might be a decent compromise.
Shoes...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 08:56:55 am »

I make Billy look like a hard-working, career-minded individual, so I could totally join this.
Never played CoC before though, although I've always wanted to.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 04:46:58 pm »

I just keep returning to this topic because I'm dying to join a game and it sounds really promising, but there's two big things holding me back...

A) I'm a complete newb regarding RPGs/roleplaying and this sounds fairly in-depth, so there's a good chance I'd end up dragging everything down as I flailed about ineffectually.

B) On IRC, I'd probably end up having to rely on a voice-to-text program, which at best would slow me down as I fix mistakes, and at worst could be pretty much unworkable. Wouldn't know unless I tried it, honestly.

So, I'm interested, but realistically I'm probably not a good fit. :P