Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Libraries and socializing  (Read 1228 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Libraries and socializing
« on: February 28, 2016, 06:07:05 pm »

I've been using locked doors to allow / disallow access to my temple / libraries / tavern, which works pretty well as a means of controlling what your dwarves are allowed to do, when. As long as you manage to get a location empty for a second to lock the doors, that is.

Whenever the tavern or temple is open, dwarves will go there, and pray or do tavern stuff, but rarely if ever take on no job.

In the library however, they do hang around with no job, when there's no more books there they haven't read yet.
They even prefer hanging out in a library location over hanging out in a free meeting zone. (I did designate those libraries from meeting zones).
EDIT: note that the other possibility for my dwarves' preference to go there is that my library meeting zones are older (have been designated before) my diplomat chill zone.

So if you want your dwarves to make friends, and get married, libraries are your best option of huddling your dwarves closely together with no job. Just make sure your temples and taverns are on lock down, and watch your unemployed dwarves flock to your library.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:09:13 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Libraries and socializing
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 07:25:29 pm »

Yeah, but dwarves don't really socialize. As a general rule, they barely even talk with their acquaintances, let alone strangers.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 08:18:59 pm »

Isn't forming friendships and romantic relations a process that happens passively whenever two dwarves with no job stand/move right next to each other?

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 08:30:13 pm »

It was an RP thing.

And I'm not really sure when "friend-making" happens. Maybe you're right.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 01:13:25 am »

I Have noticed a dramatic reduction in friend production in version 42.xx. My idlers went from having dozens of friends to only having 1 or 2. I imagine the reduction is partiality due to me keeping a far larger portion of my fortress employed than back in the day, but surely it can't explain all the difference. I find this really odd because i thought social alcohol drinking in the tavern would increase socialization, not the other way round.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 03:17:28 am »

As far as I understand, the 0.40.X version formed friendship by being idle next to each other, and possibly eating next to each other, with parties as a means to add/increase friendship levels once they FINALLY managed to get any friend to party with.
As far as I understand, the 0.42.X needs system has changed that into using the unspecified Socialize action to increase familiarity with other dorfs, which basically means tavern time. A side effect of this is that I have so far failed to find any child who recognizes the beard of any other child (some of them have somehow formed a small number of basic relation with adults, but it's not unusual to see a fortress grown new adult with a completely empty non family relation list).

Note that the above is written by someone who managed to produce one lover couple by burrowing and locking in two compatible dorfs with food booze, bedrooms and a tavern for a few months, only to completely fail with the second couple (1˝ year, and they still don't recognize each other, despite spending most of the time socializing, chatting, reciting poetry, singing, dancing together in close proximity).

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 04:08:23 am »

Something else to note is that while my dwarfs have very few dwarf friends, they quite often have many non-dwarf friends. Perhaps a dwarf-only tavern is in order to increase the amount of socializing dwarves do with other dwarfs?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 04:51:14 am »

I kinda suspect the old behaviour still works (passive gain from proximity), and that dwarfs do not socialize while socializing in the tavern (except when they shuffle their feet around the tavern and move past each other).

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 03:40:26 pm »

I understand they just don't remember each other when the hangover ends. This is actually quite realistic.