Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: State of Graphics Changed?  (Read 552 times)

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
State of Graphics Changed?
« on: February 03, 2016, 11:49:29 pm »

I hope you will forgive me if this is a repeated thread, but I have seen a few reports that as of 2014 DF could be played more or less in 3d, and then I read some updates that seemed to be speaking of an "image specifying interface".

Can someone give me the quick lowdown and a link to the most recent set of mods and packs I need to play this version in 3d? And, is all of this possible in Linux? I have Windows 10 as well, but I do most of my day to day computing on my Linux drive and would much prefer to have DF there if at all possible.

Thanks for any help.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: State of Graphics Changed?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 11:56:50 pm »

Whoa whoa whoa, slow down. First of all, the recent update allows you to specify the image engraved on a surface, not the image going to your computer screen. And second of all, there's no "new modpacks" allowing you to play in 3d. There's Stonesense, an isometric pack, and Armok Vision, a perspective viewer, neither of which can be overlayed on the screen. (Well, Stonesense can, but I wouldn't recommend it.) None of these are new.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: State of Graphics Changed?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 12:00:44 am »

Oh? Bummer. Ok. I saw this from 2014, which seems to indicate you could play 3d live via overlay or some such.

http://www.pcgamer.com/dwarf-fortress-0-40-01-released-in-game-graphics-now-possible-in-older-version/

And then I saw that blurb about engraved images.

Well... ok. LOL!

Some day before I die, I hope to see this game with some half decent graphics.

Edited to add:

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/dwarf-fortress-3d/

This flat out seems to say Stonesense can now make the game playable in 3d, but has no real instructions or link.

I am downloading lazy newb pack for Linux. If I figure it out I guess I will answer my own question here. If someone notices me before then, I will be eternally grateful.

...or at least briefly grateful.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:56:43 am by Durin »