Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: turbo-farming  (Read 2954 times)

Harald387

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: turbo-farming
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 10:33:00 pm »

quote:
Channeling uphill like that is a bug exploit.

The Romans managed to bring running water to half of southern Italy and sustain a population of well over a million using nothing but rock, concrete, and bronze-age manpower to build aqueducts and channels. Should be a snap for Dwarves.

-K"H"S

"I will answer fealty with fealty, protection with protection, justice with justice, and oathbreaking with vengeance, so help me God"

-David Weber, "Field of Dishonor"

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »

On the subject of stupid, stupid miners...

This was actually a really cold map and the river ice was thick too...

Is it too much to ask for the miners to at least try to swim in a random direction, not just back and forth until they die?

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 04:13:00 pm »

even quicker way of getting farms is this....
add the line
code:
 [SPEED:1] 

to the creature standard document and those dwarves rocket along....
....legendary miner in 2 months
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 07:47:00 pm »

quote:
Is it too much to ask for the miners to at least try to swim in a random direction, not just back and forth until they die?[/QB]

I'll pretty sure what they try to do now is swim for the location they entered the water from. The current pushes them away faster than they can swim.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 11:36:00 pm »

See, I always assumed that it was going downhill, from left to right.  The whole "pulling water uphill = exploit" thing only recently made sense at all to me, in that Toady just said that in an earlier version of the game, rivers really did flow down from the rock face, but that no longer happens as it was buggy and didn't actually work anyway.

The reality is now that everything is flat, except for the channels, which are downhill both ways.

I still imagine things going downhill the further you go into the mountain though, and as such, farming this way makes MORE sense than farming from the cave river (unless you farm on the far side of the cave river).

Visible

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 12:26:00 am »

quote:
I still imagine things going downhill the further you go into the mountain though[/QB]

here's how I think of this; Imagine your fortress extending inwards on a flat plane. You go "deeper" into the mountain without deviating from sea-level.

Momaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 05:24:00 am »

I don't have a problem with channeling from the outside river.  Even if the base of the cliff face where you start digging is above the level of the river (which it must be by some amount),  it is not hard to imagine a stepped series of locks with a simple hoist that is manned (dwarved?) when water is needed higher up.

Or even better, since dwarves seem to understand hydraulics and machinery, the rather newer concept of the hydraulic ram.

Failing that...  Logically if the water is flowing from north to south, the north side is higher. So just construct your channel starting near the north edge of the map, and by the time it gets down to your cave entrance, it would be suspended in the air as a raised aquaduct.

The game requires some creative thinking, not only due to the lack of a Z axis, but also due to the fact that liquid is infinite. And that liquid will evaporate with amazing speed: realistically you can't clear a flooded room just by shutting the source of the liquid. There are some concessions that must be made in the name of realism versus gameplay.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 03:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Visible:
<STRONG>

here's how I think of this; Imagine your fortress extending inwards on a flat plane. You go "deeper" into the mountain without deviating from sea-level.
   </STRONG>

Haha.. thats a really cute picture :P

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Visible

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 07:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ColonelTEE3:
<STRONG>

Haha.. thats a really cute picture :P</STRONG>

Prints and T-shirts coming soon.   ;)

Seshat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2007, 11:10:00 am »

If I were the dwarves, I'd make a simple water wheel to bring the water uphill. Or an archimedes' screw, powered by a water wheel.

Heck, do both.

Bringing water to the top of a channel or aqueduct is a simple engineering exercise, when you have a flowing water source you can use to provide the necessary motion.

Pages: 1 [2]