Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: turbo-farming  (Read 2953 times)

Visible

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
turbo-farming
« on: February 12, 2007, 08:30:00 pm »

Anybody else do this? Makes for easy first winters. For people too lazy to click the link, the general idea is to dig a channel from the exterior river into the cliff face, while quickly making floodgate/doors with outdoor workshops.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: turbo-farming
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 08:39:00 pm »

I don't, but that's because I do herbalism + still + kitchen for the first three years or so, which provides enough food to feed an army, leaving me free to think about aesthetics when it comes to fortress design, and a farm out front like that just isn't aesthetic enough for me.

I used to though, before learning the herbalism trick.  It is nice and fast.

Aribar Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 08:55:00 pm »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:29:43 pm by Aribar Hunter »

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 10:54:00 pm »

Channeling uphill like that is a bug exploit.

Visible

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 11:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AlanL:
<STRONG>Channeling uphill like that is a bug exploit.</STRONG>

It just depends on how imaginative you are with spacial relationships. Who's to say what's really "uphill" in this crazy, mixed up, two dimensional world we live in?  <.<;

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 11:59:00 pm »

Many people don't do that, for sake of it violating realism.  It's been discussed before.  I did it once before I decided I just didn't like the idea behind it.

People can always make excuses, of course.  Perhaps there are implied locks and spillways to allow the water to pump itself uphill.  Dwarves are, after all, engineering experts, considerably superior to human engineers of the time.  They haven't invented machines or steam engines in the game world yet, but as far as their technological developments go, I imagine that it would be within the next century for the dwarves, and at least several centuries (possibly even a whole millenium) for the humans.

Incidentally, isn't that farm exceedingly dangerous?  Not only does it have the possibility of backwashing right out of the mountain past the floodgate, but if you forget to lock the control room with the dwarf still inside, the dwarf pulling the lever is as good as dead and the map will permanently flood. =)

It's always better to build a disjoint control room that doesn't connect to the farm in any way.  That way, even if the farm begins to flood where it shouldn't, the dwarf who pulled the lever can be quickly ordered to pull it again before the water manages to source itself with a river.

[ February 13, 2007: Message edited by: JT ]

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Visible

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 12:31:00 am »

It is exceedingly dangerous.   :D

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 03:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by AlanL:
<STRONG>Channeling uphill like that is a bug exploit.</STRONG>

Actually it's emergent gameplay which is totally different   ;)

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 05:42:00 am »

I used to use the external river for farming.
I stopped when I saw that the dead miner just wasn't worth it.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 08:18:00 am »

quote:
Channeling uphill like that is a bug exploit.

there's a hill???   :roll:

cause of unexplainable mischief

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 01:36:00 pm »

See, I just don't have a sense of the proper z-layout of a fortress. Is it something like this?

code:

|####################
     |#########          *
     |#           /~~\   *
         /~~\   ###~~## &*
     /####~~##  #######& *
--~~--#########  ####### &*
##\/###########  #######& *
###############  ####### &*

The / \ around the magma and cave river represent the thin shell of rock that apparently holds back the pressure of a nigh-infinite volume of liquid death.

Aribar Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 02:20:00 pm »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:29:18 pm by Aribar Hunter »

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 02:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aribar Hunter:
<STRONG>

How'd you lose a miner to channeling? I've had mine get in the water for the final bit of channel, yeah, but I've never come close to losing one I think..</STRONG>

Don't ask me, as the damn miner that got it into his head that swimming towards a raging river is a good idea.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 08:02:00 pm »

First, the danger of losing a miner to sheer idiocy (swimming off into the river or just back and forth) is quite real... I always save my game right before I connect to the river, and don't feel bad about force quitting and reloading, because... a miner dying in a shallow trench he just dug is... silly...

Anyway, I think the z-axis theoretically slopes up towards the cliff face, and then the dwarves start mining slightly downward.

That said, I personally have no realism issues with outside river irrigation- consider the following:
The initial situation is like this:

code:

##############
           ##############
           ##############
         ################
###~~~####################
##########################

Most people assume the dwarves are doing something preposterous like this:
code:

##############
           #      #######
           _~~~~~~#######
         __##############
###~~~____################

Of course the fact is, the z axis hasn't been implemented at all yet, so what's to say the dwarves aren't actually doing this?
code:

##############
           ##############
           ##############
         ..#      #######
###~~~_______~~~~~~#######

To clarify, the periods represent land in the background- the dwarves have basically just built a very deep channel here.

My point is that the interior of your fortress does not necessarily have to be at the same level as the surface. It would be a simple matter for dwarves to build some steps downward near their entrance, or next to the farms- that's obviously not represented yet ingame, but conceptually it's no great leap of imagination...

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 08:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eiba:
<STRONG>First, the danger of losing a miner to sheer idiocy (swimming off into the river or just back and forth) is quite real... I always save my game right before I connect to the river, and don't feel bad about force quitting and reloading, because... a miner dying in a shallow trench he just dug is... silly...</STRONG>

Boy, that brings back fond memories of Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

The movie, not the men.

quote:
<STRONG>To clarify, the periods represent land in the background- the dwarves have basically just built a very deep channel here.</STRONG>

Yeah, this is the reasoning that I use when I build a moat which comes out from the mountainside, curves around, then goes back into the mountainside.  I just assume the moat is slightly deeper as it nears the cliff face.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin
Pages: [1] 2