Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 80% of my fortress is doing nothing but praying and socializing.  (Read 9887 times)

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have been trying to get them to haul wood and stone that I need for a YEAR game time, but they won't stop praying and partying.

Halp. :_:

fluffymormegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 80% of my fortress is doing nothing but praying and socializing.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 08:14:49 pm »

Does un-designating your temple / tavern help?

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 08:16:44 pm »

:o
Does un-designating your temple / tavern help?
I can try, but I'd rather wait and see if there's another fix, because I would like to keep my tavern and temple if possible.

http://puu.sh/ml6p6/9f69600ac3.png A picture of my dwarves list. :_:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:18:47 pm by Sorgklaan »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 08:21:17 pm »

You can use civilian alerts to kick people out of your taverns. Sadly, will not work for temples. There's no penalty for undesignating a temple though (and then using a civilian alert to kick them out of there or they will be stuck praying in a non existing temple)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 08:31:43 pm »

Are you in 42.03 or before? because there was a bug where dwarves would constantly pray because the need was not being filled. Toady fixed this in .04.

Edit: Looking over your unit list, that doesn't seem abnormal really. Dwarves will get to your tasks but if they have needs they will do those things first. There is a priority list and counter now for each thing the dwarf could be doing. Green recreation jobs will be interupted for work stuff... eventually.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:35:22 pm by Halnoth »
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Sorgklaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 08:33:04 pm »

Damn, I am on 42.03.

I guess I'll just have to get rid of the temple.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 08:35:46 pm »

Damn, I am on 42.03.

I guess I'll just have to get rid of the temple.

or upgrade
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 10:22:11 pm »

You can keep the save; just copy it over. It's in data/save/whateveryourregionnameis
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Herbalist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 10:48:24 pm »

Are you sure standing orders aren't ignore wood/stone?
“It occurred to me that if I could invent a machine - a gun - which could by its rapidity of fire, enable one man to do as much battle duty as a hundred, that it would, to a large extent supersede the necessity of large armies, and consequently, exposure to battle and disease [would] be greatly diminished.”
― Richard Jordan Gatling

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 11:59:05 pm »

There actually was a 42.03 workaround for the prayer part (it was linked to a dwarf not being able to pray to all of his deities at a polytheistic temple properly).  You might could solve it with a temple to every single deity, but it involved multiple burrows and a lot of micromanagement.  Just upgrade to 42.04 and keep the save.

You can even keep multiple versions of DF, and even copy saves between them (but only push older saves forward, not back).  I keep a modded and vanilla folder, and never trash an older version until I'm sure the new release is stable.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 03:32:21 am »

Additionally, make sure your stone/wood stockpile do NOT have wheelbarrows assigned to it.
If a stockpile have wheelbarrows assigned, only wheelbarrows will be used and considering there are a max of 3 wheelbarrows in a stockpile, it means that at max only 3 dwarves at a same time will ever try to haul things to that stockpile, making it hugely inefficient when there are hundred of items to be hauled.

So make sure wheelbarrow is set to 0 , so all your idle dwarves will participate in the hauling instead of only as much dwarves as there are wheelbarrow for that stockpile.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 05:08:57 am »

I wonder when/if toady will increase number of allowed wheelbarrows.

I'd love to see a max haul count as well so we can limit how many dwarfs will work on any given stockpile at a time.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 05:41:58 am »

Additionally, make sure your stone/wood stockpile do NOT have wheelbarrows assigned to it

To be fair some stone stockpiles, specifically the ones with heavy stuff like heavy metal ores, are very much quicker if wheelbarrows are used.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 06:13:02 am »

Additionally, make sure your stone/wood stockpile do NOT have wheelbarrows assigned to it.
If a stockpile have wheelbarrows assigned, only wheelbarrows will be used and considering there are a max of 3 wheelbarrows in a stockpile, it means that at max only 3 dwarves at a same time will ever try to haul things to that stockpile, making it hugely inefficient when there are hundred of items to be hauled.

So make sure wheelbarrow is set to 0 , so all your idle dwarves will participate in the hauling instead of only as much dwarves as there are wheelbarrow for that stockpile.

You know you could just make 10 smaller stockpiles in the same space and have 30 wheelbarrows, right?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479