Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wool Cloth Issue  (Read 1741 times)

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
Wool Cloth Issue
« on: December 24, 2015, 01:23:13 am »

I have seen several other threads on this topic, but none of them quite answered my question.  I currently have several binds of wool cloth in my fortress which I want to use to make clothing, but my clothiers are refusing to it, giving error messages saying: clothier cancels make cloth sock, needs 1 unused plant cloth.

Is there a special job in the task menu for the clothiers work shop that will allow wool cloth to be used, or do I just have to write the cloth off as a loss and go with yarn from now on?

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wool Cloth Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 01:27:40 am »

Yarn is wool cloth, my poor fellow.  "Cloth" is plant-based cloth.

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 11:48:13 am »

Not true.  Yarn is a type of thread and can be woven at a loom into cloth.  If you don't believe me you can check the page for the textile industry on the wiki.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 12:37:50 pm »

There are three types of fabric in Dwarf Fortress: cloth (plant fibers), yarn (animal hair), and silk (webs).

When you go into the Clothier's shop and start a job, the first thing it asks you is which type of fabric to use.  You are pressing "cloth", and the job is failing because there isn't any.  If you want to make a piece of clothing out of your wool, you need to press yarn at the first prompt.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 12:58:29 pm »

It's complicated. Yarn as an item is wool thread. Wool as an option for material for making clothes just means wool.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 02:36:01 pm »

It's not that complicated. Yarn turns into yarn cloth. Go to the clothier workshop and add a job, choose yarn and choose the clothing item. Same think in the manager, search for "yarn sock".

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 02:49:51 pm »

Thanks guys.  Setting things to be made out of yarn worked.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 08:17:51 pm »

Yeah, but the cloth is called "wool" and the option "yarn". A bit confusing, yes?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 01:23:53 am »

Ya, the wording is confusing.  Maybe if the item description said "alpaca wool yarn cloth" or something like that it would be easier.