Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new, or very rare training job?  (Read 1000 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
new, or very rare training job?
« on: December 24, 2015, 08:49:30 pm »

I didn't know that that was an option for training soldiers, but here it is:

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: new, or very rare training job?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 09:22:40 pm »

We may now know what is wrong with sparring! More info for the bugfixers!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 09:47:29 pm »

Why would there be anything wrong with it? I just wondered if the "watch sparring session" was new for this version, or that it's just so rare that I never saw it before.
It sounds like a completely legit option, no bug there. Now we just need the crowd to cheer, and place bets

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 10:03:32 pm »

I've been playing quite a bit of 0.34.11 recently, and I remember noticing a watch biting practice or something happening. It might not be the same thing though, I'd have to see the exact job again.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 10:12:16 pm »

Does it have something to do with a teacher/student relationship?  I know there were some jobs such as Watch Demonstration that used it.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 10:15:38 pm »

Demonstrations are all supposed to be watched. Watching sparring is a bit odd. Even the cats and dogs don't sit around gawping but get stuck in when there's a bit of sparring going on. Might be why no-one moves when they spar now if the game thinks it's a demonstration.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 10:54:31 pm »

I'd very rarely see it pre-v40 without a single ingredient: The Champion.

Soldiers tend to watch sparring sessions when a Champion is presently engaged in one and they don't have something better to do at that moment if I'm not mistaken, though as said, I also saw it happen extremely rarely without one.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 11:11:39 pm »

Soldiers tend to watch sparring sessions when a Champion is presently engaged in one and they don't have something better to do at that moment if I'm not mistaken, though as said, I also saw it happen extremely rarely without one.
In this case, the champion is watching. I guess the human Lady amongst their ranks is even more of a spectacle.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 11:16:59 pm »

In this case, the champion is watching. I guess the human Lady amongst their ranks is even more of a spectacle.

A human who tries to fight as dorfs. A marvel and hilarious for the beard-warriors to behold.