Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Both military and civilian Dwarves arm themselves with Goblets  (Read 1312 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Both military and civilian Dwarves arm themselves with Goblets
« on: December 21, 2015, 04:17:55 pm »

Not sure if bug or feature ???  Despite having a perfectly good armory, the weapon of choice for any conflict is now the beer mug.  A human scholar got his head caved in during a bar fight b/c some Dorf was wielding a golden cup.  Similarly, my 3 Marksdwarves went into battle brandishing glass chalices, which went about as well as you might expect.  Anyone else finding military prefer using mugs instead of weapons?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Both military and civilian Dwarves arm themselves with Goblets
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 04:23:30 pm »

Ah good to know.  Of course now I wonder if it would be possible to coax my militia into only using gold goblets, thus creating a mighty army of Miscellaneous Item Users.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 05:37:15 pm »

This bug definitely saved my fort last night when a webbing FB blew through my airlock and some dwarf walking by caved the FBs torso with one smash of *steel goblet*.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 05:49:18 pm »

Ah good to know.  Of course now I wonder if it would be possible to coax my militia into only using gold goblets, thus creating a mighty army of Miscellaneous Item Users.

Hard. Best way would be to only make gold mugs from the start.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 11:43:59 am »

It's not always a bad thing, that's for sure. I had a bowyer go berserk from us not finding silk fast enough. She got into the stairway, where children punched her down, and then my mayor beat her skull in with a *silver goblet*. It now contains barley wine and the bowyer's blood.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 12:28:24 pm »

I always hoped the Taverns Update would include glassing.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 01:48:50 pm »

By following around my dwarves, I find no problems with the drink job. Dwarves pick up the closest goblet they can find, head to a barrel, drink with the goblet, then deposit it back into the nearest stockpile. Dwarves with a drink job don't seem to take goblets from tavern chests. Which makes sense, I guess those are reserved for the barkeepers.

I suspect the problem lies with drinks served by bartenders. Perhaps related to the 'people will drink their weapons when given a drink in adventure mode'. Could be something bugged with the 'give item to' action.
I have yet to confirm it's the barkeepers serving drinks that's causing the dwarves to hold on to their goblets though. My barkeepers haven't served any drinks in ages. Perhaps that is because they are already holding a mug with booze in their hands. I'll try finding dwarves without mugs and let those barkeep see if that helps. Will add to Mantis if I can confirm.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 03:00:23 pm »

I had a warrior get attached to a set of guitar strings as a weapon recently.
(Not really guitar strings, but you know what I mean.)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 03:14:10 pm »

I can confirm it's the tavernkeeper's served drinks that are causing this.

The barkeeper's served drinks do not get consumed. When a tavern keeper delivers a mug of booze to a tavern guest, the guest does not drink it, but instead just wears the mug in his inventory.

So every dwarf that has ever been served a drink in the tavern has a mug he won't drop. Some dwarves even wear two mugs.

Note also, that a mug that is being used for a drink job is listed in the inventory as (hauled), while mugs provided by a tavern keeper are worn on the (left hand) or (right hand).

EDIT: for some reason, military dwarves do seem to drop their mugs. No idea why. They're not set to replace clothing in their uniform (They don't have armor yet), so that's not it. Perhaps they drop them while sparring. Wish those sparring combat logs worked again.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 04:15:08 pm by martinuzz »

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 03:52:51 pm »

I suggest somebody tries a test fortress without a tavern, to check that this is the true cause of the bug. I know that they are listed as "owned" at least some of the time.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 09:48:41 pm »

I suggest somebody tries a test fortress without a tavern, to check that this is the true cause of the bug. I know that they are listed as "owned" at least some of the time.

Counter-proposal: one test fortress with no taverns; one test fortress with a tavern but no Tavern Keepers; one test fortress with a tavern with Tavern Keeper(s).  (The last is probably common among players anyway.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 12:34:14 pm »

HOTFIX, while we wait for a bugfix: Those bugged mugs that dwarves are wearing are not owned. You can order them dumped from the dwarf's inventory list, and as long as the dwarf stands still for a sec, other dwarves will actually take the mugs off, and dump them. Then, as long as you don't assign barkeepers, dwarves will no longer get new mugs sticking to them.

TL:DR: dump bugged mugs, don't use tavern keepers

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 10:45:05 pm »

Might be that these mugs and goblets do not belong to a tavern so they're picking up the extra ones and not putting them back.
I had 23 mugs and they all appeared to be in the tavern once changing it.