Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capture huge creatures with cavern collapsed triggered cage traps  (Read 633 times)

Lordhermitcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was wondering.

Is it possible to easily work around creatures with [TRAPAVOID] since they're massive by simply making a large hall of cage traps and knocking the creatures into them via collapsing harmless parts of the ceiling?

I've used this method to capture and immortalize berserk elves many times.
THE CONCRETE IS ON FIRE

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
Re: Capture huge creatures with cavern collapsed triggered cage traps
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 10:21:39 pm »

Yes. This is a common method of capturing trap immune creatures, it works by knocking the creatures unconscious, which temporarily removes their immunity.

It should be noted that size has no bearing whatsoever on immunity to traps.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 10:44:51 pm »

Yes, elephants do not have [TRAPAVOID], and smaller creatures (see kobolds) do.

But watch out: [NOSTUN] or something similar will preclude such knock-outs; only a webbed cage will do. [TRAPAVOID] [NOSTUN] webbers can never be caged; this is usually only webber titans, FB, or clowns.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 02:42:42 am »

It seems Lordhermitcrab has confused the trapavoid ability with the bridge blocking one. Weres, kobolds, gremlins, FB/Titans, and clowns are trap avoiders (I might have missed some creature). Any creature that's sufficiently large will block a drawbridge from being raised/opened, and will cause the bridge to break if closed on them, preventing atom smashing. Apart from massively large creatures, FB/Titans and clowns are bridge blockers as well.

Stun trapping works only on gremlins and kobolds among the trap avoiders, since the bigger threats are all stun immune.

It can be noted that the semi megabeast giants are easily caught in cage traps, as are megabeasts.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 03:26:39 am »

^ He's right. The majority of [TRAPAVOID] creatures have [NOSTUN], preventing them from being knocked out by cave-in dust. To catch such creatures, you're going to have to use webbed cage traps.

PSA: Best thing to catch with the cave-in cage trap combo? Merchants. Poets. Bards. Visitors. Mercenaries. Hue hue hue hue.