Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: farming in the wake of 42.xx taverns  (Read 1624 times)

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
farming in the wake of 42.xx taverns
« on: December 16, 2015, 12:56:21 pm »

I've been playing for years and have never had a problem keeping a fort fed, and wasn't having a problem keeping my newest 42.03 fortress fed either, but once I set up a tavern things went south quickly.  planters that are assigned the plant seed labor appeared to plant a single seed before going to the tavern or temple to screw off for the rest of the season. (even though the plots were nearly empty and stockpiles of hundreds of seeds were directly adjacent to the plots)  A total of about 5 or 6 seeds were being planted every season.  After I saw the problem I doubled the number of planters and turned off all other labors for them (including hauling and feeding/watering/assisting patients) but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I'd almost call it a bug since I didn't notice the same issue with workshop related labors.  Sure, a dwarf would go reside in his cups and/or go dancing for a while, but when he went and performed a workshop labor, he did everything that was queued up before he'd go back to partying, so substantial chunks of orders were getting done.

I'm sure I could get farm production going again with burrows, but I would rather not, because you know, I don't want them to miss out on the fun and merriment.  Taverns are a big reason why I am getting back into DF at the 42.xx version and I want to see them in their full glory.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: farming in the wake of 42.xx taverns
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 01:06:40 pm »

Check the personalities of your dwarves. I believe dwarves that aren't fond of merriment(that is partying), will avoid taverning too much. Unfortunately, dwarves are party animals entity wise.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 01:08:57 pm »

Maybe this is something specific to farming.  My one herbalist brings in a constant flow of goodies without any problems.

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 01:19:50 pm »

Maybe this is something specific to farming.  My one herbalist brings in a constant flow of goodies without any problems.
Yeah, I mean, if you just watch them, you can see they get a period of time between plantings that gives them time to decide what to do.  They'll start to head to the meeting hall for a few steps before they are reminded they have a plot to farm, at which time they'll go back and do their job.  With most labors (mining for instance, and plant gathering, I'd assume) they go directly to each individual task until they get tired/hungry/thirsty without interruptions.  With the addition of the tavern and temple, it gives them another option that is quite time consuming.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 04:03:12 pm »

You need better growers, and not an army of unskilled peasants.

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 04:51:41 pm »

You need better growers, and not an army of unskilled peasants.
instead of blindly offering input you could have asked me for more details about my current setup.  before I added the tavern I had only 2 growers, both were skilled (at least proficient, although I don't know what their skill is off the top of my head and I can't check at the moment), and one of them had only growing enabled.  they were having no issues keeping the fortress fed and the booze flowing.  after the tavern was enabled, they simply stopped consistently planting things, and the situation didn't change much after I added more growers.

if anything, using an army of unskilled growers would probably solve the problem, actually, but it's not a method that I like to use.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 04:55:55 pm by anomaly »

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 05:01:41 pm »

If you aren't against micromanaging your dwarves, you could burrow-cycle them.
Season 1: Urist A and B
Season 2: Urist C and D
Therefore all of your idle farmers would get the opportunity to socialize and do other work while the farmers belonging to their season would care for your plants.

This would only make sense if your problem won't vanish otherwise.

aelystur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 05:10:28 pm »

check the colour which it says they are participating at the tavern. it may be due to prolonged period without that need being met. pink means its an intense need that must be met. i found that when i set up my taven, and temple the majority of my dwarves buggered off to meet these neglected needs. but after a while it settled back down into a rhythm. i always have more than 2 planters. usually about 6. i like to build up a stockpile of pigtails for emergency clothing replacement, so have always had extra farmers. once they had thier initial fill of the tavern or temple, my farmers were back into swing, and i didnt have any troubles building supplies back up. i do however import raw food ingredients for variety. the majority of my food is still unbrewed plump helmets and quarry bush leaf roasts

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 01:05:47 pm »

the problem seems to be mostly resolved by simply removing barrels from the seed stockpile.  there was one megabarrel that had every seed in it and forcing every hauling job to be channeled through that barrel slowed down farm production.

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 01:29:58 pm »

I keep seed stockpiles next to the farms. This increases the production rate. I also place an output stockpile next to the farms as well so the harvesters don't have far to go to drop off the stack of plump helmets. 4 harvesters for 100 dwarves and they keep my fort constantly supplied with underground vegetables.
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 01:37:00 pm »

yeah, I do all of those things on a regular basis.  I knew it wouldn't be anything obvious, because I've already done everything obvious.  Removing barrels from seed stockpiles was not very obvious, but it did the trick.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 01:38:26 pm »

Seed stockpiles are the key to either very productive or very UNproductive farms.  When in doubt, start there  :)  Good to see you found the issue.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 02:25:13 pm »

the problem seems to be mostly resolved by simply removing barrels from the seed stockpile.  there was one megabarrel that had every seed in it and forcing every hauling job to be channeled through that barrel slowed down farm production.
So a new problem turns out to be, in fact, a problem dating from 0.40.X. I am at least relieved that this release seems to be stable now. Well, stabler than before.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 03:07:03 pm »

40.x? That problem dates from at least 34.11!
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 04:19:18 pm »

to be more specific this is an old problem that has manifested in a new way.  (apparently) related to the lye bucket fix, dwarves now toss their seeds and powders in barrels rather than keeping them in bags.  storing milled flour and sugar this way results in planepacked-esque lavish roasts with dozens of ingredients.  storing dye in this way renders it completely unusable, and storing seeds in this way renders the seeds to be perpetually locked up in hauling jobs.  the workaround is to restrict barrels at your powder/seed stockpiles.

it appears as though this issue is already on the bug tracker so that's all there is to it, really.

I wish I was at my DF computer, I have a screenshot of a dwarven wine roast that was worth around 90000 dbx, made with 3x dwarven wine and about a dozen various dwarven sugar/flour ingredients.  that was an accident, and if i wanted to make something truly stupid i'm sure I could make it much larger.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 04:24:08 pm by anomaly »