Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get visitors to congregate anywhere  (Read 2555 times)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Get visitors to congregate anywhere
« on: December 15, 2015, 02:49:44 am »

I haven't seen this little tip posted yet. It can be useful to get all of your visitors alone in one place. Maybe you want to show them wonders of your arena, maybe you want to send them out to meet the invading gobos while you prepare a proper defense (after all third-party mediation has a long and illustrious role in history).

Anyways, all you have to do is set all taverns, temples and libraries to allow citizens and long term residents only (use the "r" key in the location menu). Then have only one other meeting area designated. All of your guests will slowly find their way there. It's not super fast, but it does get them to wherever you want them eventually, and it doesn't require forbidding your tavern to all of your own dwarfs. Remember that other things like memorial halls etc. count as meeting areas, so you'll have to turn those off as well.

P.S. I'm curious to know if this will cause pathing problems for others too. Often when I've done this my hunters can no longer find a path to their prey and I get a ton of job cancellation spam.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 03:27:00 am by Bakaridjan »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Get visitors to congregate anywhere
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 11:11:29 am »

extra tip: if you use civilian alert burrows to forbid the guest tavern's location, you can make sure that only guests will be there, since they will ignore a civilian alert.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 04:27:42 pm »

Sorry for necroing but I wanted to ask: won't your dwarves ever go to that meeting area?

I need to know how to get rid of these visitors. I killed them all just to see what happened and got a loyalty cascade as well as a huge increase in fps so I need to figure out how to do it without losing everything I hold dear.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 04:31:49 pm »

Next time, set the [VISITOR_CAP] or something to 3 instead of 100.

This time? As has already been stated, use a civilian alert burrow, which will only be left by a civilian if that same civilian is in battle. Normally, burrows only restrict job location, and idling is not a "job" (though performing etc. may), but civilian alert burrows affect ALL civilians and ALL their movement.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 04:50:23 pm »

Oh yeah, sorry. I forgot burrows don't work on visitors. So that means it'd be pretty easy to feed them to a siege or FB.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 03:13:23 am »

A modification of jwoodward48df's statement:
Civilian alert burrows restrict all movement TARGETS (such as eating, singing,...) to those being within the burrow, but has absolutely no effect on the pathing to get there. If the path through the undead horde at the surface is shorter than the underground one, the surface path will be taken despite all of it being outside of the burrow and the underground one being inside.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 03:25:20 am »

Civilian alert burrows restrict all movement TARGETS (such as eating, singing,...) to those being within the burrow, but has absolutely no effect on the pathing to get there. If the path through the undead horde at the surface is shorter than the underground one, the surface path will be taken despite all of it being outside of the burrow and the underground one being inside.
Can't this be corrected using pathing values? Or was the ability to set those removed at some point?

Sorry, I forget what they were actually called. The little numbered things you could place to dictate how dwarves prefer to walk around.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 03:47:35 am »

You can TRY to set up traffic restrictions. My attempts at using those have been mostly unsuccessful, though. Also, you usually want the dorfs to take the shortest path, except when the alerts are in force, so you'd need to set up/remove the traffic restrictions each siege. I'd rather recommend physical blocking of the undesired paths (locked doors will suffice for that, but bridges are better if you also want to keep invading trolls out).

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 08:42:05 am »

Sorry, I forget what they were actually called. The little numbered things you could place to dictate how dwarves prefer to walk around.

Traffic designations.  The actual numbers are in d_init.  The designations are set up in-game with d o.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 10:19:45 am »

You can change the numbers in-game.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 10:21:20 am »

Are you talking about plain burrows or civ alert burrows? I could have sworn they'd never leave the civ alert kind...
Sigtext!

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 10:34:22 am »

They will. It's pretty easy to get this wrong if you make your Danger burrow take entire z-levels and it happens to include a tiny bit of the surface as well.

I sent all my visitors out to meet a gobbo invasion. Some of them fought - the fighters I guess - but most of them just stood there and the invaders left them alone. I'm gonna make them a special meeting hall with spike traps.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 02:15:35 pm »

In my original post I never messed with burrows. I specifically wanted to isolate my visitors somewhere other than my tavern (it wouldn't do to have a bronze colossus running lose there). Since all of my other meeting areas were still open to my citizens and permanent residents and had much more interesting things to do in them, I never saw a dwarf visit my visitor-bait meeting zone. Presumably it's possible though and you would want to me careful. If you're having problems with that, then burrows are probably a necessity.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 05:42:18 pm »

It works pretty well though. I've seen some dwarves in that meeting room but only because they were passing through.