Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pig tail seeds.  (Read 11490 times)

Keevu

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather be with trees.
    • View Profile
Pig tail seeds.
« on: December 14, 2015, 09:17:28 pm »

I embarked with 8 pig tail seeds, Planted, harvested, and spun the fiber into thread. Now I don't have any seeds. I checked Z-> Kitchen and made sure I wasn't brewing them or cooking them. Could you guys let me know what you know about pig tails? I'd like to brew them, but I am unsure how to maintain a constant supply of pig tail seeds.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Re: Pig tail seeds.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 09:20:16 pm »

Are you sure they didn't already replant the seeds?
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Keevu

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather be with trees.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 09:31:17 pm »

Are you sure they didn't already replant the seeds?

Yeah I'm sure, I have a farm for it. And after spinning the pig tails into thread, in z -> kitchen I no longer have pig tail fiber seeds or pig tails. I also get the 'no seeds' option when I inspect my farm to make sure pig tails are enabled.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 09:31:29 pm »

If you're playing an unmodded 0.42.03 then pig tail seeds should work fine.  As long as you don't cook the pig tails.

Check stocks and see if the seeds exist anywhere.  Maybe they are being hauled.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 09:43:10 pm »

Are they being hauled? Did they get planted and then the plants withered? Did they get stolen?
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 04:53:21 am »

I have a feeling there is something fishy with seeds in a non predictable way. Several people, including myself, have had seeds that should have been produced being absent, only for them to be produced normally later. If failure to produce seeds can be observed and verified it would be good if it was reported on the bug tracker.

Having said that, most failures to get seeds are based on player mistakes (most already mentioned):
- All seeds still locked up in their source plant
- Withering crops
- Cooking of plants
- Cooking of seeds
- Hauling
- Theft
- Forbidden
- Stuck in cages (after having tamed animals)
- Sold
- Planted
- Withering of plants because they're not in a food stockpile
- Destruction of plants/seeds due to accidental combination of food and refuse stockpile

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 09:45:59 am »

I have been experiencing oddness with seeds as well. Maybe forbid barrels? I have noticed some items get invisible to dwarves when they're in barrels or bins this release. Bug hasn't been reported yet, because I thought I was going crazy.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 09:50:27 am »

I have been experiencing oddness with seeds as well. Maybe forbid barrels? I have noticed some items get invisible to dwarves when they're in barrels or bins this release. Bug hasn't been reported yet, because I thought I was going crazy.
I still don't use bins if I can avoid it. I just don't trust that things will be visible.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 10:25:57 am »

Remember there's a global cap on the number of seeds in one of the init files.  I think the default is 3000.  If you do a lot of plant gathering and brewing you could reach that cap quickly.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 02:42:10 pm »

Process your first batch at the farmer's workshop to get the seeds back, then potash the field (planting them just gives your planter & thresher experience) and get a good planter down there to double or even triple your output (if you used a efficient and optimal layout 1x3 will suffice for 1 potash over 3 plants and 3x5 for 4 ash which is surprisingly economical given you save 1 potash for more space it should be a piece of cake to roll it in)

Once you're swimming in plants, make 2 smallish seperate stockpiles of pig tails + the seeds and assign a still directly and solely to the pile and a kitchen to the seed pile so you can keep a eye on your stock and queue up a cull on your produce without it getting lost in your general booze stockpiles by accident while it is unrestricted on the kitchen page (make sure all your other stills + kitchens are linked too)

Enjoy your ale and side-product thread industry (good for making more bags to hold even more seeds or clay/sand)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 09:25:39 pm »

Not clay, it's technically a boulder.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!