Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question? Bug or Working as Intended?  (Read 1167 times)

Darkwood71

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question? Bug or Working as Intended?
« on: December 15, 2015, 11:52:54 pm »

I ran into a strange issue. My miner was channeling out a section of ground that was next to a tree, and when he finished channeling, he became stuck in the tree with no ground underneath him. I have a save of this, but I wanted to check and see if it was significant before submitting a bug.

Thoughts?

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
Re: Question? Bug or Working as Intended?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 12:44:44 am »

He might be hanging from the tree to prevent himself from falling and now can't figure out how to get down. The only thing for it is to chop down the tree and hope it shakes the little guy out. Otherwise, yes, it might be a bug.
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 04:00:06 am »

I'd either cut down the tree or build a stair beside him.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 05:37:22 am »

In my experience, dwarves trapped in trees come down sooner or later (much later sometimes) on their own. Cutting the tree wil severely injure or even kill them.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 08:17:09 am »

In my experience, dwarves trapped in trees come down sooner or later (much later sometimes) on their own. Cutting the tree wil severely injure or even kill them.

Mine tend to die of hunger or thirst in the trees.

mgotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 11:07:31 am »

My current fort had two Brewers take to the trees to escape a Chinchilla (scary I know). They died of thirst.  Same thing happened with a couple of others, but I built stairs or cut down the trees to get them down.

PS - falling out of a tree when it's cut down is only one Z- level;  It didn't harm my guy at all.  Though, you could get unlucky and get hit by a falling log, I guess.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 03:02:29 pm »

You can climb higher than one z-level. :P Then you'd fall more than one z-level.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Darkwood71

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 03:55:33 pm »

Once I noticed him, I took the save, and then cut him down. It wasn't a major game issue, but an oddity that I'm not sure is worth a bug report.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 05:34:27 pm »

There is 9252, "Dwarves get stuck in trees" in Mantis already. May be it.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 10:08:18 pm »

If you wanna see a bug wait until a dwarf loses a limb.  The game will act as if they still have it, and so any wounds on that limb before it was cut off will still 'be there' and they'll sit in the hospital forever waiting for treatment.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.