Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hypothetical question about mercenaries  (Read 971 times)

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
Hypothetical question about mercenaries
« on: December 13, 2015, 12:34:30 pm »

If I were to have a military squad consisting entirely of non-dwarves, let's say, an elven mercenary squad, and my fort were to be besieged by elves, and I sent my mercs out to fight them, which side, if any, would take a morale hit from fighting their own race?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Hypothetical question about mercenaries
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 02:11:55 pm »

First, you cannot make an all-mercenary squad.

Second, there is not morale drop from a dwarf killing a dwarf, as far as I know, so: no.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hypothetical question about mercenaries
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 08:08:18 am »

For literal reasons, mercenaries are soldiers purely for hire, their personal ethics are not a immediate concern really, and in petitioning up for your service, they offer loyalty to your kin to be lead into battle under your instructions and leadership.

Though it'd be interesting to see some occasional loyalty/morale cascading depending on the individual it'd be too troublesome to have it as a automatic reaction to all mirrored race conflict. (stopping dwarf tantrums without a means to establish how dangerous someone is would be harder if people wont step in to stop a friend, leading to accusations that they condone the action.)